Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: audi s3 8p3 with the usual mods

Daily
    audi s3
    Name
    little baby jesus

a few minor updates with some photos of the wheel swap I did recently, new for old...

some might wonder why I changed it but for me the slightly extra thickness of the wheel was worth the change...

had to remove the paddles...

and repin the the connector...

but I reckon it was worth it...

Daily
    audi s3
    Name
    little baby jesus

been a bit slow lately but I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's euro event at lakeside, it provided a much needed injection of enthusiasm. mainly due to a passenger seat session in Barry's TT, thanks Baz and apologies if my finger nail marks are still imprinted in your Jesus rail...

I've been jealous of some of the semi's that are being used on track days so if you can't beat them, join them. big thanks to Al for these two Hankook's and another pair on the way shortly...

been on torqbytes website and keen to order the lpfp pump controller and up the performance, more to come soon...

Daily
    audi s3
    Name
    little baby jesus

and had it's 32,000k birthday...

Daily
    audi s3
    Name
    little baby jesus

decided to change the oil this weekend as an interim in between full services due to a bit of track time lately. bought this little lot to make the job easy...

and because I didn't want to mess around with jacks and axle stands I picked up these caravan levellers, plenty of room for an oil change once the cars on these...

for anyone who hasn't changed the oil before its very easy with the right gear, thought I'd take a photo at each step incase it helps others. this is the oil filter which is accessible once you have removed the under tray via the 8 torx25 screws (4 each side)...

this is the filter housing after the dust cover is removed...

and this is a new tool I bought for draining the oil out of the housing. you can use other methods but after years of working on cars saving money and making do with whatever tools I had, its nice to have the right gear. it makes it so much easier and cleaner process...

draining oil from the housing...

36mm socket for removing the filter housing, rotate anticlockwise as usual...

I sat the filter housing on the bowl while i went to get the new filter and some long nose pliers to remove the o-ring...

pretty much all the tools you need to do the job...

and the torque wrench if you're nervous about cracking the housing like me, 25nm for tightening torque...

comparison between old and new filter colour...

and finally back together with an ezitap to drop the oil without removing a sump plug next time...

Daily
    audi s3
    Name
    little baby jesus

a couple of steps closer to getting the pm3 up and running, hardest part ever getting a feed through the firewall...

installed a 40 amp fuse at the battery as per the destructions...

a couple more connections to make and its golden...

Daily
    audi s3
    Name
    little baby jesus

final wiring installed and heat shrink wrapped...

all wrapped and tidy at the pump too, trying to keep it as oem as possible...

all hooked up in the boot with the wiring diagram for anyone planning to do the same install. the instructions say not to keep it covered due to heat transfer put pretty difficult to find anywhere decent to put it. i'm planning t pull the boot carpet out on track days to let some air circulate around the heat sinks, i'm sure that will be sufficient...

i took it for a steady run to the coast and back, no issues so i think i've installed it correctly. the real test is lakeside next month, looking forward to getting on the track and catching up with some of the regulars...

Daily
    audi s3
    Name
    little baby jesus

so i took it for a run after i put it back together and the car was misfiring badly, i couldn't believe it and thought it must be something to do with the new controller. i disconnected the new unit and took it for another spin and the car was still misfiring...

i started with the basic and cheapest replacement part i could think of; spark plugs. before removing them my ocd took over and a labelled the coil packs (i know they are not the cylinder firing numbers but i'd never get that right, so just i just went from left to right. i'm a poet and i don't know it)...

looks like i got lucky with my second guess...

i switched them for ngk's recommend for stage 2+...

and before i put it all back together i thought i'd take this photo, things are getting out of hand on the "everything must be symmetrical front"...

while i was trying to diagnose the issue i also bought a spare oem standard pump controller as i was reliably informed by the internet that if you are running the upgraded pump on the stock controller there is a chance the stock controller will be damaged. the truth is out there...

either way i now have a spare that i will take with me to the track and swap out if the car starts to play up like a mo fo...

+ Reply to Thread