Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to install component speakers into a MkVI Golf.

Daily
    S15
    Name
    Marty

How to install component speakers into a MkVI Golf.

Hey guys,

After reading our recent MkV Golf door tutorial Iive had quite a few people email me asking if I could throw a quick tutorial together on how to install speakers into the MkVI. So without further ado; this is how to install drivers into MkVI Golf doors.

Step one: Take one original door complete from factory. Give them a nice clean and remove any debris and dust.

Step two: Apply sound deadening to outer skin. This task is a bit of a mission requiring some dismantling of the door but it can be done with much patience.

Step three: Add diffuser panels behind the speaker.

Step four: Attach aftermarket cables onto the three factory speaker wire pairs. The factory wires are a large enough gauge to handle up to around 120 – 140 watts continuous. Any more power than this and you’ll need to run new larger cable runs through into the doors. We tend to solder the aftermarket cables on about four inches back from where the plug would sit. This way when you sell the car you simply de-solder the aftermarket cables and solder the factory plugs right back in. Once soldered they should be heat shrunk, not taped!

Step five: Make the baffles. These take a similar shape to the factory ones and screw into the factory screw holes (thus avoiding damaging the door). They're usually constructed from MDF but we've made them from perspex or even 6061 alloy depending on application. If they are MDF then they should be painted with polyester resin and black paint to avoid absorbing water and being seen through the factory grille.

Step six: Sound deaden inner skin and remove all air bubbles. Make sure you leave enough clearance for door handle and lock control rods to move freely. Also leave a little deadening around the top of the speaker hole to act as a 'roof' against water when it rains.

Step seven: Screw the baffle onto the door and seal the baffle onto the deadening with gap filler. Make sure you also install a gasket between the speaker and the spacers because air leaks out here too (ever tried to run your car without a head gasket)?

Step eight: Solder the trimmed speaker wires onto speaker. Don't use crimp terminals because their two best traits are falling off and creating resistance.

Step nine: Heat shrink around the terminals to protect them. Unlike electrical tape, heat shrink will not begin moving after a couple of months.

Step ten: Most component set tweeters will fit into the stock location.

Step eleven: Sit back and enjoy your new found midbass. This is what the door looks like when complete:

So there you have it; one MkVI Gold door with midranges installed. Using this method you have about 68mm of mounting depth (using 18mm MDF). Any deeper than that, your speaker might impact the plastic cross bracing behind the factory door hole.

Daily
    S15
    Name
    Marty

And similar to the MkV; if you want to further enhance your listening experience (staging and imaging wise) or if you have enormous tweeters like DynAudio Esotar2 E110, then you'll probably want to make a set of a-pillars to mount your tweeters and and midranges on like this:

If you wish to read more about what sound deadening, diffuser panels and sealing does see here:

http://www.fhrxstudios.com.au/faq.asp#27

http://www.fhrxstudios.com.au/photog...est.asp#photo7

If you wish to find out more about staging, imaging and how our ears relate to them both click here:

http://www.fhrxstudios.com.au/faq.asp#12

http://www.fhrxstudios.com.au/faq.asp#28

I hope that helps you guys out.
    Last edited by Fhrx; 27-01-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Daily
    MK7 TSI Highline
    Name
    Michael

That is so neat mate. I've done a few audio installation work myself, and yes it requires patience.

I'm a bit precious to start ripping off my brand new Mk 6 just for now.

Are you in Sydney?

+ Reply to Thread