Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf R Burning Oil / Smoking

Daily
    Golf R DSG
    2nd Car
    Audi S3 8V
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Crank7693 View Post
    I have the same problem…on my MK6 GOLF R 2010 done only 47,000kms
    It seems like when the car is on idle for about 1 or 2 minutes, white smoke/grey starts coming out. But afterwards when I take off, it disappears?

Usually happens when stopped at traffic lights.

This randomly happens once a day, the smoke has oil burning smell to it - It defiantly oil. (the oil level has gone down a bit).
    I have check for errors using VCDS (no errors found). I have been keeping an eye on coolant – coolant level seems alright, no visual leaks under the bonnet.

Initially I thought my PCV value was playing up as I found oil in my intercooler pipes, installed a catch can with PCV still hasn’t fixed the issue  (The can is emty BTW)

I am bloody annoyed now and just want to get it fixed – I have booked the car in for a check up at Powerhaus. (fingers crossed hopefully a cheap fix)

The car has APR stage 2+ upgrade (APR intercooler, high pressure fuel pump, IPE full exhaust-catless, VW racing cold air instake system and APR runner flap delete) R8 coils, Suplen catch can with PCV delete.
    Remove the catch can as a test , I've seen this issue on many cars now and just don't bother with them. It is weird though some cars are fine and yet others are certainly not, I've never been able to figure it out entirely

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the wife, not the job, not the forum and all their bullshit. For those 11.9 seconds or less, I'm free"
    https://www.facebook.com/RecodeTuning

Daily
    Golf R
    2nd Car
    S15
    Name
    Shane

I have the same problem…on my MK6 GOLF R 2010 done only 47,000kms
    It seems like when the car is on idle for about 1 or 2 minutes, white smoke/grey starts coming out. But afterwards when I take off, it disappears?

Usually happens when stopped at traffic lights.

This randomly happens once a day, the smoke has oil burning smell to it - It defiantly oil. (the oil level has gone down a bit).
    I have check for errors using VCDS (no errors found). I have been keeping an eye on coolant – coolant level seems alright, no visual leaks under the bonnet.

Initially I thought my PCV value was playing up as I found oil in my intercooler pipes, installed a catch can with PCV still hasn’t fixed the issue  (The can is emty BTW)

I am bloody annoyed now and just want to get it fixed – I have booked the car in for a check up at Powerhaus. (fingers crossed hopefully a cheap fix)

The car has APR stage 2+ upgrade (APR intercooler, high pressure fuel pump, IPE full exhaust-catless, VW racing cold air instake system and APR runner flap delete) R8 coils, Suplen catch can with PCV delete.

The oil in your intercooler plumbing is due to the rear left corner rocker cover case outlet hose that is plumbed to the front inlet pipe to your turbo. To fix this you will need to divert that hose to a catch-can.

Couple of Questions:
    1. when the car is idling in manual mode do you still get burning oil smoke out of the exhaust?
    2. when the car is idling in manual mode + A/C on, do you still get burning oil smoke out of the exhaust?
    3. when driving down a step hill at full vacuum for 30 sec/1-min then onto flat ground, shift into neutral and after a few revs to 4,000 RPM do you see any smoke?

Regarding the OEM PCV unit you can leave it as is but be aware that anywhere from 60,000 -to- 100,000 kms you will need to remove the inlet manifold to remove the build up of oil vapour blow-by from the PVC outlet hose that leads to the inlet manifold and with this it's always good during your trip in the car give it some good revs and full-boost intervals to try and keep the build up of carbon and oil build-up low

Do your best with carby cleaner every 7,500 kms but 4cyl is the most effected from the PCV vapour and very hard to hit it directly with a solvent.

Driving always in D-mode with factory DSG tune will shorten the life of your direct injection engine..

Daily
    VW Golf R MK6
    Name
    Dhruv

Answer to your questions
    - I shift the car to neutral when stopped at traffic lights.
    - I noticed the smoke starts coming out when the car is stopped on hill or after its being up a hill.. (Wellington has hills everywhere)
    the smoke has oil burning smell to it also when it smokes it creates a biggggg cloud of smoke as if the car is on fire. It has happened to me in town when it was crowded, so embarrassing for 86,000$ car.

I installed the Spulen catch can a week ago it has collect brown coloured water so far.

“The oil in your intercooler plumbing is due to the rear left corner rocker cover case outlet hose that is plumbed to the front inlet pipe to your turbo. To fix this you will need to divert that hose to a catch-can.”
    - Is it possible to get a picture of this setup?

Few pictures to look at :https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...3dyR2RqSjl3eE0

Daily
    VW Golf R MK6
    Name
    Dhruv

O well, some bad news for me
    I got the car checked, turns out my turbo seals have worn out the exhaust side leaked oil into the exhaust.
    so every time the car is on a hill the oil enters the exhaust and burns off creating a smoke cloud.

it’s a $3500+ fix ruined my Xmas.

Daily
    Golf R MKVI
    Name
    Scotty

O well, some bad news for me
    I got the car checked, turns out my turbo seals have worn out the exhaust side leaked oil into the exhaust.
    so every time the car is on a hill the oil enters the exhaust and burns off creating a smoke cloud.

it’s a $3500+ fix ruined my Xmas.
    what the? Who are you getting that turbo through? You are better off buying a brand new TTE420 for that price......
    Rising Blue | 5 Doors | DSG | Sunroof | Sat NAV | Black Leather | SSR GTV02 18" |

Daily
    Golf R DSG
    2nd Car
    Audi S3 8V
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by scotty86 View Post
    what the? Who are you getting that turbo through? You are better off buying a brand new TTE420 for that price......
    The labour is a killer though 10~15 hours pretty much and it may be a new turbo.

I'm doing this today on my Liberty wagon, exactly the same fault funnily enough but this is rare on the K04 in fact we've never changed one apart from when people go larger.

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the wife, not the job, not the forum and all their bullshit. For those 11.9 seconds or less, I'm free"
    https://www.facebook.com/RecodeTuning

Daily
    Golf R MKVI
    Name
    Scotty

Quote Originally Posted by Parso View Post
    The labour is a killer though 10~15 hours pretty much and it may be a new turbo.

I'm doing this today on my Liberty wagon, exactly the same fault funnily enough but this is rare on the K04 in fact we've never changed one apart from when people go larger.
    Oh yeah! ha! I have been doing my own labour for so long I forget these simple things like labour!!! lol

Yeah what a bugger... surely should be able to find a second hand K04?
    Rising Blue | 5 Doors | DSG | Sunroof | Sat NAV | Black Leather | SSR GTV02 18" |

Daily
    Audi A3 2.0TSI
    Name
    Scott

I was having big exhaust smoking (at idle only) after APR CC installed. But, it is normal now with no smoking after I rerouted the front PCV hose, which I did it as OEM- Front PCV port connects to intake manifold. I took out the plug (APR provided) from rear PCV port and use another hose connecting rear PCV port with APR catch can port, then no smoking anymore.

Daily
    Golf R
    2nd Car
    S15
    Name
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by a3scott20 View Post
    I was having big exhaust smoking (at idle only) after APR CC installed. But, it is normal now with no smoking after I rerouted the front PCV hose, which I did it as OEM- Front PCV port connects to intake manifold. I took out the plug (APR provided) from rear PCV port and use another hose connecting rear PCV port with APR catch can port, then no smoking anymore.
    Hi Scott,

Interesting, so is the front PCV setup routed as per factory but the rear PCV is connected to the inlet port on a CC then the outlet CC port connects to the front turbo inlet? If this is the case how much blow-by is the catch can collecting @ how many kms?

I have heard that the it's best to leave the front PCV in-place because the MK6R engine produces alot of crank-case pressure and requires a good amount of vacuum to reduce the pressure or else you run the risk of making it's way back into the combustion chamber which will make it burn oil as my experience or even worse damaging the rear main seal.

Daily
    Audi A3 2.0TSI
    Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Shizayn View Post
    Hi Scott,

Interesting, so is the front PCV setup routed as per factory but the rear PCV is connected to the inlet port on a CC then the outlet CC port connects to the front turbo inlet? If this is the case how much blow-by is the catch can collecting @ how many kms?

I have heard that the it's best to leave the front PCV in-place because the MK6R engine produces alot of crank-case pressure and requires a good amount of vacuum to reduce the pressure or else you run the risk of making it's way back into the combustion chamber which will make it burn oil as my experience or even worse damaging the rear main seal.
    Yes I run that setup with no smoke and very rare blowby in the catch can every oil change (5-6000km). But I think most of oil goes to cylinder from the front PCV to intake manifold.

+ Reply to Thread