Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine stalls when braking?

Daily
    Mk 1 Golf GTI

Engine stalls when braking?

Hi all,

I have bought a Mk2 Cabriolet (which, as far as I can tell, is virtually identical to a Mk1) that has been sitting for over a year. I am trying to get it road worthy.

So far so good, but I am having an issue with the engine and braking:

The engine stalls when I slow down, even a little. At first I thought this might be something to do with the brake booster vacuum hoses but the issue does not happen when I reverse and brake. In fact, I can reverse, lock up the wheels and the engines is happy.

The engine idles, starts and accelerates fine and the brakes feel fine.

I'm not sure if its a petrol issue either. I've replaced the old petrol that was in the tank with new, fresh petrol and when the engine dies it just stops - doesnt sputter out like theres low fuel.

Would anyone know what could be causing this?

Many thanks!

Daily
    R32 MKV
    Name
    Paul

I had this issue in the beetle. Once it was a coil on the way out. Coil going to a distributor that is.

The other time it was the fuel pump. The diaphram in the pump started to fail. Fine on full throttle with plenty of fuel pumping, but was unable to regulate off the gas.

Im thinking fuel pump issue.

Hope this helps.

Daily
    Mk 1 Golf GTI

Thanks! Ill test the coil as I think its something electrical as the engine doesnt sputter like its starved for fuel- just cuts out completely.

Daily
    Polo GTI
    2nd Car
    S3
    Name
    Gavin

VW didn't make a MK2 cab. When the MK2 Golf was released they soldiered on with the MK1 and then did a facelift of it to bridge the gap to the MK3 being released.

The cab has K-jetronic injection here AFAIK, so no mechanical pumps to fail. They generally run or not. In my experience with k-jet, having had lots of GTIs in the UK is that base set up is everything.

Get a manual or find it on line and carry it out. Idle adjustment and timing set. If it still does it then the next place I would look is vacuum leaks after the air flow meter. If the flap falls too far, it cuts the fuel dead.

If you are keeping the car any length of time, get "How to tune and modify Bosch fuel injection" and read it cover to cover.

Gavin

Daily
    Mk3 VR6
    Name
    Josh

Throwing the ball around a bit - but a while back I had a faulty earth on my MkIII, anytime I'd hit the brakes, turn the lights on, try to put the window down it would stall

So check your battery earth cable and all the other earth points.

+ Reply to Thread