Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf R Burning Oil / Smoking

Daily
    Golf R
    2nd Car
    S15
    Name
    Shane

Golf R Burning Oil / Smoking

Hey guys,

I've been a Golf R owner for a couple of years now and only recently after my 30k service I've noticed my car starts to blow constant burning oil smoke out of the exhaust when idling for a 1 minute on an upwards hill and if I flick it to sports mode the smoke reduces, then if I move the car onto flat ground the smoke stops.

For the services the oil I've been using is the genuine VW 5-30.

I'm running a 42DD oil catch can with the left-side PCV pipe disconnected to stop any catch-can oil vapour re-entering the engine.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be ?

also does anyone know what exactly the far-right PCV breather hose is used for ?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Have you emptied your catch can recently? If not, then that would be the first thing i'd check. If its full, then it could be the cause of your smoke issue.

Daily
    Golf R
    2nd Car
    S15
    Name
    Shane

Hey Lucas,

Yeah I always ensure the catch is clean.

Daily
    CW golf R
    2nd Car
    Mazda 3
    Name
    Matthew

ive had the same issue. noticed it a few times while parked on a hill for an extended period of time.
    MY 12 GOLF R | CW | MANUAL | LEATHER | SAT NAV | DYNAUDIO WITH CUSTOM BOOT INSTALL WITH DYNAUDIO SUB | ACC | 42DD DUMP PIPE - 3" CUSTOM REAR MUFLER | 42DD OIL CC | DEFI BOOST GAUGE | HPFP | CUSTOM 3" INTAKE | GIAC EXTREME TUNE | AUDI TTS ENGINE COVER | NEUSPEED LOWERING SPRINGS |OSIR TELSON GT6S CF REAR SPOILER | REVOZPORT CF FRONT SPLITTER |OSIR CARBON FIBRE REAR VALANCE | VMR 705 19X8.5 MATT BLACK | TURBOSMART BOV | REVOZPORT VENTED CARBON FIBRE BONNET |

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Ive never had it with mine (had my catch can installed for about 1 year now). Would love to know the reason for it and the solution. I wonder if the fact that you said part of the catch can piping is blocked off has any affect on it?

Daily
    MKV Golf GTI
    Name
    Jason

My cousins R had the 42DD on his car and it was smoking profusely. He took it off and the smoke stopped.
    MKV GTI revo stage 2+ K03

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by just_quietly View Post
    My cousins R had the 42DD on his car and it was smoking profusely. He took it off and the smoke stopped.
    Wonder why it happens to some and not others?

Question for the OP. So what colour is the smoke? If its oil then it should be a blueish colour.

Daily
    Golf R
    2nd Car
    S15
    Name
    Shane

It's definitely blue smoke and seems to clear-up if you increase and hold a constant idle of just above 1,000 RPM which happens when you select either S-mode or Manual with a DSG.

I'll throw up a video clip tomorrow.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Have you guys thought to ask 42DD directly about this to see what they say? Or even ask Greg from Carformance who is a 42DD distributor.

Daily
    Panda R
    2nd Car
    Specialized Roubaix

The can full? When was the last time you emptied it and how long ago / how many kms? Try emptying it being on a hill suggests its near full and some of the blow by is leaking back into the engine due to the "leveling"
    .:Panda .:R Build
    MY12 Golf .:R MKVI Candy Weiß | Recaros | 19" Black Talladega | ACC | Sunroof | RNS510 SatNav + Dynaudio | RVC | BT & MDI | 3 Pedals
    Ordered on 18/06/11 : Delivered on 28/12/11
    42DD Catch Can | Autotech HPFP | Enkei Kojin 18x8+45 | Garage Vary Reife Carbon Kit | GFB DV+ | GIAC Extreme | Milltek CBE | NeuSpeed Discharge Pipe | NeuSpeed Sport Springs | P3 Gauge | SPM FMIC | TurboXS DP | VF-Eng CAI

+ Reply to Thread