Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof Lining Issue

Daily
    Mk III Golf
    Name
    George

Roof Lining Issue

Need to get the plastic interior trim from around the door windows off, along with the hand holds, to get to the sides of the roof lining to glue it back up. How do I do that without damaging the pieces? Anyone done this before?

Daily
    2001 VW Bora
    2nd Car
    1996 Vento VR6

Door hands have a screw or two holding them in from memory.
    Sunvisors have a screw one end (clip end) and roll out from the other (again this is all from memory)
    A/b and c pillar trims generlly just pull off unless you can see a screw (think there is one hidden by the dash up front but you won't really need to worry about that.
    Interior lights just pop out.
    Can't remember what holds the hatch trim on. Maybe Just clips Like the pillars
    Black VW Bora
    Silver Leaf Metallic Passat CC (the old mans)
    Black VW Vento + Black VR6 (project)
    Blue 6N Polo (Kirstims)

Daily
    Mk3

my roof lining came off also, i tackled it in a different way. The cause was the antenna rubber fail, water got in.

I got a syringe, glue and strong magnets, injected the glue thru the material and then the magnets held it up where needed to keep the material shape.

Daily
    Mk III Golf
    Name
    George

Interesting technique Mattross! Managed to get it all back to normal with some spray adhesive after peeling off the sides under the trim. Tried a little paint roller first but the back of my fingers worked better when smoothing it back on

Daily
    Mk III Golf
    Name
    George

Well that worked for s while but the glue broke away from the roof panel as it is deteriorated too much and lining is sagging again!

Daily
    Mk III Golf
    Name
    George

Just wanted to add one final tip to this after sorting this out once and for all. I got the whole panel out of the car, stripped of the fabric and the old foam padding underneath (using a stiff brush) got some new fabric (make sure it's stretchy, like gym clothes) and glued it with spray adhesive.

DONT USE SELLEYS!! I used that and it all sagged again! Sikabond (Bunnings has it) is the stuff you want. 3-4 times stronger than Selleys and finally got the problem sorted.

Daily
    Mal
    Name
    Malcolm

Try this article http://www.diynexus.com/vw/mk3_remov...headliner.html, i have found it useful.
    I am in the process of replacing my hoodlining in my 97 MK3 CL Golf.

+ Reply to Thread