Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tarmac Engineering-Southbend DXD Clutch Dealer

Daily
    MY12 Golf R
    2nd Car
    8V S3
    Name
    Ben

Tarmac Engineering-Southbend DXD Clutch Dealer

Tarmac Engineering is now a Southbend DXD clutch Dealer. Southbend DXD have just about every car covered with stages 1 to 4 and not only that they also have different types in every stage. This means you can get exactly what you want and get the best of both worlds. i.e Daily/Track or Track/Drag etc

They have been supplying stock to high horsepower clutches for VAG cars in the US and around the world for years and have put a huge amount of time and engineering into perfecting the clutches for our cars.

Personally i run a Stage 3 Daily clutch with a single mass flywheel which is more than enough for 300awkw. Many of you may know Sammy who currently has the fastest Mk6 Gti in the world. He runs the same clutch.

See some pics below. Further down i have added the selection guide which can also be downloaded from my website here

We currently have 1 off Stage 3 Daily Clutch kit with single mass flywheel in stock. This fits most 2.0 FSI & TSI platforms. VW & Audi.

Click here to purchase and for more information

Selection Guideline

Stage 1

Heavy duty version of the stock O. E. clutch. The Pressure Plate has an increase clamp load for extended life. The disc is dual dampened for smooth engagement and increased transmission life. Premium friction material ensures rapid heat dissipation increasing the life of the clutch.
    Recommended for spirited and daily driving.

Stage 2 Daily

Engineered for HP modifications. This Heavy Duty Pressure Plate has an increased clamp load with little or no increase in pedal pressure. The Organic disc material has a high metal content that increases the co-efficient of friction by two times over a stock lining and increases rotational strength up to a 12,000 RPM burst point. This clutch system maintains a stock feel while offering strength and durability.
    Recommended usage is daily, street and moderate race.

Stage 2 Endurance

An SFI approved single mass flywheel is recommended for this application to get optimal performance. This clutch system is designed for the racing climate. The pressure plate is precision balance for vibration free operation at high RPM. The pressure plate fulcrum is altered for a positive disengagement and a quick shift. The disc is engineered with a Dual Damped design to provide accurate control when accelerating through corners. The friction material is a hybrid using a full face Feramic (Sintered Iron) lining on the flywheel side and a high metal content Organic lining on the pressure plate side. Engagement is positive yet buffered due to the high graphite content unique to Feramic facings.
    Recommended uses are daily and street with an emphasis on Rally and Endurance racing.

Stage 2 Drag

Drag racing requires a Single Mass SFI approved Flywheel to be included with each kit when the original design is Dual Mass. This system features a Heavy Duty Pressure Plate modified for a puck style disc with no cushion between the linings to keep the clutch pedal travel short and quick. The puck design disc reduces rotational mass and total drive surface area while increasing pounds per square inch on the surface of the friction material. This combination minimizes inertia, accelerating the transfer of torque from the engine to the wheels. The friction material used for this race application is Graphite Impregnated Ceramic. This compound exceeded all other friction materials when testing for durability, reduced chatter, heat transfer and torque capacity.
    Recommended uses are drag racing, drifting and limited street.

Stage 3 Daily

Recommended for single mass flywheel (SMF) when original design is DMF. This clutch package is designed for high HP vehicles desiring a start performance similar to O.E. The pressure plate is Race Engineered (SS) and SFI approved with significant load increase over stage 1,2 pressure plates (+600-800 lbs.). Expect a pedal effort increase of 20%-25%. Discs are assembled with heat-treated wear resistant hubs; drive plates and springs for high load transfer and dependable operation. The sprung centers on the disc in conjunction with the marcel fin between the linings create a dual dampening effect that simulates O.E. start performance. A Performance Organic friction material with a high metal content increases torque and RPM capability and maintains low operating temperatures which reduces wear and glazing.
    Recommended usages are daily, spirited street and occasional track.

Stage3 Endurance

Recommended for single mass flywheel (SMF) when original design is DMF to achieve optimal performance. This kit uses the same Race Engineered SFI approved pressure plate as stage 3 daily package. The disc is designed for the special needs of a vehicle with circuit racing in mind. Kevlar friction material is used for its unique static to dynamic ratios of friction co-efficients at high energy levels. This translates to a perfect transition from one gear to the next. Discs are assembled with only performance components and equipped with torsion springs functioning as a damper between engine and gearbox. Recommend usages are Rally, endurance race, clubsport, autocross, street and daily.

Stage 3 Drag

Drag racing requires a Single Mass Steel Flywheel to be included with each kit when the original design is Dual Mass Flywheel. This clutch package is built to handle heavily modified cars and designed to function according to the specific needs of the and 1/8th mile track. The pressure plate for this kit is SFI approved Race Cover engineered to disengage with less pedal travel shortening the shift time. Discs are a puck design, which reduces rotational mass and are assembled with all high carbon component pieces for maximum strength. The friction material used is Graphite impregnated Ceramic perfectly suited for drag racing because of its maximum friction co-efficient, rapid heat dissipation and abrupt engagement characteristics.
    Recommended uses are drag, pulling, drifting.

Stage 4 Extreme

This is a “build to order” clutch kit intended for cars with HP modifications exceeding the stage 3 parameters. The Race Engineered pressure plate is modified for maximum plate load. The discs are puck design with sprung and un-sprung options. Friction material options include Sintered Iron and Graphite Impregnated Ceramic. Engagement characteristics can be abrupt. Hydraulic systems may need enhancing for proper clutch separation. Single mass steel SFI approved flywheels are required for safety. Torque ratings are calculated at time of ordering.

Race Engineered Pressure Plates (SS) used in Stage 3 and 4 clutch kits:

These performance clutches deliver more transmittable torque and stability, longer life and superior thermal resistance. They also deliver noticeably better dynamics through higher clamp load when driving the vehicle to its limits.

Flywheel Features

Flywheels manufactured by SBC are made from low carbon, hot rolled steel that is highly resistant to warping and perfectly suited for the friction materials mated to them. Single mount CNC machining guarantees precise tolerances and perfect balance exceeding O.E. specifications. Extensive field testing has been done to determine the proper weight for each specific vehicle and to ensure smooth operation, safety and durability under extreme operating conditions.

Daily
    MY11 Golf R
    2nd Car
    MY16 Polo GTI M
    Name
    Chris

WOW, i know if was a fair bit of work putting all this together but now we can reap the rewards, great deal!
    ║ "The mind is willing but the body is weak - Frazza 2013" ║ Follow me on Instagram

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Andrew

Nice one Ben, congrats.
    MY12 Golf R, Candy White, 6Spd M, 19" VR.G2, Viezu Tune, Whiteline SB's, Super Pro LCA, KW Coilovers, Scorpion non-res Ex, Turbo XS Dump, HPFP, Volant CAI, OSIR bits' Haldex Comp, Neuspeed Pulley.

Daily
    B7 RS4 & MKIV R32
    2nd Car
    Passat R36

Good to know. I have the Southbend clutch on my MKIV and works like a charm. I no longer have to cross the Atlantic Ocean to get one.

Daily
    2004 VW Golf R32
    Name
    Jed

I can also vouch for the quality of the Southbend Clutch Kits. I have the Stage 2 Daily kit in my MKIV R32, flywheel chatter is noisy at times but it feels great, has nice bite, and the single mass flywheel is noticeable lighter than stock allowing the engine to spin up more freely. Absolutely love it!
    No. 164 - HPA Competition Haldex Controller, KW V3's, Gruvenparts Adjustable Rear Control Arms, Southbend Stage 2 Daily Clutch & SMFW, Simota Racing Air Intake, GroundControl Front Camber Plates, Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Banned
    Daily
    MK6 GTi
    2nd Car
    Giant TCR SL Di2
    Name
    Ben

Great work mate. Well deserved.

Sammy has one in his car at the moment.

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

Great stuff Ben,

Definitely on my list going together with the BT,

And it comes in red!!!
    MK6 GTI KraftwerK 2+ | Exoticars | f: GTI Legacy| Insta: @m4rk0c

Daily
    MY12 Golf R
    2nd Car
    8V S3
    Name
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by VWR View Post
    Nice one Ben, congrats.
    Thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by Jig View Post
    Good to know. I have the Southbend clutch on my MKIV and works like a charm. I no longer have to cross the Atlantic Ocean to get one.
    Thanks for the review : re crossing the Atlantic. Thus is true, the idea being here that it should be cheaper to buy through myself than importing it, paying postage duty and taxes (as they are over $1,000) if you were to do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by JedR32 View Post
    I can also vouch for the quality of the Southbend Clutch Kits. I have the Stage 2 Daily kit in my MKIV R32, flywheel chatter is noisy at times but it feels great, has nice bite, and the single mass flywheel is noticeable lighter than stock allowing the engine to spin up more freely. Absolutely love it!
    Thanks for the review also. You may have 1 of the older ones...
    The all new South Bend Silent Design clutch packages have all the same great qualities of the previous kits, except now they have eliminated all "chatter" issues. Clutch chatter is the "helicopter" like sound you will normally get when replacing the factory flywheel with a single mass flywheel. It occurs when the engine is on, not in any gear, with your foot off the clutch pedal. You will notice it to go away when pressing the clutch pedal in. This is not actually a problem, like some may think it is, rather a sound that not everyone can tolerate coming from their engine bay. If you are one of these VW owners, then this South Bend Silent Design clutch kit is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BenR View Post
    Great work mate. Well deserved.

Sammy has one in his car at the moment.
    Like a BOSS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M4RK0 View Post
    Great stuff Ben,

Definitely on my list going together with the BT,

And it comes in red!!!
    haha i especially asked them to make them in red for you mate

Daily
    MY12 Golf R
    2nd Car
    8V S3
    Name
    Ben

Dropping off some more clutches. Thanks for the orders guys!

VWGolf.net.au Sponsor Greg Roles's Avatar
    Daily
    MK V GT TDI
    Name
    Greg Roles

Ah you sneaky [email protected], beat me to it. Oh well I'll scrap that idea, no point competing with good blokes.

Once I finish saving up for proper wheels I'll start saving for a Tarmac clutch!
    Greg aka Cogdoc
    2015 Skoda Yeti TDI

+ Reply to Thread