Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: ULTIMATE TYRE REVIEWS

Daily
    Mk7 GTI
    Name
    Dan

Fitted Michellin Pilot Super Sports to my fronts today. The original Dunlops lasted 40,000kms and still had some tread left but I needed something grippier.

First impressions, the car still looses traction when the boost kicks in 1st gear, but it grips much harder in 2nd. Feels much more satisfying to plant the pedal in 2nd and
    not have to worry about the traction control or wheel hop. I'm GIAC stage 1 tuned so not putting down quite as much torque as the APR boys but still very impressed so far.

Daily
    golf gti mk5
    Name
    meho

Brand & model: Bridgestone Potenza re002
    Size: 225 - 45 - 17
    Car fitted too: Golf gti mk5
    Cost: $165 + $8 for nitrogen /corner
    Review: just finished a good life with the previous re001s that lasted over 60k. They are the paradigm of what a sports tyre should be. When the re002s poped up for an affordable price, i had to have them. They were designed to be better in every aspect and the same in wear to their predecessor's.
    I chose these over the $209 a corner eagle f1s. at this moment, 3000kms on i feel like ive sold myself short as the re002 has fallen short of its older brother. Although traction is better, i trace tthis back to the re001s being withins micro mms of its life. These tyres also squeal like crazy around tight corners and fast bends.
    They are great in noise and ride but can also lack feel in the front end. Almost as if im towing a caravan and the weight has lifted of the front tyres.
    all in all:
    price: 10
    Wet grip: 8
    Dry grip: 7
    Noise and comfort: 8

Daily
    VW Golf MKV GTI

Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 - 225/45/17
    Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 - 225/45/17

Got these with my GTI, less than 10000k on the Noble2. Traction is OK, didn't get much of a chance for wet driving. In the dry they held well but nothing impressive.

Within a month sidewall on one blew out on the Noble2. The Evo2 now has a visibly noticible airpocket on the wall.

Moving to Toyo Proxes T1 Sport on Wednesday. Hopefully better luck leaving Hankook.
    2006 VW Golf GTI - Borg Warner K04 - Custom tune - DSG Tune - Volant Intake - 3" Dump Pipe - 3" Xforce Catback - Autotech HPFP - S3 Injectors

Daily
    2010 GTI golf
    2nd Car
    Patrol stl 4.8
    Name
    Erin

Bridgestone potenza re003
    225 45 17
    I've only had the tyres on for about 500 kms so far no wet wether as I live in Perth and it doesn't rain
    Straight line grip is good but cornering feels some under steer which wasn't there before on the old re001
    Tyres are super quiet and the walls feel like there is less flex ill probably mess around with pressures to sort out the feel
    The tyres were super cheap at $600 for all 4 corners because of the buy 3 get one free deal that's going at the moment
    I'll try to give a better review once I've racked up some real kms on them
    Overall I don't think these tyres are going to be much better than mid range daily driver tyres

Daily
    2016 Scirocco R
    2nd Car
    Tiguan 155TSI
    Name
    Damien

Just an updated pricing for anyone looking for Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's:

4 x 235/40r18 - $660
    4 x 225/40r18 - $660
    4 x 245/45r18 - $750
    4 x 245/35r19 - $920
    4 x 235/35r19 - $1070

Price includes fitting in Melbourne (Croydon Goodyear). Shipping interstate is also available - $60 to SA. Other states POA.

These are volume discount/forum only pricing so please don't go to your local dealer for price match. This only results in complaints from other dealers (who don't buy these tyres/sizes in bulk) and possibly stopping the deal for everyone.

These are fresh (mid to late 2014 build) and genuine (not parallel import).

Contact Rubal at Goodyear Croydon - 0397254633 / 0421155533.

Tiguan 155TSI, no mods... yeah right

Tiguan 125TSI, APR Stage 2+... (sold)

Daily
    2010 GTI golf
    2nd Car
    Patrol stl 4.8
    Name
    Erin

Hi guys
    I've got some more kms on these tyres now and unfortunately they haven't got any better
    I've had to have the wheels rebalanced twice (two different wheels) after each balance the car drove perfectly for about 500 kms then developed a shudder. The tyres are driving fine ATM and we had some rain the other day and they gripped well in the wet no puddles to deal with but. I played with the tyre pressure a bit (down to an accurate 32psi from 36psi from the shop) and seem to have sorted out the under steer. Overall these are decent tyres for the daily driver/run about with predictable handling but they are defiantly not performance tyres or as good as the potenza re001's
    Hope this helps some one

Daily
    Scirocco R
    2nd Car
    Evo VIII

Has anyone actually had experience with PSS vs Asymmetric 2's tyres? I got a set of Nitto Invo's and they seem to do a pretty good job of holding the power of a 2+ Scirocco.

Was thinking of PSS as my next set but happy to hear what people's recommendations. Car is a street car.

Daily
    CW Golf R DSG

Haven tried PSS yet but on my 2nd set of asymmetric 2 F1. My first set lasted me 35000km + 2 track days and still had a bit of tread left. Pretty happy with the grip.
    Might go PSS with an extra set of AD08 next time for my track tyres then I can give a comparison.

Daily
    86GTS & Golf 6 R
    2nd Car
    MINI Clubman S
    Name
    Nat

The michelin pss is great street tyres, BUT on race track they get greasy rather quick.

Plus if the fronts dont have camber kit (mounts or ball joint), they usually get around -1 lowered and this kills the outer edge quick.

Did vwwatercooled happy laps this morning with a new set up (-2.7 at the fronts) and i was quite please with their performance on non hot laps.

Daily
    86GTS & Golf 6 R
    2nd Car
    MINI Clubman S
    Name
    Nat

Brand & model: Bridgestone Potenza S001
    Size: 235 40 18
    Car fitted too: Golf R 2011
    Cost: $690 fitted and balanced at Bob Jane Taringa with the Bridgestone special deal 4 for 3, ending 30 April 2015.
    Review: made in Japan. Grip is sufficient for street use and you'd have to be doing anything silly (attracting cops attention too) on public roads to loose traction sideways on dry. Traction issue off the line on dry and wet, it is non existent with Golf R . With my previous Golf GTI, i tried Advan Neova AD08, Kumho KU36, Michelin PSS, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A & RE050 and Dunlop Sport Maxx GT, traction off the line in a hurry on wet was always an issue :P

On corners, the 100kg plus heavier Golf R requires more work to go as fast as the lighter GTI.

Also had a thought of Michelin PS 3 in the same size but they are made in Thailand. The new Bridgestone Potenza Andrenalin RE003 were also tempting and have nice thread design, slightly cheaper, but made in Indonesia. Also looked at Goodyear F1A2 which are made in Germany in the same size but they were $920 using the 4 for 3 deal at any local Goodyear shops in Brisbane (Melbourne people are lucky to have Goodyear Croydon!).

Since my wheels are made in Japan, it made more sense to go with tyres that are made in Japan too

Factory fitted on Ferrari 458 Italia and Lexus LFA and a lot of new BMW 3 series (RFT), so must be good enough for my blue shopping trolley street use :P

Last edited by dev17a; 24-04-2015 at 10:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread