PDA

View Full Version : My Golf 118 TSI engine expired!

Frog Hollow
10-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Hi all,

My engine expired after only 26months, 27,000kms. I had the knock sensor updated when I purched the car and had the mixture updated in Feb this year but it still died. :( It's in the shop awating a rebuild as I type. I only ever used 98 RON fuel.

Just wondering if anyone out there (who has had the same problem) managed to get VW to extend or restart the warranty after an engine repair/replacement?

Lucas_R
11-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Another 118TSI dead. Shame to hear, but its so common its un believable.

Given its a very well known fault of the engine tuning running too lean (thats the #1 reason for the engine failures anyway) VW should fix it even if the car is out of warranty.

spritz
11-10-2012, 02:05 AM
join the club:

Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures - VWWatercooled (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/golf-118-tsi-engine-failures-resolved-via-service-campaign-24s4-44540.html)

582 posts of misery and counting...

time to trade it in for a mk6 gti :p

GregoInc
11-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Hi all,

My engine expired after only 26months, 27,000kms. I had the knock sensor updated when I purched the car and had the mixture updated in Feb this year but it still died. :( It's in the shop awating a rebuild as I type. I only ever used 98 RON fuel.

Just wondering if anyone out there (who has had the same problem) managed to get VW to extend or restart the warranty after an engine repair/replacement?

Just out of curiosity what year is your 118... as I'd heard this mostly happened with cars around the 2010 vintage. My wife's 118 is a 2012 model and so far it has been fantastic.

Lucas_R
11-10-2012, 10:14 AM
It seems to be mostly the earlier 2009/2010 versions that have the problems. VW did realise this fault on their part and had a recall to update the engines software to run richer. But it seems that in alot of cases, it was either too late and the damage was already done, or some peoples cars were not upgraded.

When this engine was released in the Mk5 as the GT model, there were very few engine failures, but when they were released in the MK6, the power output was reduced slightly and the fuel consumption went down something like 2.0L per/100km......therefore running the engine very very lean.........too lean for many of them which is why they go bang and end up with holes in the pistons.

It seems that if you have a 2009/2010 version and its been chipped with (insert tuner choice here) then they have avoided most of these engine problems. The reason here would be the fact that the new tune runs richer than the stock VW tune.

Frog Hollow
11-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Just out of curiosity what year is your 118... as I'd heard this mostly happened with cars around the 2010 vintage. My wife's 118 is a 2012 model and so far it has been fantastic.

It's the 2010 vintage. Such a great car to drive, I love it. Such a shame that so many people have to go thru this. Going to make it tough for VW to become number one car seller unless they do something special to keep so many disapointed drivers...

Parso
11-10-2012, 11:36 PM
You'll usually see one of these cars sitting all forlorn in the corner at most VW dealerships just waiting for its engine internals or complete motor, they are failing everywhere. Make sure they replace all the pistons too as they'll all fail eventually.
The big thing about having these tuned is the tuner will often log the cars and they will know straight away if the AFR's are too lean or knock retard values too high and they'll hopefully do something about it before the thing expires for good.

Silvrfoxx
12-10-2012, 04:36 PM
I was talking to another forum member who had his mechatronics unit swapped under warranty and i believe it comes with a 2year warranty from the time of install. I suggest you check with the service shop and with VW Australia

Ideo
12-10-2012, 05:29 PM
I was talking to another forum member who had his mechatronics unit swapped under warranty and i believe it comes with a 2year warranty from the time of install. I suggest you check with the service shop and with VW Australia

Awesome. Get it tuned and protect the engine.

And get the warranty for the gearbox ignored as a result.

It's sad to say but VW really dropped the ball on the 118.

Hunter
13-10-2012, 12:20 PM
My 118 has a weird knocking sound from start. If its rev'd at stationary to about 2k rpm it disappears but returns quieter. What would this be?

siegey
13-10-2012, 01:35 PM
This definitely concerns me haha,

I just hope mine lasts until the mk7 comes out! :D Then sweet trade in, or sale for one of those bad boys

Frog Hollow
15-10-2012, 01:41 PM
My 118 has a weird knocking sound from start. If its rev'd at stationary to about 2k rpm it disappears but returns quieter. What would this be?
Mine never had any nocking noises, just a rough idle and a lack of "get up and go" at low reves. If you do have a nocking noise, I'd firstly check you have enough of the right oil type in the engine. If not, top it up, if you do get it checked at next service.

Hunter
29-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Mine never had any nocking noises, just a rough idle and a lack of "get up and go" at low reves. If you do have a nocking noise, I'd firstly check you have enough of the right oil type in the engine. If not, top it up, if you do get it checked at next service.

I've noticed if I have the clutch in while stationary, it doesn't make the knocking sound either :-/

Hi all,

I bought this car second hand, and I found out from VWwatercooled that the previous owner had the engine changed :-/ not too sure why as of yet THOUGH I did also read that if you had an engine change that you automatically get an extended 2 year warantee on the engine too.

falcon killer
02-11-2012, 08:40 PM
My 118 has a weird knocking sound from start. If its rev'd at stationary to about 2k rpm it disappears but returns quieter. What would this be?s

sounds like timing chain tensioner check your oil level these cars burn heaps of oil

Frog Hollow
04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
After 6 weeks of waiting I'm still without my Golf. Turns out mine is one of 3 Golf's at the same dealership that is in for an engine rebuild. VW should be doing a full recall on this engine or at least offing a "Buy Back" scheme. I put that to them and asked for an additional 3 year warranty. They said NO. Assume that means they have no faith in their product and expect it to fail again!! They did say there is a 2 year parts warranty on items replace. Like that does me a lot of good! "Sorry sir, your piston has melted again, here is another one. Oh, and you have to pay someone to fit it." Great.
Guess I have to off load before my warranty expires, certainly won't be buying a VW ever again...

karjadi15
04-11-2012, 01:47 PM
I dont know if its their engineering as people say it is that is going wrong. Why is it that its only happening in Sydney and Australia but not many place else in the world. And to think that the same gearbox goes into the A1 and A3 Models. Same gearbox goes into the Polo models as well but nothing happens there. And also THE EXACT same engine goes into the A1 sport model producing a whopping 137kw. So people say that the engine is way too small for the 118 power and already treading on the edge of its limits but then why is the A1 so much faster and still have massive potential for an even bigger tune with no problems? THis is something the VAG company still have not figured out I guess.
They should as you say own up to their own creation in a way but its still very confusing that the problems only seem to arise here.

spritz
04-11-2012, 04:42 PM
I dont know if its their engineering as people say it is that is going wrong. Why is it that its only happening in Sydney and Australia but not many place else in the world.

unfortunately, that is not the case.

people are having issues with the 118TSI in Europe as well (or the 160TSI as it's known over there).

And to think that the same gearbox goes into the A1 and A3 Models. Same gearbox goes into the Polo models as well but nothing happens there. And also THE EXACT same engine goes into the A1 sport model producing a whopping 137kw.

i doubt that.

it would be pretty silly if they didn't make some engineering fixes before putting it on Audi's production lines.

but the good news for prospective Golf MK7 owners is that this engine will no longer be used, woohoo!

Wokstar
04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
unfortunately, that is not the case.

people are having issues with the 118TSI in Europe as well (or the 160TSI as it's known over there).

We've had a similar problem with our 118TSI, It had a misfiring issue at start up and I thought the motor was going to cark it. It's happening in Melbourne too... Sent it back to Camberwell Volkswagen, had a water pump change, they were about to change the supercharger too but decided against it. It's a world wide known issue and for some weird reason it was VW Russia which was coming to a consensus to how they'd fix it. I keep trying to quote the latest servicing campaigns and make sure they update the software all the time. It just turns out that we have a beautifully designed engine in theory but really its a ticking time bomb. Luckily for myself this is my mum's daily and she doesn't go over 3,000rpm so I don't have many worries, I give it the beans which I borrow it for kicks (or when I want a scene change from my GTI) just to make sure it still revs out aka "Clean the valves" It's just a shame such a well designed motor (in theory) doesn't do so well in the hot Australian climates. I remember driving on a 35deg day in the 118 and got the oil temps well past 103deg.

i doubt that.

it would be pretty silly if they didn't make some engineering fixes before putting it on Audi's production lines.

but the good news for prospective Golf MK7 owners is that this engine will no longer be used, woohoo!

A little bit of hx, the 118TSI motor is the same as the MkV GT 125kw motor but running even leaner. Ever wonder why after you drive it and get out you hear the waterpump and fans running. THESE MOFOS RUN HOT! I reckon with the Polo GTI and the A1 Sport running the same motor but at a higher power, the engine has been remapped to run richer hence protecting the engine. I'm beginning to 1. Sell the car before the warranty is over or 2. Find an APR or GIAC tune that will help clean up the tune and hopefully make the lower end run richer and protect the motor. Using up a little bit more petrol to save the car sounds like a reasonable compromise.

karjadi15
04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Well for as much I know and experience, people in Asia and SEA havnt had much problems with the 118TSI. I know for a fact that a few of the A3 that uses the same gearbox as the 118tsi keeps coming back to the factory as well, so no they havnt fixed any stupid mistakes they did in the first place. Not the 2.0t model here yeh? But the Polos dont have a problem as much as I have heard. And the A1 sport seems to be going fine as well. So dont know..... *shrugs. Great car the 118tsi I still stand to believe, still makes me smile while I drive but for me hearing about the stories, I just not gonna risk waiting for something to happen. Selling it and already got a new car. So myabe we all should do that then : P

Wokstar
04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Well for as much I know and experience, people in Asia and SEA havnt had much problems with the 118TSI. I know for a fact that a few of the A3 that uses the same gearbox as the 118tsi keeps coming back to the factory as well, so no they havnt fixed any stupid mistakes they did in the first place. Not the 2.0t model here yeh? But the Polos dont have a problem as much as I have heard. And the A1 sport seems to be going fine as well. So dont know..... *shrugs. Great car the 118tsi I still stand to believe, still makes me smile while I drive but for me hearing about the stories, I just not gonna risk waiting for something to happen. Selling it and already got a new car. So myabe we all should do that then : P

It all comes down to how they've tuned the cars, VW obviously didn't do enough homework in Australia. Keep in mind that because so much boost is being generated in these small motors (118) eat as much oil as their up-rated siblings (Polo GTI/A1 Sport). Yeah, you did the right thing, selling the car was probably smarter.

BTW, anyone here got an ECU tune on the 118TSI? Apart from the power gains, does the car run more smoothly?

karjadi15
04-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I know there was massively less lag from the car and also a better fuel economy. In terms of how jerky the car may get....I dont know. Was tempted but was so scared of the risks it may give me with an even bigger power through the gearbox especially.

Wokstar
04-11-2012, 07:22 PM
The 7-Speed DSG was always a crappy experiment of a gearbox. The first thing they got wrong was making a dry gearbox. As from my-gti the gearbox is rated to handle up to 250nm the APR tune gives 151kw and 317nm which is a good 67nm more than what the gearbox is rated to handle. From all the horror stories from my friends breaking DSG boxes in Audis and VWs, they aren't cheap to rebuild. I'm now in two worlds... Protect the engine at the cost of the gearbox or continue as and hope for the best. Bearing in mind, it's only my mum who drives it so its always driven quietly soflty... Hmmm...I'm stuck on the fence. :(

mattyeR20
04-11-2012, 07:32 PM
For the TSI, don't do it... imho

Hunter
05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
After 6 weeks of waiting I'm still without my Golf. Turns out mine is one of 3 Golf's at the same dealership that is in for an engine rebuild. VW should be doing a full recall on this engine or at least offing a "Buy Back" scheme. I put that to them and asked for an additional 3 year warranty. They said NO. Assume that means they have no faith in their product and expect it to fail again!! They did say there is a 2 year parts warranty on items replace. Like that does me a lot of good! "Sorry sir, your piston has melted again, here is another one. Oh, and you have to pay someone to fit it." Great.
Guess I have to off load before my warranty expires, certainly won't be buying a VW ever again...

I found out through VW Watercooled that my car has had its engine replaced where sales at McCarroll's never told me this. At least it has a 2 year extended warantee on the motor.

It's in at VW today to check the sluggish revs, knocking sound and new brakes :)

Frog Hollow
07-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I found out through VW Watercooled that my car has had its engine replaced where sales at McCarroll's never told me this. At least it has a 2 year extended warantee on the motor.

It's in at VW today to check the sluggish revs, knocking sound and new brakes :)

Are you sure about that warranty, the email I got from VW Australia said it was only a 2 year parts warranty. If a piston melts, they give you another one but you have to pay labour...

Frog Hollow
07-11-2012, 09:55 PM
The 7-Speed DSG was always a crappy experiment of a gearbox. The first thing they got wrong was making a dry gearbox. As from my-gti the gearbox is rated to handle up to 250nm the APR tune gives 151kw and 317nm which is a good 67nm more than what the gearbox is rated to handle. From all the horror stories from my friends breaking DSG boxes in Audis and VWs, they aren't cheap to rebuild. I'm now in two worlds... Protect the engine at the cost of the gearbox or continue as and hope for the best. Bearing in mind, it's only my mum who drives it so its always driven quietly soflty... Hmmm...I'm stuck on the fence. :(

Driving it gently is the worst thing, engine runs leans and hot. Better to drive hard, engine runs rich and cooler!

vwag_boi
11-11-2012, 01:24 PM
118's are alright in europe actually due to the higher octane n europaen countries, i think the real issue with them is the petrol, I would'nt put anything less than 98, otherwise your engine will be pre-detonating (pinging), it's the engines comp ratio.

Hunter
11-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Are you sure about that warranty, the email I got from VW Australia said it was only a 2 year parts warranty. If a piston melts, they give you another one but you have to pay labour...

As far as k know it's all covered, BUT if you raise an enquiry and theres nothing wrong, you pay for the labour

Parso
11-11-2012, 02:48 PM
118's are alright in europe actually due to the higher octane n europaen countries, i think the real issue with them is the petrol, I would'nt put anything less than 98, otherwise your engine will be pre-detonating (pinging), it's the engines comp ratio.

Nothing worse than detonating before detonation :lol:

Our fuel is crap here, the '98' is not 98 I have this issue every time I log a car over here and have to send data back to Europe. We get shafted.
The Superchips tunes on these motors are the only ones I'll do and so far they've been great & certainly not stupidly lean like factory, the only concern though is that you may get to tune a car where the damage has already been done and that this would then get blamed on the tune when you know for a fact that its not the case. On the plus side my VW contacts assure me there is no issue getting these fixed in any even such are the quantities being replaced - tuned or not.

zhifchik
11-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Play nice :cool:

Wokstar
11-11-2012, 05:16 PM
The more I read these 118TSI threads, the more inclined I am to getting rid of it now... :(

Frog Hollow
11-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Our fuel is crap here, the '98' is not 98 I have this issue every time I log a car over here and have to send data back to Europe. We get shafted.
The Superchips tunes on these motors are the only ones I'll do and so far they've been great & certainly not stupidly lean like factory, the only concern though is that you may get to tune a car where the damage has already been done and that this would then get blamed on the tune when you know for a fact that its not the case. On the plus side my VW contacts assure me there is no issue getting these fixed in any even such are the quantities being replaced - tuned or not.

Hi Paraso,

I don't know much about the aftermarket chips, assume there are a few options. What would you recommend and what sort results could I expect? What sort of fuel economy can I expect?
Also I donít quite understand your comment about what the VW contacts are saying. Have the issues with the engine finally been fixed or are you saying itís easy to fix/rebuild engine when it goes wrong?

Parso
12-11-2012, 12:07 AM
From the guys I speak to they haven't had any reason to deny a claim when there are issues with these motors as quite a number have failed/are failing. He told me that it only seems to be the stock ones that are failing too.
With the Tune choice I'm biased so of course I'll say Superchips & with a Bluefin enabled option. I know they have done a lot of work on these motors in the UK and its shows when you drive the things too, even a heavy ar$ed Jetta with the 1.4 gets up a goes too and fuel economy is ridiculously low .........compared to my car LOL

Frog Hollow
12-11-2012, 09:43 PM
From the guys I speak to they haven't had any reason to deny a claim when there are issues with these motors as quite a number have failed/are failing. He told me that it only seems to be the stock ones that are failing too.
With the Tune choice I'm biased so of course I'll say Superchips & with a Bluefin enabled option. I know they have done a lot of work on these motors in the UK and its shows when you drive the things too, even a heavy ar$ed Jetta with the 1.4 gets up a goes too and fuel economy is ridiculously low .........compared to my car LOL

Ok, thanks. I'll do some reseach, maybe the easiest/cheapesteasiest/cheapest way to keep the engines running!

Frog Hollow
17-11-2012, 08:13 AM
After 50 long days in the workshop my Golf is finally back on the road. So far all seems fine other than a greasy hand print on the inside of the B pillar. Back to running in procedures for the next 1000-1500 kM.

Still no love from VW as far as extending the warranty. They don't seem to want to give anything, wonder if that means engine problems are going to be ongoing? My be I should sell before the M7 comes out? Go back to something Japanese, they seem to be a lot more reliable...

Wokstar
17-11-2012, 11:15 AM
It's just the 1.4L Twin-charged engine paired with the dry clutch 7-speed DSG which makes a terrible combination. Upgrade to a GTI ;)

mattyeR20
17-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Gotta hate the fact that everyone goes and buys a new golf/near new/ golf as a first car (and chooses the cheaper options which are prone to so much problems) and it turns them off from VW.

Guess thats the price to pay though with a VW/any other european over the japs.

But yeah with the money you put into a TSI (118 primarily problematic), i would rather put that into a japanese car honestly.

spritz
17-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Gotta hate the fact that everyone goes and buys a new golf/near new/ golf as a first car (and chooses the cheaper options which are prone to so much problems) and it turns them off from VW.

yeah, it's the consumer's fault for not being able to afford the gti and r, damn plebs

:rolleyes:

Wokstar
17-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Guess thats the price to pay though with a VW/any other european over the japs.

But yeah with the money you put into a TSI (118 primarily problematic), i would rather put that into a japanese car honestly.

So you're saying people should exclusively only buy a Golf in GTI or R trim? Just because they are spending more, they will in-turn have less problems? That's a pretty naive comment. "Normal people" don't choose to spend 40+ on a "sports hatch" and not too many people want to or have that money to spend... People have different needs for their cars. In most cases, "normal people" want to get from A-to-B, like a small European car with a bit more quality/class than your everyday Japanese car and would like to spend just that little more and would just buy a 77TSI/90TSI/118TSI/103TDI or something like that because they're not car enthusiasts like you or me who would like something a little "more special", has a bit more go and sits on these forums...

Nobody buys a car knowing/wishing it has problems, people like a car that is reliable and just works...I doubt these cars ever go through the same kind of thorough testing Porsche puts into their cars before releasing them (which yes, you goes back to your get what you pay for argument). However, I wouldn't be expecting less problems for paying more, just look at Ferrari as a fine example...

As I've reiterated as per above, it was just a terrible combination and VW has failed to rectify PROPERLY (let alone take accountability) for what is considered International Engine of the Year since 2006 till today, but can't get their shit together...

mattyeR20
17-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Guess I phrased my statement wrong.

It's sad to see people going to shop for Golfs expecting they're getting a well refined and good product and ends up with a lemon, especially when the more affordable VW's are covered with problems. I'm just saying it sucks that VW's best selling models are so problematic and its turning people away from the brand.

I'm in no way saying it's the consumers fault, if you interpreted my comment that way then by all means do as you wish.

Just want to clear things up..

In my previous post the line :-
"Guess thats the price to pay though with a VW/any other european over the japs."

Essentially meant that because people want to own a european car, they go for the models in their budget but there's a lot of problems in these models, and because VW sees a big market they're pumping out garbage as fast as they can.

zero
17-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Hence whycu buy a amarok

Slinz
17-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but as someone looking at buying a Golf (and potentially a Mk 6 TSI) I may as well ask:

Is this an engine issue and therefore an issue for autos AND manuals? Or is it - as mentioned in a couple of comments - only a problem for cars with the DSG box?

I can't imagine how a change of transmission could rectify a lean engine but some posts seem to suggest that the DSG-TSI combo is the problem.

Frog Hollow
28-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but as someone looking at buying a Golf (and potentially a Mk 6 TSI) I may as well ask:

Is this an engine issue and therefore an issue for autos AND manuals? Or is it - as mentioned in a couple of comments - only a problem for cars with the DSG box?

I can't imagine how a change of transmission could rectify a lean engine but some posts seem to suggest that the DSG-TSI combo is the problem.

Hi Slinz,

My Golf is a manual and it died. Don't by a VW with a DSG or a 118TSI engine. If you want a Golf, go for a 90 TSI manual, doesn't seem to be many problems with those.

Slinz
01-12-2012, 02:54 AM
Hi Slinz,

My Golf is a manual and it died. Don't by a VW with a DSG or a 118TSI engine. If you want a Golf, go for a 90 TSI manual, doesn't seem to be many problems with those.

Thanks!

Yeah I did more reading on VWW and came to that conclusion pretty much. I've always wanted a manual just because I like the third pedal, but the 118TSI engine seems to be pretty troublesome also (until after MY2011 or something). Now I'm taking a step back and looking to the Mk V's and the 2.0 FSI, to keep things simple.

Glad someone finally replied to that!

Paul_OH
01-12-2012, 03:08 AM
Now I'm taking a step back and looking to the Mk V's and the 2.0 FSI, to keep things simple.

Check out a MkV GT TSI to see how much fun these engines can be/were before they tried to steal too much economy from them: http://www.carsales.com.au/car/brand%20new/dealer/demo/private/VOLKSWAGEN/GOLF/South%20Australia?eapi=2&sort=default&vertical=Car&silo=Stock&base=1216&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5&find=gt|CarAll&keyword=gt

The Mk6 vs the MkV 1.4 TSI has a completely different character and you get to save some $$ in the process!

Slinz
04-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Check out a MkV GT TSI to see how much fun these engines can be/were before they tried to steal too much economy from them: http://www.carsales.com.au/car/brand%20new/dealer/demo/private/VOLKSWAGEN/GOLF/South%20Australia?eapi=2&sort=default&vertical=Car&silo=Stock&base=1216&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5&find=gt|CarAll&keyword=gt

The Mk6 vs the MkV 1.4 TSI has a completely different character and you get to save some $$ in the process!

Thanks Paul. I've had a fair hunt through this and VWW to try to help make up my mind on things. In the end it'll probably just come down to what's the best deal I can get on a GT/TDI/FSI when I get back to Australia. The only one I want to avoid is the 1.6 NA engine which looks to be a real bore.

Sorry for jacking this thread momentarily - hopefully there are very few posts to follow!

dk5177
07-12-2012, 10:21 AM

It's been for a year that I had dilemma whether I should get current MKVI 118TSI or MKV GT SPORT and I made my deicision on MKV GT SPORT.

Since then, I never regreted my decision! It's awesome engine without any problem.

GoldZilla
04-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Hey peoples, I'm new to this forum, and just wondering if the 118TSI problems are the same whether it's in a Golf Mk. VI or in the Jetta.

1. Seeing as they use the same engine with the same tune, I'm guessing the same issues regardless, right?

2. Or do the new cars not have the issue due to running changes over the life of the model?

3. If the new cars still have issues, can it be sorted with an aftermarket tune?

My olds are soon to be in the market for a new car, and we're wondering if we snap up a bargain Mk. VI or Jetta, or wait for the Mk. VII, seeing as it's due late April or early May.

mattyeR20
04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
I would just steer clear of the 118 TSI

GregoInc
04-01-2013, 10:14 AM
I would just steer clear of the 118 TSI

Disagree, my wife has a 2012 model and its an excellent car. Early models had issues, but that's old news.

GoldZilla
05-01-2013, 12:03 AM
More information would be greatly appreciated!

GoldZilla
08-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Anyone???

Nabsta
08-01-2013, 01:18 AM
My wife has a 118 TSI and she loves it. Only issue? Her driving! Just because it's too slow if you ask my son, and she can only contact park! :lol:

She managed to blow 2 turbos on her TDI still!

Every model has its lemons. The TSI was bound to be tricky given the unique force-fed combination but they have ironed things out...

GoldZilla
11-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks David, much appreciated! Turns out we might wait for a Mk VII 103TSI

SLAF
24-01-2013, 10:51 AM
The more I read these 118TSI threads, the more inclined I am to getting rid of it now... :(

I did. After my first engine blew up, I traded in on a diesel wagon. Cost $15000 changeover, but the 118's resale value would be tiny once the Mk7 comes in.

donovan_ferguson
24-01-2013, 05:27 PM
I put that to them and asked for an additional 3 year warranty. They said NO. Assume that means they have no faith in their product and expect it to fail again!! They did say there is a 2 year parts warranty on items replace. Like that does me a lot of good! "Sorry sir, your piston has melted again, here is another one. Oh, and you have to pay someone to fit it."...

Hi Cameron,

I just picked my car up from Camberell Volkswagen... essentially the same warranty job as you. I had noticed your post a few weeks ago and so it was in the back of my mind to follow-up with my dealer and ensure I got warranty coverage for both parts and labor.

The service report for my warranty job clearly states that both parts and labor are covered under 2 year warranty provided they are purchased and installed by an authorised Volkswagen dealer.

You might like to follow-up with your dealer and clarify the matter.

Cheers, DF

Frog Hollow
23-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Hi Cameron,

I just picked my car up from Camberell Volkswagen... essentially the same warranty job as you. I had noticed your post a few weeks ago and so it was in the back of my mind to follow-up with my dealer and ensure I got warranty coverage for both parts and labor.

The service report for my warranty job clearly states that both parts and labor are covered under 2 year warranty provided they are purchased and installed by an authorised Volkswagen dealer.

You might like to follow-up with your dealer and clarify the matter.

Cheers, DF

Hi Donovan,

Yes I have spoken to VW Australia a couple of times on this. You get results when you send a letter to Anke's home address asking for assistance. They actually tell me there is an unofficial warranty for up to 7 years depending on fault and service history of car. I'm a little sceptical about that though. Customer service is still an issue for me. After my first letter they said they would send me some more info on warranties and extended warranty information and costs but it never arrived. I have sent a second letter...

donovan_ferguson
23-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Please do feel free to send me Anke's home address in a private message.

118 Owner
15-03-2013, 06:24 PM
You can add another one to your count. Mine came up with the knock sensor on New years day 40 degree day in Perth. Cracked number 1 piston. Six weeks later we got it back, with new pistons rings and bottom end bearings.

Hunter
15-03-2013, 06:38 PM
You can add another one to your count. Mine came up with the knock sensor on New years day 40 degree day in Perth. Cracked number 1 piston. Six weeks later we got it back, with new pistons rings and bottom end bearings.

My cylinder 2 is cracked (I think/found out today) It's boosting 90PSI instead of 150PSI.

donovan_ferguson
18-03-2013, 03:55 PM
My cylinder 2 is cracked (I think/found out today) It's boosting 90PSI instead of 150PSI.

Yeah... I think they call this "low compression". I have not yet commenced my war on Volkswagen, mainly for lack for time, but this week...

Hunter
19-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks David, much appreciated! Turns out we might wait for a Mk VII 103TSI

For me, it's that or an A1 when/if I get my car back

Yeah... I think they call this "low compression". I have not yet commenced my war on Volkswagen, mainly for lack for time, but this week...

My car is BACK AGAIN at Volkswagen (though I think you're the winner here). Haven't gotten a call from them today as of yet but yesterday they were trying to find a fault code because nothing is coming up on their scan but the test showed these results.

Hunter
20-03-2013, 04:42 PM
So I'm getting new pistons.

Grandavo
01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Here is another one that died after 22000 kms. I was very happy with my 2010 Golf. I bought it as the car of the year and engine of the year in 2011. How wrong was this!! The engine was replaced with a new one and then 1000km later the clutch started shuddering. A new clutch pack was fitted and all was well. After much hassling I secured a letter from VW Australia confirming extended warranty. I recently traded it for an i30. Sorry VW your Great Brand has suffered.

donovan_ferguson
17-04-2013, 04:40 AM
So I'm getting new pistons.

Oh yeah baby... complete engine overhaul! At least your service costs will drop!

golfguy
30-04-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm one of the suckers who purchased a used one of these (2009 60,000km - just out of warranty) last year, thinking I could upgrade to a brand new Golf 7 later this year.

I did my research and had the car inspected before buying, and went over all the service history with a fine tooth comb. Everything had been done by the book, yet the problems started the day I collected from the original owner... It literally broke down on my way home due to the megatronics failing. VW sorted it no issues even though it was out of warranty, offering some peace of mind.

Most recently, the car would not change up through the gears, almost causing me to have a serious accident after taking my chances at a busy give way sign (Stuck in first gear, no power) I took the car to VW and they ran the diagnostics on it. Apparently this issue is related to the supercharger? I have no idea what that means... I'm waiting for them to start work on the car so, will see how it all goes?

Has anyone else had similar issues? Or can anyone shed some light on the supercharger/issues mentioned?

donovan_ferguson
30-04-2013, 12:55 AM
Apparently this issue is related to the supercharger? I have no idea what that means... I'm waiting for them to start work on the car so, will see how it all goes?

Has anyone else had similar issues? Or can anyone shed some light on the supercharger/issues mentioned?

Hi Clint,

First I've heard of Super Charger issues. The twin charger combination is by all accounts a winner. Might be worthwhile starting a new thread for this issue? I don't believe (although someone may correct me) that the systemic clutch issues being experienced (everywhere) would be connected to a Super Charger issue.

Has your vehicle had any warranty work done previously (recalls, service campaigns etc). Has it had a clutch kit?

Let us know how you go!!?

Regards, DF

spritz
30-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I did my research...

can't imagine why you'd purchase a 118tsi dsg then :/

of all the engine and gearbox combinations, that's probably the worst

these engines are anything but trustworthy, but i don't think supercharger issues are common

trying searching through this thread from another forum, you might get more help:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f112/golf-118-tsi-engine-failures-resolved-via-service-campaign-24s4-44540.html

Mochi
01-05-2013, 11:01 PM
My car is also the same late model 2009 Golf 118TSI DSG, just did it's 90,000kms service. Everything runs smooth, was told there are no problems with it whatsoever... It had recall 37G7 done at 60,000kms and everything was fine from the beginning.. recently had Superchips do an ECU upgrade, the car now has more power and the shuddering from 1st to 2nd gear disappeared. I was told by superchips that 118's engine was running too lean on oil, and the vw recall and tune would fix this issue. I hate all this rage about 118 engine sucks,etc.. but I'm sorry for those who've had a bad engine, but mine has been great and still loving it heaps.

the supercharger never had any issues on mine, so like DF said maybe start a new thread about the supercharger issue?

oas
02-10-2013, 01:12 AM
My car is also the same late model 2009 Golf 118TSI DSG, just did it's 90,000kms service. Everything runs smooth, was told there are no problems with it whatsoever... It had recall 37G7 done at 60,000kms and everything was fine from the beginning.. recently had Superchips do an ECU upgrade, the car now has more power and the shuddering from 1st to 2nd gear disappeared. I was told by superchips that 118's engine was running too lean on oil, and the vw recall and tune would fix this issue. I hate all this rage about 118 engine sucks,etc.. but I'm sorry for those who've had a bad engine, but mine has been great and still loving it heaps.

the supercharger never had any issues on mine, so like DF said maybe start a new thread about the supercharger issue?

Did the superchip make any difference to the slight hesitation / bogdown when taking off?
Not sure if the increase of hp and torque would make any difference to sub-2000rpm performance.
Been driving my mum's 118TSI around and it's painful taking off from the lights.
Workaround is taking off in S gear, then changing back to D once I hit crusing speed.

I've got a Superchip on my MK5 GTI and more than happy with the results.

Hunter
02-10-2013, 11:51 AM
LOL I completely forgot about this. I feel so sorry for the poor bugger who bought my car. It was sold within a week after trade. Apparently it sold for $17k the same day it was advertised at Prestige Auto.

spritz
02-10-2013, 03:01 PM
LOL I completely forgot about this. I feel so sorry for the poor bugger who bought my car. It was sold within a week after trade. Apparently it sold for $17k the same day it was advertised at Prestige Auto.

forget about it - it's not your problem anymore

the only people who'll buy this particular model are those willing to take a punt or those who haven't done their research

caveat emptor (buyer beware) applies to all

Ernz1981
02-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Well...at least the buyer has the 3 month stat warranty as they bought from a licensed dealer.

Dealers like real estate agents aren't legally obligated to tell you alot of things...so they don't

But the fact remains, if a particular model of car is good people tend to hang onto them. If there is an influx on the market you need to ask yourself..why???

Hunter
04-10-2013, 12:13 PM
I miss that car though (minus the issues). It was hot. My A3 feels and looks lacking.

will86_
04-10-2013, 03:37 PM
trade her in for a new golf Julian!

oas
29-04-2014, 10:10 PM

They ended up recalling and replacing the clutches in the gearbox.
Rides a lot smoother now, but still has a slight hesitation