Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.9 tdi engine turning off while driving

Daily
    Honda civic eg b18c
    2nd Car
    mk6 gti
    Name
    Goran

1.9 tdi engine turning off while driving

My dad complained his tri was running little rough so I purchased a can of liqui moli diesel fuel treatement. We added it to the tank and after 10 minutes on idle we went for a drive.

After first corner at 50 kmh the engine shut off. Took 5 minutes to restart. Went onto freeway to run it through as per instructions. Car switched off after 1km. Again took 5 minutes and so on. So now this is happening at random every drive since we put it in yesterday.

What can be causing this? Fuel pump is fine as fuel doesn't cut out.when it fails to start there is fuel pressure. What are some other things I should e looking at

Oh and there's no codes.

Any help is much appreciated

Daily
    Golf GTI
    2nd Car
    single Jandal
    Name
    thom

fuel filter water trap?

same symptom as a mate's diesel, corners and bumps would cause a bit of water to get out of the trap and into the fuel pump (causing it to intermittently die).

as the water trap sensor was malfunctioning (jammed by gunk) there was no warning light or code being generated.

Although apparently the mk5 TDI might have an integrated water trap/fuel filter which means the whole filter needs to be changed (not a bad idea if it has had water go through it).

Daily
    Honda civic eg b18c
    2nd Car
    mk6 gti
    Name
    Goran

Replaced filter and all seems fine. Thanks for the help

Daily
    Honda civic eg b18c
    2nd Car
    mk6 gti
    Name
    Goran

Ok gotta resurrect this. Issue never went away. Was fine for a few days then again. I've replaced fuel filter and fuel pump and same thing. Car turns while driving, while stopped ...... And it takes ages to start back up. Any ideas?

Daily
    2005 Golf 1.9 TDI
    2nd Car
    Nissan GQ Patrol
    Name
    Glen

Id try dropping the fuel and putting fresh diesel into it after replacing the filter and pump.

Daily
    Golf mk2 gti
    2nd Car
    Golf mk4
    Name
    Lee

maf sensor??

Daily
    MKV Golf TDi.:R
    2nd Car
    MK1 Audi TTR
    Name
    Adrian

I had a close friend of mine have a similar problem but with his Scirocco R.
    Found out that one of the ECU's for the fuel management system was not functioning 100% & had it replaced under warranty.

Daily
    Honda civic eg b18c
    2nd Car
    mk6 gti
    Name
    Goran

Volkwagen says the only issue the can find is that the glow plugs for cylinder 1,2 and 3 show a open circuit. Same thing that vagcom brings up after a period of driving.

I replaced the injectors and wiring from a spare head that i knew worked perfectly and now the engine wont start at all....

its a very simple procedure to replace them but im wondering if i have done something wrong or if this is just bad timing. anyone got any info on this?

much appreciated

Daily
    jetta TDI 2008
    2nd Car
    wish for R or GTD

After replacing the PD injectors it takes about 10 cranks woth a good battery to start the engine....if you have no fault codes after replacing the injectors keep cranking....if you have any codes now come up they may be related to the injectors as the loom usually breaks up on removal as its sat in the oil...also seen people not fit the loom connector correctly on side of the head..gives a fault code for all injectors open circuit.....VDUB..
    15 YEARS VOLKSWAGEN TECH

VCDS/DIAGNOSTICS/REPAIRS/BRISBANE

Daily
    Honda civic eg b18c
    2nd Car
    mk6 gti
    Name
    Goran

no fault codes. crank till STOP appears. check for codes and retry. wont start

+ Reply to Thread