Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Mirror (Puddle) Lights & Warning Door Lights

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

DIY: Mirror (Puddle) Lights & Warning Door Lights

Hi guys,

Ok, I'll try to compile all the info and pics on this thread,

More DIY, on Vortex and MK6 Forums which I'll quote here,

Mirror (Puddle) Lights,

Light Parts:http://www.benzinfabrik.de/de/search/VW

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271010326...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190761908...84.m1423.l2649[/QUOTE]

Repair Wire: http://www.bold-sport.com/store/repair-wire

You can order the cable exactly like this, both ends with the Terminal: [1] N 907 647 01 (Canbus) here is a picture of the order,

You will split it in two, one each door,

Cloth Tape:http://www.bold-sport.com/store/Cloth-Tape

Tools:

VAGCOM Cable for coding
    Dremel or drill
    Razor knife
    Screw driver Torx
    Trim Removal Tools
    Solder
    Heat Shrink Tubing

Warning Door Lights

Light Parts:http://www.bold-sport.com/store/warning-door-lights

Mirror (Puddle) Lights DIY:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/DIY-Mirror-puddle-light-installation

Start by taking off the interior door panel and disassembling the mirror housing:

Make sure the metal clips came off with this small panel. Sometimes they detach and remain on the larger panel. It's not a big deal as you can pull them off with pliers and fit them to the small panel.

There is a third screw to the right not shown in this photo:

This screw is at the bottom center of the door panel:

This is where the flashlight comes in handy. Pop the clips off in the numbered sequence. #1 is actually the screw you removed in the previous photo, not a clip. So, #2 is actually the first clip you need to pop. I laid on my back and shined the light through the gap to guide the trim removal tool under each clip. Once you get the bottom two off, you can widen the gap to see the next two. The clips on the hinge side of the door are the most difficult to see. Trust me, you can see all them while looking up from the floor. Once the panel is completely off, check to see that all off the clips have opened up. They can detach from the metal in the locked position. You'll have a hard time getting it back on with them in the locked position.

How to run the wire.

Mirror Removal, be careful, not much force is needed

Mirror Housing,

Tweeter Removal:

Pop back in tweeter grommet.

Then use the triple square to remove the mirror bolt:

Once off, pull back the sound insulation to see how the factory wiring is routed.

Cutting the hole: Use your Dremel/drill to cut the hole and then sand paper to smooth the finish,

Wiring the light

Method 1:

Wiring the light:

Ground/Earth wire first.
    Cut off the connector the light came with as close to the connector as possible
    Solder a 5" wire onto the Gray wire.
    Cover with shrink tubing.
    Solder to the Blue and Black mirror ground wire.

I carefully removed some of the insulation around the factory ground wire to solder to.
    Don't forget to slide the shrink tubing over the wire prior to soldering!

Running the Power 12V wire:
    Cut the repair wire long enough to go from the Pin 10 of 16 Pin Door connector to the mirror light.
    Wrap the majority of it in cloth tape.
    Install it following the path of the factory wiring.
    Insert heat wrap,
    Solder the Repair Wire with the Power (Brown) cable,

Remove the 16 Pin lower door connector
    Separate the inner housing
    Insert the repair wire into the Pin 10
    Tidy up with a cable ties

Method 2: Thanks Nabsta!

I prepared the second puddle light up front because I found siliconing too fiddly - and wasn't set - after it was wired in so I soldered the 25cm piece of wire (black in pic) to the ground wire (grey) and a 115cm piece of wire (red in pic) to the live wire (brown), shrink wrapped both solders, pushed all the shrink wrapping into the lamp housing and siliconed them in there...

Removing the glass from the mirrors was OK and as described but I found the instructions/pics for dismantling the mirror a bit light on so...

Undo and remove the 2 screws (small torx) shown and then pull down the 2 tabs shown to unhook the top mirror cover from the front piece and the surround front piece should come away...

Squeeze the 2 tabs at the top of the connector shown. You will need pliers for this but gently does it...

Now you should be able to rotate the rest of the mirror housing toward the front of the car so you can see the tabs holding top and bottom together as shown. They just need pushing down and the top and bottom halves will come apart and the top half you can put to one side...

The bottom half is still connected by the indicator wires so you'll need to push the 2 small black tabs in as shown to pull them free...

Next bit I did differently because I prepared the puddle lamp wioring as shown earlier so I neede to feed the power wire through the mirror housing by first putting a kink in the wire to make it go round the corner and push down the metal tube of the mirror frame following the factory wiring until the end was visible as shown...

Grab the end and then feed up into the hole again following the factory wiring as shown...

The rest can follow the other instructions.

Next came the wiring into the lower door connector. After popping ouy the red tab, unplugging the connector, removing the casing and getting a magnifying glass for an old dude, this is what you'll find. The hole for pin 10 is the one you need as shown...

For the warning lamps you'll need the connector with the pink ejector mechanism. You'll need to cut the cable-tie shown and press/pry the tabs open to get to the insides...

I couldn't get a good enough picture to show the numbering but it is on there, however, the pin holes you want are shown with the wires plugged in here. Red is live, brown is earth. The fronts use the smaller pin connectors. I tried to force the rear ones in until I realised, so compare sizes first...

I didn't take any picture of the rears because the Mk6GTI pics are very good. Just bear in mind that the red wire is live, the brown is earth. They are a bit fiddly to get in so you might need a fine ended tool to help push them in and it's vital to make sure the purple securing mechanism is disengaged or they just won't...

NOTE:Make sure when you put back together the panel that the Door Clips are in "close" position otherwise they won't fit on the hole and your run the risk of break them and ending up with a rattle,

Open:

Close:

Coding:
    On VCDS you need to add 2 bits to the existing code to power up the Lights, the values can be different from each car,
    Open the Central Electronic Control
    Long Coding - 07

Open the door controller 42 for Driver's door
    Open the door controller 52 for Passenger

Make a Note of the current Code,

Add 2 to the coding value and select "Do It!" to save.

Select "Close Controller" to exit.

To test make sure you cover the Light Sensor on the windshield if you do it under sun light,

Puddle Lights for MKV & Tiguan, Thanks Damien (Tigger73)

For this install it assumes that you already have the door warning/safety lights installed and running, however if you don't you'll need to add a couple of repair wires and include the VCDS option to add safety lights as per DIY for the door safety lights. In this case you won't need the switch - just the 2-pin connector so you can detach the lights to take the door trim off.

I'll have to take some more photos and post them later as I didn't take photos during the install.

Here's the bits that you'll need:

1 x set of laser lights:

2 x DPDT switch: Part# SK0966

2 x 2 pin connector: Part# PP2062

2 x 30cm of black auto wire: Part# WH3082
    2 x 30cm or red auto wire: Part# WH3080

Crimp spade connectors: Part# TH1848

I had some left over wire lying around left over from a previous job (RVC install) that I used for this one as well as some female spade connectors so I just bought the switches and 2-pin connectors.

OK once you've got all your bits together now you're ready to start the installation.

Step 1:
    Remove door trims and drill a hole for the laser light using the cutter provided. You'll need to check the inside of the door to ensure where you're cutting the hole that the laser light will fit. Also (from experience) it's best if you place the hole towards the outer edge of the door. This way when the light is on the outer edge of the door won't cut off the laser light image. You'll need to clean up the hole with a knife/sharp edge and then install the laser light.

Step 2:
    Drill a 19mm hole through the back of the door pocket. Clean up the edge of the hole and install the switch.

Step 3:
    Next take some wire cutters and cut the safety light wire coming from the door control module to the safety light. Make sure the safety light is not on when you do this otherwise you'll likely short out the wire when you cut it. Cut this about half-way between the door controller and the safety light. Connect one side of the 2 pin plug to the wires attached to the door control module. Connect the other side of the 2-pin plug to the 2 x 30cm "spare" auto wires. I suggest soldering these wires as well as crimping them. Make sure the red matches up with the red and black with black on the connector (it will still work, however could make things confusing).

The 2-pin connector is a bit of a nicety but will allow you to disconnect the wiring if/when you need to take your door trims off in the future.

Step 4:
    Now take the red +12V 30cm wire from the 2 pin plug and solder/crimp a female spade connector on it. Connect this spade connector to the centre connector on one side of the switch.

Step 5:
    Now connect female spade connectors to the both red +12V wires from the two lights (safety light and laser light). Plug one on the bottom and one on the top of the side of the switch with the +12V connection.

Step 6:
    Connect all the black 0V wires together. I suggest soldering them all together into another spade connector and attaching it to the other side of the switch. This is just a good spot to put it - you could just as easily connect them all together and cover with electrical tape.

Step 7:
    Test before putting the door back together and trims on. You may need/want to adjust the direction/orientation of the image before clipping the door back together.

You should now have a fully functional/switchable safety/laser light set - enjoy
    Last edited by M4RK0; 01-04-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    MK6 GTI KraftwerK 2+ | Exoticars | f: GTI Legacy| Insta: @m4rk0c

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

Warning Door Lights DIY:

Warning Door Lights DIY:

Front Doors: Remove the Door Panels as directed above,

Now release the grey connector by moving the purple release handle. Cut the cable tie from the end of the plug and release the white connector block by using a small flat blade screw driver.

The connections are:

Pin 2 on the Light to Pin 18 = Live Connector.
    Pin 1 on the Light to Pin 19 = Ground Connector.

Re-insert the white connector block into the housing and secure the wires with a new cable tie.

Using a couple of cable tie sticky bases route the cable across to the area above the hole in the door panel. Now re-fit the door panel starting by reconnection the wiring looms and door handle pull. Then push the door panel into the channel on the top of the door, now check the cable is in the correct place and accessible before clipping panel into place.

Put the screws back into the base of the door and the 3 around the handle, then refit the handle trim by inserting the tabs into the far end of the door first then clip into place.

Now connect the light to the loom

Rear Doors:

Using a trim removal tool and starting in the top right hand corner (as shown on the picture below), remove the plastic trim to gain access to the 2 T30 torx's screws. Also remove the lower screw and unclip the panel as described above for the front doors.

Now release the main loom connector, this just clips into place with no locking handle, I use a trim tool to help remove it.

Using a flat blade screw driver push locking slider inwards to allow the new wires to be inserted.

Connections:
    Pin 1 on the Light to Pin 4 is the Ground Connector
    Pin 2 on the Light to Pin 14 is the Live Connector

Remember to push the locking sliders back across and re-cable tie the wires. Now run the loom around the speaker and across to the opening in the door. As with the front re-connect the wiring to the door panel and clip back in the door handle release cable. Starting from the top push the panel into the channel and then clip the door back into place.

Now push the light into the door panel. Coding now needs to be completed.

Coding:

On VCDS
    Open the Central Electronic Module
    We need to add 64 bits to the current code,
    42-Door Elect, Drive > coding 07> software coding (0-8388607): > +64
    52-Door Elect, Pass > coding 07> software coding (0-8388607): > +64
    62-Door, Rear Left > coding 07> software coding (0-8388607): > +64
    72-Door, Rear Right > coding 07> software coding (0-8388607): > +64

eg. 0000566 > change to 0000630
    eg. 0000144 > change to 0000208

Note the current Code,
    Coding: Enables the lights in the door panels to light on,

Coding:

42-Door Elect Drive => Coding 07 => Software coding: Add 64
    52-Door Elect Pass => Coding 07 => Software coding: Add 64
    62-Door Rear Left => Coding 07 => Software coding: Add 64
    72-Door Rear Right => Coding 07 => Software coding: Add 64

The Old code is 0000144 the New code adding 64 is 0000208

As soon as you click Do it! the lights should work,

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

Pics:

Mirror Lights:

Warning Door Lights:

Last edited by M4RK0; 27-01-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Daily
    MY15 Liberty 2.5i
    2nd Car
    Tiguan 155TSI
    Name
    Damien

DIY Install of Switchable Safety/Laser Lights

For this install it assumes that you already have the door warning/safety lights installed and running, however if you don't you'll need to add a couple of repair wires and include the VCDS option to add safety lights as per DIY for the door safety lights. In this case you won't need the switch - just the 2-pin connector so you can detach the lights to take the door trim off.

I'll have to take some more photos and post them later as I didn't take photos during the install.

Here's the bits that you'll need:

1 x set of laser lights:

2 x DPDT switch: Part# SK0966

2 x 2 pin connector: Part# PP2062

2 x 30cm of black auto wire: Part# WH3082
    2 x 30cm or red auto wire: Part# WH3080

Crimp spade connectors: Part# TH1848

I had some left over wire lying around left over from a previous job (RVC install) that I used for this one as well as some female spade connectors so I just bought the switches and 2-pin connectors.

OK once you've got all your bits together now you're ready to start the installation.

Step 1:
    Remove door trims and drill a hole for the laser light using the cutter provided. You'll need to check the inside of the door to ensure where you're cutting the hole that the laser light will fit. Also (from experience) it's best if you place the hole towards the outer edge of the door. This way when the light is on the outer edge of the door won't cut off the laser light image. You'll need to clean up the hole with a knife/sharp edge and then install the laser light.

Step 2:
    Drill a 19mm hole through the back of the door pocket. Clean up the edge of the hole and install the switch.

Step 3:
    Next take some wire cutters and cut the safety light wire coming from the door control module to the safety light. Make sure the safety light is not on when you do this otherwise you'll likely short out the wire when you cut it. Cut this about half-way between the door controller and the safety light. Connect one side of the 2 pin plug to the wires attached to the door control module. Connect the other side of the 2-pin plug to the 2 x 30cm "spare" auto wires. I suggest soldering these wires as well as crimping them. Make sure the red matches up with the red and black with black on the connector (it will still work, however could make things confusing).

The 2-pin connector is a bit of a nicety but will allow you to disconnect the wiring if/when you need to take your door trims off in the future.

Step 4:
    Now take the red +12V 30cm wire from the 2 pin plug and solder/crimp a female spade connector on it. Connect this spade connector to the centre connector on one side of the switch.

Step 5:
    Now connect female spade connectors to the both red +12V wires from the two lights (safety light and laser light). Plug one on the bottom and one on the top of the side of the switch with the +12V connection.

Step 6:
    Connect all the black 0V wires together. I suggest soldering them all together into another spade connector and attaching it to the other side of the switch. This is just a good spot to put it - you could just as easily connect them all together and cover with electrical tape.

Step 7:
    Test before putting the door back together and trims on. You may need/want to adjust the direction/orientation of the image before clipping the door back together.

You should now have a fully functional/switchable safety/laser light set - enjoy

=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649[/URL]
    Last edited by Tigger73; 01-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Tiguan 155TSI, no mods... yeah right

Tiguan 125TSI, APR Stage 2+... (sold)

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger73 View Post
    Nice work Marco.

I noticed last night that there's a few sellers for the puddle lamps now on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271010326...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190761908...84.m1423.l2649
    Awesome find, it doesn't say how many LEDs they have, but the housing is almost the same as the Germans,

And I have to say the Germans just fit perfect,

I'll add the links to the top,

Daily
    MKV R32
    Name
    Rob

Nice comprehensive guide there Marco! I'm sure there will be more of these getting around soon!
    MKV R32 TVS Rotrex Supercharged

Daily
    GOLF
    Name
    Don Juan

I just wanted to share some images of the the puddle lamps and the door warning lights. What a difference it makes at night!
    A big thanks to Hong for installing them.

/// MK6 GTI | GIAC EXTREME | 215.9kws atw |

Daily
    The car i drive daly
    2nd Car
    dont have one
    Name
    Brad

I am guessing this would also be the same for Tiguan given they are almost the same car

Will have to have a look at this

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by ido09s View Post
    I am guessing this would also be the same for Tiguan given they are almost the same car

Will have to have a look at this
    Just check the mirror housing if you find the light marked, like here

As you can see the light space it's already marked, you just need to make the hole, that will mean that inside of the housing the clips exist to install the light,

Otherwise this could be more challenging...

Daily
    The car i drive daly
    2nd Car
    dont have one
    Name
    Brad

For me the wiring and coding of them would be the worst part i think.

Wiring would be because the provisions may not be in the harnesses inside the door, and coding because i dont have, or know anyone, that has VAGCOM cables for my car.

Will sus it out tonight though

+ Reply to Thread