Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf R Burning Oil / Smoking

VWGolf.net.au Sponsor Greg Roles's Avatar
    Daily
    MK V GT TDI
    Name
    Greg Roles

Looking into this guys, but it's indeed a rare thing as far as I am aware, I've sold a lot of can sets and this is the first I have heard of it.....

Awaiting feedback from 42DD currently.
    Greg aka Cogdoc
    2015 Skoda Yeti TDI

Daily
    Panda R
    2nd Car
    Specialized Roubaix

^ it happened to me a few times only on a slope and when the can was fairly full
    .:Panda .:R Build
    MY12 Golf .:R MKVI Candy Weiß | Recaros | 19" Black Talladega | ACC | Sunroof | RNS510 SatNav + Dynaudio | RVC | BT & MDI | 3 Pedals
    Ordered on 18/06/11 : Delivered on 28/12/11
    42DD Catch Can | Autotech HPFP | Enkei Kojin 18x8+45 | Garage Vary Reife Carbon Kit | GFB DV+ | GIAC Extreme | Milltek CBE | NeuSpeed Discharge Pipe | NeuSpeed Sport Springs | P3 Gauge | SPM FMIC | TurboXS DP | VF-Eng CAI

Daily
    Golf R
    2nd Car
    S15
    Name
    Shane

So this is what I'm dealing with..

**note: car was idling clean for about 50 secs then smoke started to appear.

And for the record, the catch-can is not even near full and none of the PCV breather hoses leading to the catch-can are blocked.

I have some more testing do it but so far I have come up with the following scenario that when the car is idling on a upwards slope, the engine finds it hard to push out all of the oil vapour blow by. Then once it builds up to a certain amount it some how finds it's way down into the combustion chamber...

Now the OEM PCV set-up slowly extracts the blow-by vapour via the intake manifold on idle from vacuum pressure and burns it off which in-turn would be much less noticeable and prevents this build-up of vapour in the rocker cover.

But after all this I assume alot more people would be complaining about this...

I'll keep you guys posted.
    Last edited by Shizayn; 06-03-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Daily
    Golf GTI
    2nd Car
    single Jandal
    Name
    thom

perhaps you'd be better off with a provent as a catch can? finding room might be an issu ethough

Daily
    MK V GT TDI
    Name
    Greg Roles

Afraid not, the Provent is more restrictive by nature, the 42DD can has zero restriction by comparison, Provent a few psi.
    Greg aka Cogdoc
    2015 Skoda Yeti TDI

Daily
    Golf R DSG
    2nd Car
    Audi S3 8V
    Name
    Mark

Weird, I've never seen this happening on other cars with the 42DD can. Is it possible that its simply that the hoses going to the can have been run in such a way that it pools oil in there when its on that particular angle ?

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the wife, not the job, not the forum and all their bullshit. For those 11.9 seconds or less, I'm free"
    https://www.facebook.com/RecodeTuning

Daily
    '08 Hilux
    2nd Car
    Mk6 CW GTI DSG
    Name
    Gra

Is it loosing much engine oil as a consequence of blowing smoke...?

Daily
    MK V GT TDI
    Name
    Greg Roles

Greg,

We have had one other person with this issue, and it was resolved by removing the rear check valve on the back passenger side of the motor. (Remove the hose, take check valve out, re-install hose) This valve sometimes gets gunked up and goes bad, or makes noise with aftermarket intakes. With a catch can in place it is no longer needed so you can remove it. Tell him to give that a try.

If that does not fix it I would suggest a compression/leak down test. There are reports of this happening but have not seen a “solution” to it. We have never been able to replicate it ourselves.

-John

John Pelton
    Sales & Shipping Manager
    42 Draft Designs

I have invited Shane to talk directly with 42DD, but given how many can sets they have out there, seems they only see it rarely themselves.
    I have yet to hear of thuis from any GTI owner....very very oddd, but still a worry!!
    Greg aka Cogdoc
    2015 Skoda Yeti TDI

Daily
    MK V GT TDI
    Name
    Greg Roles

The latest from John at 42DD. I have offered Shane a full refund, as this is a lot of bad luck in my opinion. Still awaiting your decision there Shane.

Shane,

Not sure if you received my last reply to this email so I will CC Greg.

We have had a few people mention this in the past, and through some trouble shooting and other people who have had this issue with other companies cans (BSH, Forge, Eurojet ETC) it is an issue that is very rare and as of now to my knowledge there is no solution. A custom who mentioned this issue about a year and a half ago went through extensive testing on their vehicle with no change, we had that catch can sent back here, put it on two FSI's we have at the shop and the issue did not present itself. From other companies we have heard that there also is a very low percentage of people who experience with their cans as well (Less than 1%) and I have yet to see a case where this has happened where there was a resolution found, unfortunately everyone had to revert back to the factory PCV setup to remedy the issue.

We have tried to recreate this issue here with no avail, everything we have tried has acted normally and not cause any excessive blowby out the rear PCV setup.

As of now we do not have an answer for this, we believe it to be a vehicle specific issue of either abnormally high crank case pressure or something else we have not discovered as we have never been able to re-create it. The last thing we tried with the previous customer who had this issue was requested them to do a leak down and compression test which was never done, the customer reverted to the factory PCV system before this was done.

We have not found a solution OR cause to this issue, if we could replicate the issue we would figure out exactly what it is, however we have not been able to re-create the issue.

I would suggest continuing to run the factory PCV system unless you are able to find the direct cause of it. If you have anyone else that has a FSI motor that you could hook the catch can setup to see if the problem replicates you could test for yourself to see if it is a vehicle or catch can related issue.

-John

John Pelton
    Sales & Shipping Manager
    Greg aka Cogdoc
    2015 Skoda Yeti TDI

Daily
    VW Golf R MK6
    Name
    Dhruv

I have the same problem…on my MK6 GOLF R 2010 done only 47,000kms
    It seems like when the car is on idle for about 1 or 2 minutes, white smoke/grey starts coming out. But afterwards when I take off, it disappears?

Usually happens when stopped at traffic lights.

This randomly happens once a day, the smoke has oil burning smell to it - It defiantly oil. (the oil level has gone down a bit).
    I have check for errors using VCDS (no errors found). I have been keeping an eye on coolant – coolant level seems alright, no visual leaks under the bonnet.

Initially I thought my PCV value was playing up as I found oil in my intercooler pipes, installed a catch can with PCV still hasn’t fixed the issue  (The can is emty BTW)

I am bloody annoyed now and just want to get it fixed – I have booked the car in for a check up at Powerhaus. (fingers crossed hopefully a cheap fix)

The car has APR stage 2+ upgrade (APR intercooler, high pressure fuel pump, IPE full exhaust-catless, VW racing cold air instake system and APR runner flap delete) R8 coils, Suplen catch can with PCV delete.

+ Reply to Thread