Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rough running/misfire on Gti.

Rough running/misfire on Gti.

Hey guys,

Well the other day I finally got the correct bluefin map on my Gti. (thanks Chris) Then I was still having issues with it running rough, then the exhsust warning light came on.

I scanned it with the bluefin as instructed by superchips, and got the p0300 and p0304 fault which with a little searching indicated a misfire cylinder 4 and possible other misfires according to my interpretation of what the codes mean.

Found out about the recall on the coil packs from ages ago, called the original dealer and they confirmed mine was eligible. Got it booked in for 02/07/12 to have them replaced which should rectify the situation.

That's the story so far and here are my questions you you.

1. Should I buy a set of new plugs and have them replaced when the coil packs are being done? And if so which ones are best? Have heard about NGK but not sure what's what.

2. Is it safe/wise to keep driving the car until it goes in for the work? If I drive it just to/from work I probably only do about 200-250 km a week.

3. Would it be a good idea to take the bluefin tune back off until the coils are fixed?

Sorry about the long post guys just looking for some input as I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who's had similar issues.

Cheers

Wazza

Daily
    S3
    2nd Car
    A4 wagon
    Name
    Gavin

I'd run it standard and see if the miss goes away. Then drive it like that until the coilpacks have been done. A new set of standard specification plugs won't cost the earth. Depends how old the current ones are. I have seen miss-fires on a tuned MK4 GTI from worn out plugs.

Coilpacks are quite a lot more robust on the MK5, compared to the similar ones from the 1.8T. I have not read of that many failures TBH.

Gavin
    2000 Audi S3 Custom-Code Phase 2, 42DD downpipe, CAI etc http://www.psituning.com/index.php?a=GW99

The car should run fine with standard plugs. Have them inspected before blindly replacing. No point throwing money at it in a non methodical approach. It is possible they could cause issue though.
    If its missing badly I wouldnt push it hard.
    Is it worse under load?
    If its idling rough get the PCV checked as well.

Always remove any variables that you can when trouble shooting. So yeah I think taking out the tune to start off with isnt such a bad idea.
    Like meatloaf through a straw, so are the days of our lives.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll re-install the OEM tune in the morning before I head off to work.

As for the spark plugs i was just thinking it'd be easier for the dealers to do while they've got it opened up if i supply the parts.

Ill see how it goes once they've replaced the coils though.

Yeah it does get a bit bad under load but seems to be nice and smooth if i cruise along around 3000rpm driving in manual mode. It doesn't seem to be missing too badly, I'm taking it real easy though and the exhaust light only comes on after driving for 1km or so, not at startup.

Daily
    Golf MK5 K04
    Name
    Michael

Spark plugs & coils are cheap and easy... if its only misfiring from cylinder #4, swap the coil packs around and see if the misfire jumps to another cylinder.
    Repeat with spark plus if the same cylinder continues to misfire

Then still misfiring might be a fuel injector
    Good luck.
    Panza's MK5 GTI 205+ kwatw Build Thread

Ahh sweet bro, I'll give that a go if she's still rough after the coils are done Monday week

+ Reply to Thread