Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of putting wheels on your MK3? Post your questions & suggestions here.

Daily
    Not a Golf
    Name
    Walshy

Thinking of putting wheels on your MK3? Post your questions & suggestions here.

If you are new to the whole modifying game and want to fit new wheels to your MKIII please post your questions & suggestions here instead of starting a new thread.

Also if you have any tips or experience in fitting wheels of any size to your MKIII please feel free to share your experience here.

Thanks.

Basic info
    The PCD (stud pattern) for Cl, GL models is is 4x100. VR6's are 5x100
    The centre bore is 57.1mm
    Base offset is around +40 depending on the model.

What is offset?
    The back spacing from the hub surface to the rim of the wheel.

What wheels will fit?
    Any wheel with a 4x100 or 5x100 stud pattern up to 18 inch will fit. Wheel sizes between 15-17 will look the best. Any width up to 7 inches will fit without problems but any wider and you'll need to alter the car.

Spacers & Adapters
    If you want to fit wheels with a different stud pattern you will need adapters. Spacers are used to space the wheel out from the hub to make it appear wider.

For inspiration & visualisation
    To give others an idea of what a particular wheel set-up looks like, post a picture of your car and the following details;

Model of car:
    Model of Wheel:
    Diameter:
    Width:
    Offset:
    Tyres:
    Suspension type and height:
    Rolling/fender mod/pulling of guards:
    Additional camber:
    Last edited by Mr Scruff; 28-11-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Daily
    Not a Golf
    Name
    Walshy

A friends Vento

Model of car: 1.8 GL Vento
    Model of Wheel: Zender
    Diameter: 15"
    Width: 7"
    Offset: +30
    Tyres: 195/40
    Suspension type and height: H&R Ultra Lows
    Rolling/fender mod/pulling of guards: Rolled all round.

Additional camber:

Daily
    1999 mk3 golf 2L
    Name
    Andrew

Hi I have a 1999mk3 and I want to put steel wheels on that are made for jeeps but I was wondering if 3.75 inches of backspace was okay or not please let me know thanks!!
    im getting 15x7" wheels and 5x4.5" lugs thanks! and I need spacers so let me know what I should do !
    Last edited by habspro; 11-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Daily
    Not a Golf
    Name
    Walshy

They're not going to fit. The stud pattern is way off, the spacing will be all over the place giving you massive poke outside the guards.

Those wheels have a stud pattern of 5x114.3 where as your Golf is 4x100, meaning you'll need adapters of at least 20mm size. The back space of the wheels means the offset will be -19mm where as your Golf is +40mm stock. This means these wheels will stick out from the guards by 50mm's once you add the extra width of the wheels over stock and the adapters your looking at about 70mm of poke.

Sorry, there is no way you're going to fit those wheels to your Golf.

Daily
    1999 mk3 golf 2L
    Name
    Andrew

okay well can you tell me what I can get so that everything fits nice and that the tires/wheels stick out a tad? im lowering it aswell thanks! much apreciated

Daily
    Not a Golf
    Name
    Walshy

How long is a piece of string...

How much effort do you want to go to? What size wheel are you looking at? Do you want stretched tyres? Do you want to do any guard work? What style of wheel do you like?

Easy option;
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_o...6030&_from=R40

Daily
    1999 mk3 golf 2L
    Name
    Andrew

okay Im trying to go on budget with the whole wheel thing and yes I want a little sretch and im looking for some euro stance mags or steelies 15 by 7
    whats guard work???

Daily
    1999 mk3 golf 2L
    Name
    Andrew

im dropping it so it has no fender to tire gap

Daily
    Not a Golf
    Name
    Walshy

For a 15x7 wheel you're best bet is an offset of around +30 to +25 that will have them sitting flush with the edge of the wheel arch.

Tyres, go for either a 165/55 R15 or 185/45 R15.

If you are running wider wheels on a lowered car and want no arch gap you will probably get some rubbing. This is where the tyre rubs against the edge of the wheel arch under load or when turning. In order to solve this you'll need to do some guard work.

Guard work refers to having to modify your wheel arches to get the wheels to fit. You can either roll the arch, making the underside flat, giving you more room. Or you can flare the arch which means pulling the arch outwards.

Daily
    1999 mk3 golf 2L
    Name
    Andrew

ohh okay awesome soo If i roll the fenders i should be fine right? and can you send me a picture of what that would look like if you can and thank you very much

+ Reply to Thread