Bimota DB7 Oronero 1 of 30 in the World CF frame and fairings, Detail!
This is a special detail that I had the opportunity to do. Due to the rarity, build, and performance of this bike!
A little about the bike:
Taken from bimotaaustralia.com.au
"A hand crafted motorcycle built in Rimini, Italy, exclusively to specific dimensions and customisations to suit the individual rider. Using Technology by some of the best engineers in the world, Bimota choose to power the DB7 with the spectacular World Superbike dominating Ducati Testastretta Evoluzione engine. Ducati, a partner of Bimota from the beginning, has developed the Testastretta into the world's most powerful and dominating production twin cylinder, while retaining all the advantages of the L-Twin configuration.
It's a perfect match to the Bimota formula and guarantees absolute excitement with every twist of the throttle.
The hammering 160+ horsepower Ducati 1099 engine rattles up a storm in even neutral thanks to a semi-exposed dry clutch. It's map is race tuned for more midrange, but that was hardly necessary; the 1098 happily lifted the front wheel in third gear with no such additional grunt. With all weight savings, Oronero makes through its use of carbon fibre, the bike ends up with a hair-raising 1:1 horsepower to weight ratio.
Carbon fibre throughout, offering the ultimate combination of strength and light weight flexibility and superbike performance."
Now you understand. The great thing about this bike is the owner rides it regularly AMAZINGLY, downside is bikes always cop it so it needed a fair bit of work around the place.
A brief outline of what I used and the process taken is listed below (note this is not everything):
fairings and body parts removed including windshield
a combination of APC and degreaser used on engine, wheels, exhaust, suspension and all other nooks and crannies especially around rear sets and chain area (3 hours alone)
inside of fairings cleaned thoroughly
completely rinsed and blown dry using a leaf blower, air compressor, and a multitude of microfibres
area of concern taped up to avoid having to clean up much after correction
random deep imperfections marked out to remember to give them a double going over or more if needed
all correction and finishing was completed on a Flex VRG 3401 using a combination of; wool, orange, white, black pads along with 3D UNO, 3M Ultrafina SE and OPT Compound II
rinsed and cleaned with IPA to ensure no oils are left over from polishes ready for Opti-Guard
Opti-Guard applied to all surface areas except for wheels due to them being a matte finish. This includes calipers, screen, frame, engine, bars, upper suspension (red bit) suspension springs and exhaust.
Time for pictures!
Initial inspection after removal of some fairings
This is the belly pan so clearly copped a fair amount of rocks and road grime in its time
This is the insert for the rear tail piece which has also understandably had a hard life
Before shot of under belly pan
After shot of belly pan but prior to refining further
Some 50/50 shots
Next up are some before and afters and 50/50 shots
Huge difference in the tank as shown here on this 50/50 shot!
Some more afters, remember this is a battered fairing as it is under the tail section in direct path of rocks from the sticky tire!
A bunch of afters from around the bike I got excited
Id like to thank Dan (the owner) for letting me work on this awsome bike! and Simon from TM mechanical for letting me use his workshop, it may be untidy but he turns out some great hi power drag bike engines and car engines.
Hope you enjoyed reading (looking) as much as I enjoyed working on the bike!