Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mk5 Heater Temperature control

Daily
    '06 Golf Tdi
    Name
    Wayne Staunton

Mk5 Heater Temperature control

Own a '06 Tdi
    When one turns the temperature control knob - What does it turn/move? I assume it opens tap somewhere?
    Where does one access the tap ie in engine bay or inside the car? what needs to be removed to access the fittings?

Daily
    DBP MY09 R32
    2nd Car
    RS MY08 Touareg
    Name
    Greg Dillon

Do you have the standard system or a climatronics system?
    Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_304 using Board Express
    08 MY09 R32, DBP, DSG, GIAC, R8V10 reps, KW V3, RNS510/VIM/BT/MDI/multiregion, Haldex and switch, s2t paddles,HPA dogbone rubber,Mk7 climatrotronics, FIS+, Adams/RDA discs & Hawk pads, Garage opener button, GruppeM, .front fogs, Milltek. CF Chin spoiler.Strut support. UB+XB, superpro LCAs, Alloy riser knuckles, LEDs.....

Daily
    07 FJR1300
    2nd Car
    .:R32; Polo6R; T'reg
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by WayneS View Post
    Own a '06 Tdi
    When one turns the temperature control knob - What does it turn/move? I assume it opens tap somewhere?
    Where does one access the tap ie in engine bay or inside the car? what needs to be removed to access the fittings?
    Begs the question.

Why?
    MY08 Touareg 3.0Lt V6 TDI/Atacama Grey/RNS510/Colour MFD/F-R Sensors/Chipped/OEM Towpack/Tint/Premium Bluetooth/Tekonsha Brake Controller/2nd Battery + 2x12V sockets, towing a Crusader Manahattan Step-up
    2008 R32/DBPE/5 Door/DSG/Sunroof/Sharran Antenna/16% tint/Conti SC3/RNS510/Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser/Milltek Catback Non-Res/AutoPolar FIS+ Advanced
    2011 FR 6R Polo/77TSI/5 Door/TSI/DSG/Sports Pack/MDI/RCD510/Sharran Antenna/GTI Grill
    2007 FJR1300 (too many mods to list here)

Daily
    R32 MKV
    Name
    Paul

Own a '06 Tdi
    Your control knob is linked to an electronic module which will control the functionality of what operates when. Your cool air is provided by a compressor with refrigerant modulated by a valve (TX, LV, etc) which is what you refer to as the "tap". This valve is in the engine bay. Are you concerned it is not working? In cooling mode, this obviously cools the air but also provides dehumidification.

In heating mode, this warm is provided by way of the hot water from the engine.

Air is simply directed by diversion depending on whether you are on recycle mode or full outside air.

As a side note. Your heating mode is far more efficient than cooling mode. If it's not climatronic, putting the dial in heating mode with the AC on will be a far more productive in de-misting, but will also dry the air out alot quicker and potentially lead to sore and tired eyes.

Daily
    2011 Jetta 125TDI
    2nd Car
    1996 Mk3 Golf TDI

you have a heater core (like a radiator) inside your dash.
    Radiator fluid is always circulating through it.

What controls Temperature inside the cabin, is a FLAP that opens and closes allowing more or less air to pass through the heater core to heat the cabin.
    Think of it like a Shower, you adjust the outgoing water temp buy mixing Hot and cold water till it's just right.

Setting low Air temp via heater controls, then the flap is closed off and just outside air is passed through your vents. If recirculation is on then cabin air temp is recirculated. If you turn on A/C then you will get colder temps than ambient.

As you raise the temperature setting then the flap allows more incoming air (from outside or recirculation) into the heater core chamber and now some amount of air is heated - again think of a Bathroom Shower. The more heat you want the more the flap opens and diverts more air throught the heater core and the hotter the air comes out the vents.

If you have a Cold/Hot Dial... then you mix the air manually - just like your Shower Taps.
    If you have a Climatronic, you can set a specific temp in Degrees... and a computer will then monitor the inside cabin air temp and automatically adjust the internal flap to regulate the amount of hot air needed to keep the cabin warm (or if cooling then... turning on/off the A/C compressor or adding a bit of hot air to get to your desired temp).

As @Dub has said using the A/C with hot air aids in demisting as Air Conditioning actually De-humidifies the air (takes the moisture out).

You only truly understand how it works when you have to rip the whole dash out to replace a heater core!

Hope This helps.
    2011 VW Jetta MK5 125TDI Mods with still a few extra creature comforts
    1996 VW Golf Mk3 1.9TDI Mods pretty well sorted

Daily
    '06 Golf Tdi
    Name
    Wayne Staunton

Heater control

When I turn the heater on (no Ac) there is no change in temp! thanks for the info so far!!

Daily
    2011 Jetta 125TDI
    2nd Car
    1996 Mk3 Golf TDI

When I turn the heater on (no Ac) there is no change in temp! thanks for the info so far!!
    then the flap is not working and stuck on the cold air position.

Either the Temp Controller is faulty (talks to the flap motor)
    The Flap Motor is dead,
    Or the Linkages from the motor to the flap are broken.

There are I think 2 motors in under the dash. You can hear them operate if you turn your ignition on (have your radio off) and play with the climate controls.
    1 motor will operate the Recirculation flap you will hear this very easily - it will actually close fully and sounds like a lid closing.
    The other motor will operate the Cold/Heat Flap - this one you might not hear open and close as loudly.
    2011 VW Jetta MK5 125TDI Mods with still a few extra creature comforts
    1996 VW Golf Mk3 1.9TDI Mods pretty well sorted

+ Reply to Thread