Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official MK7 Wheel Thread

Daily
    Golf GTi MK6
    Name
    Alan

The Official MK7 Wheel Thread

Following on from some threads started by Mr Scruff and taking a similar approach to another car forum thanks to Dutch77 (David) I'm going to introduce this thread as a resource area and source of inspiration for anyone with a MK7.

If you are new to the whole modifying game and want to fit new wheels to your MKVII please post your questions & suggestions here instead of starting a new thread.

Also if you have any tips or experience in fitting wheels of any size to your MKVII please feel free to share your experience here.

Thanks.

Basic info
    The PCD (stud pattern) for all MKVII's is 5x112
    The centre bore is 57.1mm
    Base offset is around +40 depending on the model.

What is offset?
    The back spacing from the hub surface to the rim of the wheel.

What wheels will fit?
    Any wheel with a 5x112 stud pattern up to 20 inch will fit. Wheel sizes between 18-19 will look the best. Any width up to 7 inches will fit without problems but any wider and you'll need to alter the car.

Spacers & Adapters
    If you want to fit wheels with a different stud pattern you will need adapters. Spacers are used to space the wheel out from the hub to make it appear wider.

For inspiration & visualisation
    To give others an idea of what a particular wheel set-up looks like, post a picture of your car and the following details in this order:

brand, model, color, diameter, width and offset where known and also advise whether your car is running any modified suspension components which could impact the fitment.

Lets kick it off with the OEM wheel selection:

Important note: not all wheels in this thread are legal fitment in Australia. The thread should be used as a style guide only and any fitment issues checked prior to committing to a set of wheels. Feel free to post questions in the thread.

AUSTIN
    Specs: 18 x 7.5, ET49, weight tbc
    Details: standard fitment to GTI

SANTIAGO
    Specs: 19 x 7.5, ET51, weight tbc
    Details: standard fitment to GTI PP

CADIZ
    Specs: 19 x 8, ET50, weight tbc
    Details: standard fitment to R

PRETORIA
    Specs: 19 x 8, ET50, weight tbc
    Details: optional fitment to R from certain dealers

MOTORSPORT
    Specs: 18 x 7.5, ET51, weight 23.1lbs/10.5kg
    Details: optional fitment from dealers
    Last edited by grandturismo; 20-05-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.
    - Ayrton Senna

@g_turismo

Daily
    2015 Scirocco R Pooh
    2nd Car
    Tight bum R Spec
    Name
    David Le

Very nice Alan, this will help a lot of people, when buying new wheels!

Daily
    Mk7 R
    Name
    Bernie

if a forum member can provide the weight specs; that would be much appreciated.

Cheers Alan

Daily
    Golf VII .:R
    Name
    Markus

Yup, very helpful thread! *thumbup*
    2014 MK VII .:R, 5-door, DSG, Lapiz Blue, stock plus OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET45 plus IS-Racing BBK plus Bilstein Clubsport Coilover Kit
    Always fresh onboards from Nordschleife here: www.youtube.com/user/TheMaody66
    My MK VII R Build: http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread....s-Golf-VII-.-R

Daily
    My17 Golf R
    Name
    Alex

I have not seen these PRETORIA wheels as an option form a dealer.
    They aren't too bad

Daily
    Mk7 GTI
    2nd Car
    CX5 GT
    Name
    David

Thanks grandturismo for the introduction. I started a thread on another forum for Mk7 wheels originally to help me choose wheels for my own ride, but it quickly snowballed into an 'official' wheel thread for all Mk7 owners.

Over the next few days I'll update the thread for what I have posted on the original so apologies if there are double ups with existing photo threads over here. Basically I have been posting pics of various classic and new designs on Mk7s to assist owners with ideas for their cars and to stimulate a little discussion and debate.

FYI on the Pretorias, at least one dealer is offering them as an option but you'd better be sitting down before asking the price - $1,800 a corner. You can also get them from Germany for around $4,000 plus freight, duties and taxes. Nice design, and they are forged and supposedly lightweight, but I'll stick to non-OEM thanks.

I haven't located OEM weights yet for the Mk7 wheels but can get a measure on the Austins as they are now sitting boxed in my laundry.

Daily
    2015 Scirocco R Pooh
    2nd Car
    Tight bum R Spec
    Name
    David Le

If my after market wheels are 18x8 45et, how wide can I go with tyres? I wanna prevent as much tyre spin off the line as possible, if it doesn't help, I will look further into an anti lift kit. Tyres of choice so far is Hankook ventus s1 evo2. Anyone with any ideas?

Daily
    Golf VII .:R
    Name
    Markus

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDI View Post
    If my after market wheels are 18x8 45et, how wide can I go with tyres? I wanna prevent as much tyre spin off the line as possible, if it doesn't help, I will look further into an anti lift kit. Tyres of choice so far is Hankook ventus s1 evo2. Anyone with any ideas?
    I drive OZ UL in 8 x 18 ET45 and had 235/40/18 Conti tyres (wide for a 235) on them without any issues (front and back). Even when driving the Nordschleife very hard. So I can confirm this combination.

If it could be be possible to go to 245/35/18 or 245/40/18 I don't know, but it looks as if it might be. Maybe if you chose a slim 245 tyre.
    2014 MK VII .:R, 5-door, DSG, Lapiz Blue, stock plus OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET45 plus IS-Racing BBK plus Bilstein Clubsport Coilover Kit
    Always fresh onboards from Nordschleife here: www.youtube.com/user/TheMaody66
    My MK VII R Build: http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread....s-Golf-VII-.-R

Daily
    Mk7 GTI
    2nd Car
    CX5 GT
    Name
    David

BBS CH BLACK
    Specs: 19 x 8, ET50, weight 25.3lbs/11.5kg
    Tyres: 235/35 R19 Dunlop Sportmaxx
    Details: Milltek development vehicle fitted with Eibach Pro-Kit springs

Always a big fan of the CH but unsure if it works on the Mk7, and thinking the silver finish may work better on the darker color. At least on the black CH the stainless lip protector provides some definition to the wheel.
    Last edited by Dutch77; 22-05-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Daily
    Mk7 GTI
    2nd Car
    CX5 GT
    Name
    David

BBS CK
    Specs: 19 x 8, ET44, weight 26.2lbs/11.9kg
    Tyres: 235/35 R19

Last edited by Dutch77; 22-05-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    2014 Golf GTI | DSG | Carbon Steel | OZ Leggera HLTs 18x8
    2010 Golf GTI | APR Stage 2 | 42DD 3" Downpipe & 3.5" Tips | OZ ST LMs 18x8 | VWR Springs | R8 Coil Pack
    2012 Polo 77TSI | Sports pack | Comfort pack

+ Reply to Thread