Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: THS Copy Intercooler review and installation pictorial semi-DIY

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_R View Post
    hey Lucas, great write up mate, out of interest, do our ECU's adapt to the change in inlet temps and adjust timing as required ?
    These ECU's are pretty damn smart so i can say yes with certainty.

Daily
    RRR
    Name
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    These ECU's are pretty damn smart so i can say yes with certainty.
    yeah no doubt cheers man!

another question regarding intercooler installs, based on all the DIY's out there I cannot make sense of what is done with the hood cable connector and how its removed, a lot of guys seem to be breaking theirs, can you remember how you removed yours or what you did with it? I havent seen the actual cable yet , im just trying to get my head around the install.

cheers!

Daily
    vw golf R
    Name
    shane

So that intercooler they say its for the mk5 and mk6. It fits ok and everything bolts to the R ok?

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

If you look near your passenger headlight you will see the bonnet release cable. The spot where you need to unhook it has a plastic rectangular cover around it (2x cables join here).

And yes the intercooler fits on the R just fine. The intercooler is the same as the one in the GTI

Daily
    RRR
    Name
    Brandon

cheers Lucas! will have a look!

Daily
    MY12 Golf R
    2nd Car
    8V S3
    Name
    Ben

no one will ever do it but a good test would be repeat runs on a dyno with different intercoolers. For example. Stock intercoolers power output will usually go down every run on a tuned car. Say. 190kw then 188kw then 186kw due to the heat and the intercooler not being efficient enough. With an after market intercooler it should be a lot more consistent. But i wonder how consistent they are from 1 model to another. Maybe the Aluminium make up in the castings is of poor quality on 1 vs another. Maybe the fins are of a different design etc. Its not rocket science but all the little things add up. Another good thing to mention is volume of the intercooler, some of you may not know if you go to big and have too much volume you will get a pressure drop which you dont really want.
    Anyway. Good review and pics Lucas.

Daily
    vw golf R
    Name
    shane

Be good to compare this to the cooler you are going to be selling just to see if there is a noticeable difference

Daily
    RRR
    Name
    Brandon

Hey Ben, I believe APR did a review like that with a competitors cooler and did a good write up and comparison on the cores etc. I found it on Vortex quite interesting!

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_R View Post
    Hey Ben, I believe APR did a review like that with a competitors cooler and did a good write up and comparison on the cores etc. I found it on Vortex quite interesting!
    Yes ive seen that - the intercooler APR chose as the "competitor" looked like it had been to hell and back. No doubt they scrounged around to find the worst example they could. No doubt the APR intercooler is a nicely made unit, and no doubt better than this copy unit - but $400 vs $1500 quickly made my mind up.

Link to APR intercooler test here: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ing-81933.html

Daily
    RRR
    Name
    Brandon

Hahah you are not wrong about the thing they used!
    https://www.facebook.com/barensonphotos

+ Reply to Thread