Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (TSI) Another carbon build up removal DIY

Daily
    Mk5 Pirelli
    2nd Car
    Mk7 TSI
    Name
    Alex

(TSI) Another carbon build up removal DIY

With some free time on my hands between work contracts I decided to carbon clean the intake valves and injectors on my 2010 GTI (k04) on 75kms.

I use good fuel ( BP / Shell 98 ) and oil with varied driving. I haven't noticed any issues but wanted to be sure no power or smoother running / fuel economy was being missed out on.

The following guide was used:

http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread....ngine-2.0T-TSI

Now, this took me a full day, with the car jacked up at the front. I used Subaru upper engine cleaner to soak the intake flaps, injectors and intake ports. It's ace stuff but very strong so be careful. I have only moderate mechanical experience, but know the way around a GTI engine. Assuming you have a well lit environment and just line up the screws in sequence (or baggies) , you'll be ok.

Findings:

The ports didn't look too bad but where jet black in carbon and a touch sludgy, with less build up or 'crumbs' than seen on US forums. Their lack of fuel quality will make the difference here (91 vs 95 oct) .

See pic -

After a few hours work (apologies for the image quality. Blame Samsung)

Injectors:

2 of the 4 injectors came out with the fuel rail. I pulled the other two to take a look at the nozzles which were caked in carbon. I'm told the pressure (around 150psi) would mean less chance of blockage, I'm not convinced that performance wouldn't suffer to some extent over time after looking at the crap on them.

I rested the nozzles in a dish submerged in the Subaru cleaner. 30 mins later they were gleaming revealing the fine outlet holes in each tip.

I refitted the injectors without new seals / o-rings which is not recommended by Volkswagen as it's one time one use. They looked in good condition and I took a risk figuring I could rebuild if I had leak / pressure issues. I rubbed all seals with fresh oil before refitting.

Outcome / Conclusion:

After working in reverse I primed the fuel line with by unplugging the coils and turned the starter for 10 seconds. After hooking them back up, she started first time and I let the car idle to temp.

First drive I started slow to build temps and injection pressure up to high rpms. Boost was monitored as was general behaviour for hesitation or cuts. All good.

The car now seems to pull a bit cleaner, grumble less under load in lower gears and intake / DSG farts seem louder. Boost spins up a touch sharper and I'm sure, though not yet confirmed, that economy will slightly improve. That's some free power increase the next Dyno run will confirm. Take a 20% placebo effect into account here.

Overall I feel this is worthwhile maintenance on any TSI engine over 75kms regardless of driving style. I know TFSI engines suffer more so would suggest 60kms. Injectors would have had a big impact here too, which is overlooked by other guides.

A cheap exercise (18 dollars for the Subaru cleaner, rags, scourers from Coles), car now keener and I feel more confident around the intake and fuel injection systems of my vehicle. Win.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by barney91; 26-01-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Daily
    VW GTI
    2nd Car
    Murano [bubs mobile]
    Name
    Louie

Great work Barney
    2012 CS K04 GTI | GIAC | APR RSC 3" TBE | VWR Intake | KW V1 | OEM R Bi-xenons | OEM R Tails | Unibrace UB | S3 Intercooler | podi boost gauge | OSIR body kit | BBS CH

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Well done mate. And good to see the good old Subaru cleaner did the job. I just bought a 2010 GTI for the wife with 55,000km so ill put this on the "to do" list over the next few months.

Daily
    Toyota Hiace
    2nd Car
    09' MKV Black R32
    Name
    Jeff

Good work, any advantage doing the regular Subaru clean on a more regular basis to help keep injectors etc clean?

Daily
    Mk5 Pirelli
    2nd Car
    Mk7 TSI
    Name
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by In Black View Post
    Good work, any advantage doing the regular Subaru clean on a more regular basis to help keep injectors etc clean?
    Thanks guys. Took some mental strength to actually start the job!!

As for the Scooby engine cleaner yes, I think every 10k from early in the engines life will benefit from this to reduce the onset of build up but it's not avoidable.

I ran 2 cans through the car over the last 20k which was probably too late at that stage but certainly gave any major build up a push through. Injection service would only be doable with this approach so doing both is a no brainier!

Last edited by barney91; 26-01-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Just bumping this thread with a walnut blasting tool that i have come across that is designed specifically for cleaning valves on direct injection cars. This place sells an adapter to suit VW/Audi/Skoda as well as BMW/Mini.

Info and video on the cleaning process here: http://thegermantooltruck.com/wp/?p=328

Link to related product (injector puller): http://thegermantooltruck.com/wp/?p=180

Link to blasting machine: http://thegermantooltruck.com/wp/?p=174

Daily
    Mk5 Pirelli
    2nd Car
    Mk7 TSI
    Name
    Alex

Where do you get the walnuts?

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by barney91 View Post
    Where do you get the walnuts?
    Have only found US places selling the crushed walnut, but im sure you can get it locally too. Otherwise.....a trip to Coles and a hammer will do the trick

Crushed walnuts: http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-...dia-92155.html

Another blaster (large generic): http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...kit-37025.html

And another (small generic): http://www.harborfreight.com/1-liter...gun-92857.html

A guy on a BMW forum used the small generic gun and it worked. He said that it took a while, but no doubt still faster than scrubbing and soaking them: http://www.moccforums.com/forums/ind...c,28363.0.html

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Daily
    Mk5 Pirelli
    2nd Car
    Mk7 TSI
    Name
    Alex

Doing my R today at 60kms, so lower milage than the GTI. Carbon build up was much worse.

Injectors caked too. In progress, pics coming.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread