Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What mods should I do to my Golf MK7 TSI?

Name
    Rik

What mods should I do to my Golf MK7 TSI?

Hey guys,

I bought a new white golf 1.4 TSI at the start of this year and am now ready to make some modifications, particularly aesthetic mods:

1. Gloss black roof and mirrors wrap (from Distinct Customs in Perth, for $320 all up, is this a good price?)

2. Alloy wheels (I held out on getting alloy wheels when I bought it, and have 15" steel wheels atm) - was going to get 17" but I'm now leaning towards 18" because they look way better. Probably going to get these: http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/store/wh...e-package.html

3. Lowering it a little bit. I've heard of Eibach springs and VWR springs. Any suggestions? Which ones would be easy to install myself or would I be better off getting it done by someone else?

4. Maybe plasti dip the VW logo. I think this can be undone if need be? Or I could I get a VW logo sticker insert.

5. Really wanted to smoke the tail lights a little to look more like the Golf R tail lights, but I've heard cops can pull you over for this?

6. Wanted to upgrade headlights/taillights (HID/LED) but that is most likely out of my budget and I don't want to damage my car trying to install them (is it actually hard to do?)!

7. Paint the brake calipers red or just get caliper covers?

8. Anything else easy, simple, and relatively inexpensive?

Could you guys make any recommendations/suggestions? I don't want to void my warranty, and thus am staying away from performance mods - are there any performance mods that would be easy enough and not void warranty?

Thanks guys
    Last edited by cozmicf; 24-12-2014 at 12:39 AM.

Daily
    Golf R
    2nd Car
    TDI transporter
    Name
    Chris

Hey mate, welcome
    Sounds like a great car
    Come along to coffee on a saturday morning,
    Although Elixir (where we meet ) is going to be closed for the next 2 saturdays.
    We are a great crew, and you can check out everyones cars, some great mods to be seen.
    I do 3M vinyl wrapping, and tail light tinting (film)if you were keen to have a look at my 'R'
    .:EuroSpec Tuning:.

Daily
    2014 Golf mk7
    Name
    Oliver

Hey mate,

I'm also from Perth and just got a 1.4 tsi! I'm also in a similar situation, in that I am looking at making some aesthetic mods.

On point 1: I hadn't looked into prices for gloss black roof wrap but $320 sounds pretty good, I might get it done too!

On point 2: Check tirerack.com for alloys, usually really cheap even with shipping included.

On point 4: I just ordered a badgeskin, $32 incl. shipping and look really classy IMO. Purchased from here.

On point 8: Debadging is basically free and gives a really clean look if that's what you're after. Also deleting the rear wiper looks can give a clean look and is relatively cheap ($40 ish for the plug).

Debadged:

Rear wiper deleted:

One performance mod that won't void the warranty is the removal of the muffler/resonator. Gives the car a bit of growl and is pretty cheap too! The links below show the change:

Stock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-l0...ature=youtu.be

Resonator Removed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnWe...ature=youtu.be

Name
    Rik

Hey, thanks for the replies.

@RR41
    Might consider coming to one of those meet ups some time. What time do you normally meet and where is Elixir?

How much would you charge to do a roof wrap and mirror wrap? Do you know if tinted tail lights are legal?

@kry_wolf
    Thanks for the advice.

I had a quick look at the tirerack website, but it seems like its overseas. I can't really find details on international shipping but I imagine it wouldn't be cheap for shipping to Australia?

I like your badgeskin, but I was thinking of getting something a bit more subtle like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Car...item3385d8f1f3

Do you have any instructions on removing the muffler/resonator? Will it be easy to reinstall if I need to?

Thanks.

Daily
    2014 Golf mk7
    Name
    Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by cozmicf View Post
    @kry_wolf
    Thanks for the advice.

I had a quick look at the tirerack website, but it seems like its overseas. I can't really find details on international shipping but I imagine it wouldn't be cheap for shipping to Australia?

I like your badgeskin, but I was thinking of getting something a bit more subtle like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Car...item3385d8f1f3

Do you have any instructions on removing the muffler/resonator? Will it be easy to reinstall if I need to?
    Yeah tirerack is based in America, they do ship most brands to Australia (I think BBS and a few other brands don't allow Aus shipping, however you can set up mail forwarding to avoid this restriction).
    Even with shipping included it's cheaper usually. (e.g. a single MSW Type 26 wheel on tirerack goes for ~$200 AUD while on ebay, same wheel goes for ~$350)

Yeah that skin looks good too, its all preference/taste

Just take the car into a muffler/exhaust workshop and ask for a muffler or resonator removal... might be around $150-$200?, really depends on where you get it done.
    Here's a thread on muffler (suitcase) vs. resonator removal (its from 2010 but still relevant).

How you liking the car overall so far?

Name
    Rik

I've had the car about 7 months now and I'm loving it. Great interior, buttery smooth ride, nice and zippy, looks awesome, gets great fuel economy. Couldn't really be happier with it unless it was a GTI or R

Daily
    2014 Golf mk7
    Name
    Oliver

I've had the car about 7 months now and I'm loving it. Great interior, buttery smooth ride, nice and zippy, looks awesome, gets great fuel economy. Couldn't really be happier with it unless it was a GTI or R
    Yep, same here. Scirocco R or Golf R is the dream car...

Daily
    MkVII .:R-line wagon
    2nd Car
    Nissan Stagea C34s1
    Name
    Nick

Hey guys,

I bought a new white golf 1.4 TSI at the start of this year and am now ready to make some modifications, particularly aesthetic mods:

1. Gloss black roof and mirrors wrap (from Distinct Customs in Perth, for $320 all up, is this a good price?)

2. Alloy wheels (I held out on getting alloy wheels when I bought it, and have 15" steel wheels atm) - was going to get 17" but I'm now leaning towards 18" because they look way better. Probably going to get these: http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/store/wh...e-package.html

3. Lowering it a little bit. I've heard of Eibach springs and VWR springs. Any suggestions? Which ones would be easy to install myself or would I be better off getting it done by someone else?

4. Maybe plasti dip the VW logo. I think this can be undone if need be? Or I could I get a VW logo sticker insert.

5. Really wanted to smoke the tail lights a little to look more like the Golf R tail lights, but I've heard cops can pull you over for this?

6. Wanted to upgrade headlights/taillights (HID/LED) but that is most likely out of my budget and I don't want to damage my car trying to install them (is it actually hard to do?)!

7. Paint the brake calipers red or just get caliper covers?

8. Anything else easy, simple, and relatively inexpensive?

Could you guys make any recommendations/suggestions? I don't want to void my warranty, and thus am staying away from performance mods - are there any performance mods that would be easy enough and not void warranty?

Thanks guys
    If you do end up going for that wheel and tyre package, make sure that you get a decent set of tyres! Not much point in having a nice car that rides and handles well if you have cheap, dodgy tyres on it. At the very least, get something similar to what is on your factory wheels (but in the right size to suit the new wheels, obviously) or whatever VW would supply on cars that do come out with 18" wheels. Remember, the tyres are the only contact your car has with the road. There's no use modifying your suspension, brakes or engine if you've got cheap, crappy tyres on your car that won't make the most of its new performance levels.

Name
    Rik

Quote Originally Posted by GoldZilla View Post
    If you do end up going for that wheel and tyre package, make sure that you get a decent set of tyres! Not much point in having a nice car that rides and handles well if you have cheap, dodgy tyres on it. At the very least, get something similar to what is on your factory wheels (but in the right size to suit the new wheels, obviously) or whatever VW would supply on cars that do come out with 18" wheels. Remember, the tyres are the only contact your car has with the road. There's no use modifying your suspension, brakes or engine if you've got cheap, crappy tyres on your car that won't make the most of its new performance levels.
    That's a great point, thanks for bringing that up. Which type of tyres should I get? 215, 225, 235? Pirelli, Michelin, Kumho, Dunlop, Toyo, Nitto?

Daily
    MkVII .:R-line wagon
    2nd Car
    Nissan Stagea C34s1
    Name
    Nick

That's a great point, thanks for bringing that up. Which type of tyres should I get? 215, 225, 235? Pirelli, Michelin, Kumho, Dunlop, Toyo, Nitto?
    I think Golfs with 18s are usually specced with 225/40/18. The R-line runs Bridgestone Potenza S-001's, not sure what the other models in the range run...

+ Reply to Thread