Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedometer on MK3

Daily
    VW Golf MK3

All the wiring seemed fined, no cracked or broken wires. Cleaned the battery terminals etc. Took it for a drive and when I went to start it again the speedo didn't work again.
    So I got a little fine pin, heated it up and pushed it through the plastic face of speedo. I positioned it so it was just holding the speedo at 1kph, not on 0. I've been driving it around all day to the shops, up and down the street etc and it has been working now, starts every time. I know it's just a quick fix but it worked for me, can't even notice the pin.

Daily
    Mk3

did you try the VSS on the gearbox.

Daily
    97 CL Golf
    2nd Car
    2013 Harley Davidson
    Name
    Andrew

Which one is the VSS on the gearbox?? how many wires(colours) is the correct one?
    I have this issue too. was working until today when I washed the engine bay. Only the speedo isn't working

Daily
    Mk3

VSS - Vehicle Speed Sender, on the gear box for manual, 1 clip of 3 wires as in link.
    http://www.urotuning.com/Vehicle-Spe...1h0919149a.htm

Daily
    97 CL Golf
    2nd Car
    2013 Harley Davidson
    Name
    Andrew

I have the 97' CL 1.8 Auto and the only 3 wire plug I have is on the gearbox close to the fire wall. The way it fits in doesn't look anything like the part shown in the above link. The part with that fitments only has two wires on my gearbox... Anyone know of exact location? Frustrating as I've only had the car 1 week.

Daily
    Mazda Tribute
    2nd Car
    1997 vw mk3 golf
    Name
    Glenn

97ClDrew did you ever fix this. The 2 wire pin sensor you have would be the Auto trans speed sensor which is the issue I am having now putting the car into limp mode. The sensor you located near the firewall is the one I believe is the speedo and tacho sensor. Forums are only any good if problems solved are reported back on as well and I see no-one ever got back to you.

Cheers, Glenn

Daily
    Golf
    2nd Car
    Pajero
    Name
    Kevin

Very likely the stepping motor in the instrument cluster not working properly.
    There is a very good video on youtube showing you how to change it.
    I replaced mine two years ago.

Daily
    mk3 golf TDI
    2nd Car
    Drz 400
    Name
    joel sisson

when i got my last mk3 the speedo and tacho didnt work although my fuel and temp did. i found that the connections within the cluster itself at eroded and come off, nothing to do with the sensors or wires behind the dash (in my case anyway) easiest fix is a new cluster unless you want to tear it apart good luck!

+ Reply to Thread