Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AUS Customs Issues with Car Parts From Germany Over 1000 AUD

Daily
    2013 Scirocco R
    2nd Car
    2014 MK7 Golf R
    Name
    Josh

AUS Customs Issues with Car Parts From Germany Over 1000 AUD

Hi there

Not sure if this is the right forum but I recently purchased a few parts from Germany (in a single shipment) for my Scirocco R for over 1000AUD. As some of you would know, if the value of shipment is above 1k, the parcel will be held in Australian customs (Sydney in this case) until a declaration is made. My parcel has been at customs for over a week now.

Has anyone experienced this before and if so did you employ the services of a Customs Broker or tackle the declaration forms/process yourself (which appear to be terribly complicated)? I understand that is my responsibility and not the sellers to address this declaration issue?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys

Josh

Daily
    MKV R32
    Name
    Rob

Hi Josh,

In the past your only option was to clear the goods via a broker, which was a fairly minimal charge.

I believe now you can clear goods yourself, and will usually involve your invoices, customs papers (which should have been sent to you), payment of the 10% (or applicable %) duty plus also 10% GST, potentially a Quarantine Report (based on inspection and Customs) , another fee and then you can collect the goods from the holding yard.

Unlike most of Government, the customs helpline was quite helpful when I have had to clear goods in the past, though this was under a company so may differ to personal/private import.
    MKV R32 TVS Rotrex Supercharged

Daily
    2013 Scirocco R
    2nd Car
    2014 MK7 Golf R
    Name
    Josh

Just the response I was looking for! Thanks very much Rob.

Given the complexity of the whole process, I might get a broker to attend to it for me. I have yet to receive any custom papers from AUS customs. The only message I got was from the courier service, DPD, stating that the parcel is held in customs. Hmmm

VWGolf.net.au Sponsor Greg Roles's Avatar
    Daily
    MK V GT TDI
    Name
    Greg Roles

Australian customs have been cracking down big time lately, last month they held my shipment for several days without explanation, this months was over two weeks, gave me zero reasoning. My contact at DHL said they have noticed the same, with a lot of parcels held up for very long periods without any movement or explanation. Someone down there is flexing their muscles.
    Greg aka Cogdoc
    2015 Skoda Yeti TDI

Daily
    2013 Scirocco R
    2nd Car
    2014 MK7 Golf R
    Name
    Josh

Thanks for the response Greg. I secured the services of a broker for about $100 and they are handling all the required paperwork. Your'e definitely right, the Australian customs seem to be on red-alert 24/7 lol

Name
    Marius

After a few bad experiences I always go with W2C custom brokers. All valuable merchandise have a way of attracting negative attention from customs.

Daily
    audi s3
    Name
    little baby jesus

good advice thanks Marius, i'm sure Josh would have found that very useful 5 years ago...

+ Reply to Thread