Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY - OEM Bixenon Headlights, CECM Upgrade and AFS

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

DIY - OEM Bixenon Headlights, CECM Upgrade and AFS

Hi guys,

First to all, I need and find necessary to thank and appreciate all the help of Nat(Dev17a), Stu(Ozram) and Paul(Dub), you guys are legends!!!,

Some of you might know, I've stared retro (fighting)fitting of the OEM BiXenon Headlights on my GTI, which resulted in a massive job involving the following,

Stage 1 -Upgrade CECM 087 Version and BiXenon Headlights Adapters,
    Stage 2 -AFS Install
    Stage 3 -BiXenon Headlights Install

Parts: All my kits are from CarSystems, OEM quality and so far they come ready to be installed,

OEM Bixenon Headlights with AFS Modules, Ballasts, and DS1 Xenon Bulbs,

OEM AFS Kit: Rear sensor, AFS Control Module, and Cable Loom, (Optional: Bixenon Headlight Adapters)

OEM CECM High Range

Bixenon Headlights Adapters (14 Pins)

Tools:
    Torx screwdriver set,
    Flat screwdriver set,
    Pliers (different sizes),
    Solder iron,
    Shrink wrap (Different colours),
    Thread/Clothed tape,
    Electrical tape,
    Cable ties,
    Cord flex tube to run wires,
    Razor,
    Electrical Cable 5mm - 10amps (different colours),
    Fuses 10amps (3),
    Terminal Pins (N90732603),
    Drill,
    Rubber grommets,

Get familiar with the following processes as they be used on the Stage 3

How to remove the Front Bumper: http://www.vwgolf.net.au/MK6-Front-Bumper-Removal

How to replace the Headlights: http://www.vwgolf.net.au/DIY-Retrofit-Xenon-Headlights
    And

STAGE 1

A bit of history of why?,

Central Electronic Control Module (CECM) Replacement & BiXenon Headlight Adapters...

This job was done in about 7hrs, a full description with some pics will follow,

The OEM Halogens in our cars come with a CECM 086 version Mid range, which means the car can only use Halogens, that's why when we fit R LED Tails lights we have to "trick" the CECM and the CANBUS to make them work, without bulb errors showing on the dash,

In order to have the OEM Bixenons fully functional(High beams) and the most important part FULL LED integration is necessary in most of the cases to upgrade the CECM to a High range 087 version and a compatible version of headlights BiXenon Adapters,

NOTE: Before you buy the CECM make sure you need it!, with VAGCOM you can tell the version of your CECM if it is High or Low,

So far the CECM was a hard job just swapping the unit, the location under the steering wheel is not easy to access or to work on at all, removing the under dash, aircon vents, lights dial panel, trim, then and passing the loom for the new headlights plugs to the engine bay which at the same time are connected to the Golden CECM connector, is a fucking nightmare!!!,

Here, is not my car but you can have an idea of what we were dealing with...I've followed this to get to the CECM,

Removing the Dial control...

CECM at sight......

Now, it was very tricky to get it out, and get new one in, lots and lots other pieces had to come off,

Important!:Here is when you install the 14Pin BiXenon Adapters, in the Pins 48 and 49 in GOLDEN connector of the CECM, you can't miss it as the pins are different sizes, if you don't do it, you will have to remove all of it again,

Run the cables with the adapters to the engine bay, they will be used latter,

Once that everything was back together, I had some "issues" related to the new CECM,

-Some warning lights due to the battery unplugged,
    -Alarm won't work,
    -Keys won't close or open the car,
    -High beams won't work in the new Bixenons,
    -General functions not working,

Solution...(THANKS to Stu(Ozram) for all the tips and reading)

Coding of the New CECM
    - Remove the Factory Mode of the new CECM (Otherwise the doors won't lock/unlock and the alarm will be deactivated)
    - Restore the Installation List of the old CECM to the new one, previous screen shots of EVERY Byte must be taken before doing the change, unless you want to spend a whole day trying to figure what was selected,
    - Make sure all the errors in VCDS are gone, and the car is "Normal",

After run the BiXenon Adapters to the engine bay make sure you select the Bit 3 of the Byte 14 to enable the high beams to work,

At this point, you can just swap your Headlights adjust the screws to get the best range of light, and call it for the day......

Me?, well, I like to complicate life a bit more...............

STAGE 2

AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System) (THANKS to Nat(Dev17a) for his massive advise this last four months)

After the CECM and Headlight Upgrade, you will notice one thing, the Projectors in your Bixenons are possibly pointing to somewhere but to the front, you are able to adjust the Beams up/down left/right but the projectors won't move, pretty useless if your case is like mine where the Projectors are pointing to the left and I'm only able to see 1m in front of me,

So, is necessary add and retrofit AFS Module, which includes a levelling sensor, loom and adapters, resulting in the following job,

- The rear sensor has to be fitted on the rear passenger's suspension arm,
    - Feed the cable through the left rear wheel guard grommet inside of the car,
    - Remove all the trim from the back to the front of the car, and run loom to the front,
    - Remove the wiper system to connect the AFS Module to the CANBUS,
    - Remove the same trim as the CECM, lights dial panel, and clear the path to the CANBUS connector,
    - Remove the glove box to fit the AFS module in the OEM location (This can be other place)
    - Feed the cables to the engine bay and to the Headlights Bixenon plugs,
    - Put everything back together,

Some pics...

Mr CANBUS!

Car on stands, rear guard removed,

AFS loom getting ready to go inside of the car,

Sensor fitted in the suspension arm, VERY Important!!! to make sure the sensor is pointing towards the tyre, otherwise the Auto-Levelling system won't work,

Loop fitted and tidy,

All connected ready to put back together,

At this point, you are ready to run the AFS loom under the side door trim to the front of the car,

STAGE 3

Disconnect your battery every time that you work!!!

Connections diagram..

This and the last part of this DIY if everything was done properly should be smooth, it's important make a recollection of all the cables and connections needed, some cables will need to be cut and shorted or made longer, depending how are you running the wiring to the headlights,

1) Finish the electrical connections from the AFS module to the CANBUS,

-Solder the cables coming from the AFS control module to the existing cables of the CANBUS as follow,

From AFS module to CAN module:
    Black wire - ground (anywhere)
    Red wire - +12v in Fuse box
    Orange wire - CAN HI (orange / black to Pin 16) pin 16/20 in Can gateway module connecctor
    Brown wire - CAN Low (orange / brown to Pin 6) pin 6/20 in Can gateway module connector

Heat shrink and cloth tape it,
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Run cables to the BiXenon adapters,

- You must have 2 pairs of cables (Grey and Yellow) coming from the AFS control Module to each side,

From AFS module to Headlights:

Grey wire - pin 1/14 in headlight BiXenon connector
    Yellow wire - pin 2/14 in headlight Bixenon connector
    The same connection in both of headlamps

Here you might have to fix the cables to make them longer or shorter,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Run cables from the BiXenon adapters to the Fuse box to power up the AFS modules in each headlight,

You need to cut the Pin 4 cable in both BiXenon connectors sold a cable and run it to the Fuse Box, the other end I think Pin 1 can be removed from the connector or leave it there as long as you make sure is protected, in my case I've removed the unused cables,

AFS Headlight to Fuse Box (powering your AFS module thatís underneath the headlight)

Headlight Right: Pin 4 of Bixenon Connector to Fuse 1 or 5(right),
    Headlight Left: Pin 4 of Bixenon Connector to Fuse 2 or 6 (left)
    Important: Pin 4 from BiXenon 14 pin connector adaptor should be connected straight to fuse box,

This will avoid intermittent errors in VAGCOM or flickering of the lights,

4) Tide up the looms, cables, everything,

This is an important point,
    -Check again all your cables are long or short enough, leave some slack just in case,
    -Plan how to run the cables each side,
    -The BiXenon connectors should be ready,
    -You should have 2 cables going back to the Fuse Box,
    -Drill the hole and place a grommet in the CANBUS hatch,

Use you cloth tape to tape and protect all the cables once that they are ready to be fixed and they have the right length, use the cord flex to run them if you like,

I used the OEM firewall paths to run my cables,

To the CANBUS hatch...

Right Connector...

Cables running on the OEM path...

Left Connector...

Cables...

5) Fuse Box,

Check the positions available, you will need to plug the following,

a) 2 Cables coming from the BiXenon connectors to the positions 5 and 6 (or any two available)
    b) Red cable coming from the AFS control Module to any position, if you don't have any you can solder this cable to any of the headlights return cables,
    c) Black cable coming from the AFS control Module

6) Mount the BiXenons,

-Reconnect the battery
    -Tests, DON'T panic if nothing works or if you see your dash like a Xmas tree,

Coding

Headlights:

Byte 11 - Bit 2 Off / Bit 7 On

Byte 15 - Bit 3, 6 & 7 On

Byte 18 = 04 (May already be set if you have LED taillights)

Byte 24 - Bit 7 On / Value set for DRL brightness to 100%

Byte 25 - Bit 6 Off

Byte 26 - Bit 3 On

Byte 27 - Bit 2 On

AFS Module Enable:

Go to the 19 CANBUS controller and select the in the Installation list the 55 Xenon Range option,

19-CAN Gateway
    Install list
    55-Xenon range
    Basic Settings
    Coding type: 1446940

This will power up and enable the newly installed AFS system,

- Find a flat place,
    - Enable the controller 55 Bixenon Range
    - Select Basic Settings
    - Select Adaptation
    - Select ON/Off and wait for the calibration,
    -Coding the CANBUS for the new Bixenon Headlights,

Check List

Headlights - Auto levelling, the projectors should do a start-up sequence Up/Down-Right/Left as soon as you turn the ignition On
    Cornering - Projectors should move as the steering wheel does,
    High beams - Should work
    Indicators - Should work
    DRL's - With dimming functionality on day light,
    Tail Lights - Should keep working OK

A couple of videos of how they should work,

DONE!!!
    Last edited by M4RK0; 24-05-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    MK6 GTI KraftwerK 2+ | Exoticars | f: GTI Legacy| Insta: @m4rk0c

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

Installed.......

Daily
    MY13 Golf GTI DSG
    Name
    James

Awesome, comprehensive write up! But what about the washers?
    MY13 Golf GTI DSG | 5 Door | Candy White | 18" Detroits | Bi-Xenon Lights | RCD510 | MDI | 9W7 BT | Micro-CAN VCDS Cable

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlarman View Post
    Awesome, comprehensive write up! But what about the washers?
    Oooohhh NO!, hell no!!!, no way!!! I'm going through that again! I'm stopping right here!

The washers annoy me soo much!

Daily
    Golf GTI MY12
    2nd Car
    Audi A3
    Name
    Dave

Great write up Marco, such a massive undertaking but glad its all worked out in the end.

Daily
    Honda Jazz
    2nd Car
    Scirocco R
    Name
    Shane

great write up marko

I pulled fuse 36 as i hate the washer also

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by shane_in_oz View Post
    great write up marko

I pulled fuse 36 as i hate the washer also
    Yes, I find really annoying just after wash the car if you want to scare a fly the things come out and spray the whole front... Nah!

Daily
    2011 Jetta 125TDI
    2nd Car
    1996 Mk3 Golf TDI

Hey Marko, Where did you buy your kit from CarSystems or Kufatec?
    I have also been looking into AHL but noticed that the systems available above are based on LHD cars so the wiring is cut to length to fit Fuse Box on LHS of car. Wiring run dow LHS and passes fuse box and LHS steering wheel on the way to the front of the car. Even your Pic show LHD install Pics.
    Did you have to lengthen your wiring harness much to bring it over to RHS Fuse Box?
    Where did you put the control Box? RHS under Steering Wheel or behind the LHS glovebox?

Cheers.
    2011 VW Jetta MK5 125TDI Mods with still a few extra creature comforts
    1996 VW Golf Mk3 1.9TDI Mods pretty well sorted

Daily
    Golf Mk6 GTD
    Name
    Brendon

This is fscking impressive

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
    Hey Marko, Where did you buy your kit from CarSystems or Kufatec?
    I have also been looking into AHL but noticed that the systems available above are based on LHD cars so the wiring is cut to length to fit Fuse Box on LHS of car. Wiring run dow LHS and passes fuse box and LHS steering wheel on the way to the front of the car. Even your Pic show LHD install Pics.
    Did you have to lengthen your wiring harness much to bring it over to RHS Fuse Box?
    Where did you put the control Box? RHS under Steering Wheel or behind the LHS glovebox?

Cheers.
    Hey man, the replies to your questions in red,

Where did you buy your kit from CarSystems or Kufatec?: All the kits are from CarSystems

I have also been looking into AHL but noticed that the systems available above are based on LHD cars so the wiring is cut to length to fit Fuse Box on LHS of car. Wiring run dow LHS and passes fuse box and LHS steering wheel on the way to the front of the car. Even your Pic show LHD install Pics: No, the only pics of a LHD are the ones that show the CECM location because I couldn't take any of mine, the rest are from my car,

Regardless from who you buy the kits, adaptation will be needed due to run of the cables to engine bay and firewalls, otherwise you will end up having cables hanging everywhere with cable ties, so, if you want to do it the most closest to the OEM install, yes, you have cut cables,

Plus you have to add 2 cables coming from the Pins 4 of each light to the Fuse box, all together are 8 cables, 4 each side,

This is not a problem as long as you buy quality cable .5mm and 10amps,

Did you have to lengthen your wiring harness much to bring it over to RHS Fuse Box?: Yes, the cables that I had to length were the Bixenon Adapters and the AFS going to the each headlight.

Where did you put the control Box? RHS under Steering Wheel or behind the LHS glovebox?: If you are talking about the AFS control module I've installed mine just under the Fuse Box inside of the trim, for practicality and less panels and trim removals,

Hope this helps,
    Last edited by M4RK0; 20-03-2013 at 08:49 AM.

+ Reply to Thread