Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Golf 118 TSI engine expired!

Daily
    2010 Golf 118 TSI
    Name
    Cameron

My Golf 118 TSI engine expired!

Hi all,

My engine expired after only 26months, 27,000kms. I had the knock sensor updated when I purched the car and had the mixture updated in Feb this year but it still died. It's in the shop awating a rebuild as I type. I only ever used 98 RON fuel.

Just wondering if anyone out there (who has had the same problem) managed to get VW to extend or restart the warranty after an engine repair/replacement?

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Another 118TSI dead. Shame to hear, but its so common its un believable.

Given its a very well known fault of the engine tuning running too lean (thats the #1 reason for the engine failures anyway) VW should fix it even if the car is out of warranty.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 02-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.

join the club:

Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures - VWWatercooled

582 posts of misery and counting...

time to trade it in for a mk6 gti

Daily
    2012 Mk6 Golf 118
    2nd Car
    2011 Mk6 Golf R
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Hollow View Post
    Hi all,

My engine expired after only 26months, 27,000kms. I had the knock sensor updated when I purched the car and had the mixture updated in Feb this year but it still died. It's in the shop awating a rebuild as I type. I only ever used 98 RON fuel.

Just wondering if anyone out there (who has had the same problem) managed to get VW to extend or restart the warranty after an engine repair/replacement?
    Just out of curiosity what year is your 118... as I'd heard this mostly happened with cars around the 2010 vintage. My wife's 118 is a 2012 model and so far it has been fantastic.
    MY11 Golf .:R | 3 Door l Rising Blue l 3 Pedals l 19" Grey Pretoria Rims l Leather l Nav | Bluetooth

Mods: Milltek CatBack l Bluefin Stage 1 l Unibrace XB & UB | H&R Springs & Rear Sway | AWE & AmD Hybrid CAI | SprintBooster
    Cosmetics: P3 Gauge | Interior LED Lights | LED Turn Bulbs | R Centre Caps | Kerscher Front Splitter | NS Boost Gauge

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

It seems to be mostly the earlier 2009/2010 versions that have the problems. VW did realise this fault on their part and had a recall to update the engines software to run richer. But it seems that in alot of cases, it was either too late and the damage was already done, or some peoples cars were not upgraded.

When this engine was released in the Mk5 as the GT model, there were very few engine failures, but when they were released in the MK6, the power output was reduced slightly and the fuel consumption went down something like 2.0L per/100km......therefore running the engine very very lean.........too lean for many of them which is why they go bang and end up with holes in the pistons.

It seems that if you have a 2009/2010 version and its been chipped with (insert tuner choice here) then they have avoided most of these engine problems. The reason here would be the fact that the new tune runs richer than the stock VW tune.

Daily
    2010 Golf 118 TSI
    Name
    Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by GregoInc View Post
    Just out of curiosity what year is your 118... as I'd heard this mostly happened with cars around the 2010 vintage. My wife's 118 is a 2012 model and so far it has been fantastic.
    It's the 2010 vintage. Such a great car to drive, I love it. Such a shame that so many people have to go thru this. Going to make it tough for VW to become number one car seller unless they do something special to keep so many disapointed drivers...

Daily
    Audi S38V ST3
    2nd Car
    Golf Mk7R ST3,Golf6+
    Name
    Mark

You'll usually see one of these cars sitting all forlorn in the corner at most VW dealerships just waiting for its engine internals or complete motor, they are failing everywhere. Make sure they replace all the pistons too as they'll all fail eventually.
    The big thing about having these tuned is the tuner will often log the cars and they will know straight away if the AFR's are too lean or knock retard values too high and they'll hopefully do something about it before the thing expires for good.
    Last edited by Parso; 12-10-2012 at 08:29 PM.

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the wife, not the job, not the forum and all their bullshit. For those 11.1 seconds or less, I'm free"
    https://www.facebook.com/RecodeTuning

Daily
    VW MY11.5 Golf R
    2nd Car
    Mazda MY06 MX-5 NC
    Name
    Bob

I was talking to another forum member who had his mechatronics unit swapped under warranty and i believe it comes with a 2year warranty from the time of install. I suggest you check with the service shop and with VW Australia
    Current Ride: Rising Blue Golf R - SatNav ; MDI ; DSG :ACC; Recode Stage 1 Custom tune

Daily
    2012 Citroen DS3
    Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Silvrfoxx View Post
    I was talking to another forum member who had his mechatronics unit swapped under warranty and i believe it comes with a 2year warranty from the time of install. I suggest you check with the service shop and with VW Australia
    Awesome. Get it tuned and protect the engine.

And get the warranty for the gearbox ignored as a result.

It's sad to say but VW really dropped the ball on the 118.
    2012 Citroen DS3 Dsport. Not bad actually.

Need Planning Advice? The Design Partnership

Daily
    AUDI A3 8V
    Name
    Go away

My 118 has a weird knocking sound from start. If its rev'd at stationary to about 2k rpm it disappears but returns quieter. What would this be?
    VW MK7.

+ Reply to Thread