Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My other German fling: Mk6 GTI

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

My other German fling: Mk6 GTI

In Jan 2014, this MK6 GTI was traded in at my brothers work (local Skoda dealership) and he rang me to see if i might be interested. A candy white, 2010 Mk6 GTI with manual gearbox had just been traded in on a new Octavia. It was a 1 owner vehicle, older couple owned it, a local Newcastle car, completely stock standard, 55,000km, had full service history and all the bodywork and interior were tidy - needed a good clean but no accidents etc. The only options were a reverse camera and genuine towbar kit. (towbar kit and since been removed and sold....that was a fun job).

So we bought it for the trade in price and off we went. As it was purchased for the trade in price, the car was not cleaned or serviced etc like you might expect. I actually prefer it this way as I can see how the car was treated previously and clean it my way.

Upon driving it, I noticed the RCD510 would turn off and then back on every minute or so. Hmmm what’s going on here. I took my VCDS cable out and it diagnosed a faulty ignition switch. Apart from the ignition switch errors (4 errors in total relating to the switch) the VCDS scan came back clear. An initial order with ECS Tuning was made for the ignition switch and several other items like a fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter etc. Took about 3 hours to replace the ignition switch (absolute bitch to get it out) but all is now good and the RCD510 no longer turns off.

After getting the car home, the cleaning begun. I removed the seats (front and rear) and they all got a shampoo, scrub and blast with the Gerni. They weren’t too dirty, but I wanted them as clean as I could get them. Taking the seats out also allowed me to give the carpet a really good clean too. The seats came up really clean and bright, but they took AGES to dry. The foam must be really dense. I have cleaned many car seats in the past and nothing has ever taken as long as these ones to dry.

The engine was also degreased and high pressure cleaned. It wasn’t too grotty, mainly dust and dirt from normal driving. Most people never open the bonnet so the engine is normally pretty dirty.

The paintwork was washed, degreased, clay barred, buffed with 2x different compounds and pads, then hand polished and then finally waxed. I will wax it again soon to make sure it’s perfect.

I removed the wheels to clean them thoroughly, and while they were off I took the time to paint the hubs as well as clean all of the inner guards and shock absorber/suspension pieces etc.

Now that the car is clean, it’s time to look at giving this engine a service and then start with some light modifications. I replaced the spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, fitted a new AFE Dry panel filter (much better than K&N), did a DIY carbon clean with the Nulon cleaner and did an oil change. I have already enquired with DNA Tuning about a tune and waiting to find out whether my ECU is encrypted or not. The car goes well already, so not really chasing too much power, but would like to hear the turbo some more as it’s basically silent.

A second order with ECS is on it’s way to me now with some more items like a new rear valance (OEM one was has been butchered with the towbar kit), the clip to fix the wastegate rattle, and a few other bits and bobs that I would like to replace on the car.

Have also ordered genuine VW LED tail lights off the Golf R from Bold Sport (best pricing I could find) and it comes with the wiring adapters. USP are providing a dog bone mount, and LEDPerf are sending me new H15 bulbs for the DRL and High Beam.

Spec:
    2010 VW Golf GTI
    Manual
    Reverse Camera
    Tartan "Jacky" seats
    OEM VW 9w7 Bluetooth kit (retrofitted)

Mods:

Engine & Transmission:

- DNA Tuning Stage 2 tune (+40kw and +90nm)
    - Unitronic 2.0TSI intake with custom carbon fiber air filter shroud
    - EuroJet 3" dump pipe
    - CTS catback exhaust
    - Unitronic DV relocation kit
    - NeuSpeed style alloy charge and discharge pipes
    - Spulen turbo muffler delete kit
    - OEM Turbo wastegate rattle clip
    - 42DD gear shifter bushings and Verdict Motorsports bracket bushings
    - BSH dog bone mount 70 duro
    - Turbosmart plumb back diverter valve upgrade
    - Audi R8 red ignition coil packs
    - Revised timing chain tensioner and associated parts fitted Sept 2014 due to stock tensioner failing and timing chain becoming noisy.

Exterior/Lighting:

- OEM Golf R LED tinted tail lights
    - OEM twin reverse light conversion with Bold Sport LED reverse lights (awesome and super bright)
    - Golf R style headlights with Morimoto 35w Canbus HID kit 5500k (Eagle Eyes headlights)
    - MTEC Fog light bulbs (4750k)
    - Bold Sport T10 LED Parker Lights
    - JOM Germany replacement LED number plate lights with Canbus

Interior:

- OEM VW 9w7 Bluetooth kit (retrofitted)
    - Stainless steel GTI door sills
    - Stainless steel GTI seat handle inserts
    - GTI "Jacky" ignition bezel cover
    - Updated GTI lower steering wheel emblem (grey and chrome from 2012+ models)
    - Custom black floor mats with GTI logo, red border and heel pad
    - JPM Coachworks leather gailter/gear boot
    - CarStyle4You GTI button and garage opener button

Exterior/Brakes/Wheels/Suspension:

- Remsa brake pads (disks machined before fitting pads)
    - New rear OEM valance/diffuser
    - Removal of VW OEM towbar kit and wiring (sold to another forum member and fitted to his Mk6). Used VCDS to code out the towbar from the Canbus.
    - Brake hubs/disks painted silver
    - VMR V705 rims in gunmetal grey 18x8 ET50
    - Michelin Pilot Sport tyres 225/40/18
    - McGard wheel bolt kit (M14x1.5) in gloss black
    - SPM lowered springs (approx 28mm drop and no scrubbing with my wheel/tyre specs)
    - Koni Sport (Yellow) adjustable shocks
    - Solid rubber OEM lower control arm bushes (rear ones)

VCDS Tweaks:
    - Needle sweep on startup
    - Horn beep when locking/unlocking
    - Brake light flash during emergency braking
    - XDL diff adjustment
    - Coded out the towbar from the Canbus (towbar was removed)

As it was traded:

The car on the day i picked it up (had already washed it when i took this photo):

As it sits now:

Interior pulled to bits for shampoo and high pressure clean:

42DD shifter bushings and Verdict Motorsport bracket bushings:

Dirty Exhaust Tips (don't think they had ever been cleaned). Took about 15 mins each to get them clean again:

More random dirt inside and engine bay (all clean now):

Time for some service/maintenance items:

Painted brake hubs and cleaning all the inner guards/suspension parts (removed lining to access):

Last edited by Lucas_R; 20-09-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Daily
    MKV R32
    Name
    Rob

Nice work Lucas and great job on the clean-up to bring her back to life.

Great car and a sister for the R.

Biggest problem here mate is that your mod budget has just doubled. Too much temptation to just leave her stock, as you have no doubt already realised!

Keen to see it develop!
    MKV R32 TVS Rotrex Supercharged

Daily
    Golf R MKVI
    Name
    Ray

Hi Lucas, great work on reviving the car to mint condition! Just wondering what's the Turbo waste gate rattle clip used for?

Daily
    '12 MB C63
    Name
    Geoff

I love reading your work Lucas. All the best with this new acquisition.

Hey Lucas, what product did you use to get the carbon build up off the exhaust tips. I need to do this myself

Daily
    MKV BMP 3dr GTI
    Name
    Tom

A good DIY write up Lucas, thanks for sharing. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the GTI compares to the R after 6 months of owning both.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Nice work Lucas and great job on the clean-up to bring her back to life.

Great car and a sister for the R.

Biggest problem here mate is that your mod budget has just doubled. Too much temptation to just leave her stock, as you have no doubt already realised!

Keen to see it develop!
    Tell me about the mod budget...... . Truth be told, this car will only be lightly breathed upon, as it will be the "daily" and the wife's car - so needs to be 100% reliable and in working order all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kissmymac View Post
    Hi Lucas, great work on reviving the car to mint condition! Just wondering what's the Turbo waste gate rattle clip used for?
    Yes it took alot of work to detail the entire car inside out and upside down, but its now done and looks alot better. Regarding the rattle on the wastegate, the engine in the GTI is renown for it and i can hear it clearly on my car. This issue can be fixed with a special "clip". It does not happen to Golf R's so you are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I love reading your work Lucas. All the best with this new acquisition.
    Thanks Geo - don't see you around here much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by patto View Post
    Hey Lucas, what product did you use to get the carbon build up off the exhaust tips. I need to do this myself
    I used the finest steel wool i could find (Supercheap) and it did 90% of the work. Then i used Autobrite metal polish to finish them off. Considering how bad they were, they have come up really well. If you get right down close you can see the chrome is a bit damaged though. I may replace the tips at a later stage with some slash cut/angle cut ones.

Quote Originally Posted by tom89 View Post
    A good DIY write up Lucas, thanks for sharing. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the GTI compares to the R after 6 months of owning both.
    I've been driving the GTI on and off for the past month so i already have some limited feedback for you. They are similar in many ways but also different in many ways. The GTI is noticeably lighter and more nimble than the R, but it torque steers quite a bit (especially top of 2nd gear) and wheel spins. Steering is too vague and light on the GTI so i will get the Superpro poly lower control arm bushes soon and that will give the steering more feedback and a better overall feel.

Daily
    MkV GTI (for sale)
    2nd Car
    Cooper S (Sold)
    Name
    Greig

Awesome addition to the fleet.

I can definitely see a BT on the R and the (reworked) K04 ending up on this.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by antihero3000 View Post
    Awesome addition to the fleet.

I can definitely see a BT on the R and the (reworked) K04 ending up on this.
    Hmmm yes that has crossed my mind. Need to win Lotto first though

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

OEM Dump Pipe Mod

OEM dump pipe ghetto mod:

I know this won't be looked upon favourably by some....BUT i have an OEM dump pipe sitting in my garage off a GTi that is no longer needed. So this "mod" will cost me no money and i still have a stock (untouched) dump pipe if i ever need to revert back to it. If there's horsepower to be had, you can have it for free - then why not. So....let's play.

I decided this afternoon to bash out the top catalytic convertor and only retain the bottom one. This should remove quite a bit of restriction from the OEM dump pipe.

Until i get a tune, i will use a 42DD spacer to prevent a CEL.

Took all of 5 mins to knock it out with a hammer and pry bar.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 25-02-2014 at 09:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread