Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member Marketplace - Read up!

Daily
    MKV R32
    2nd Car
    R32 GT-R
    Name
    Justin Fox

New Member Marketplace - Read up!

Until now, when you were only selling in the forum, potential buyers would only see your listing as long as the thread had activity. If it didn't sell relatively fast, it probably wouldn't sell at all.
    With our new Members Marketplace, however, your item will sell faster than anywhere else. Here are some facts:

- Your listing is organised so that buyers looking for your item can find it easily and cleanly.
    - Buyers can pay for the item the moment they are interested.
    - Buyers feel safer now that listings come with buyer protection.
    - Listings will also create threads in the forum, so you can maintain the same visibility and conversation as before.

Other benefits include:

- Instant credit card processing.
    - Same day payment.
    - Automated emails that let you know when your item sells, when you have a message, etc.
    - Fraud protection for you and for buyers.
    - Built-in feedback system that helps quality sellers like you.
    - Optional promotional options that will exponentially increase your exposure.

Hope everyone's enjoying the new Member Marketplace!

Daily
    MKVI .:R
    2nd Car
    Built Evo 8 (sold)
    Name
    Tim

I've just posted my first add using the new system. It's flawed for one particular reason.

You must select from 3 options - Local pickup only, postage calculated on buyers location, flat fee for postage

If you say local pickup only, you are doing yourself out of buyers in other locations *(This is of course relevant if you don't want to post the item)
    If you try and select postage calculated on buyers location you cannot do so, since it depends on knowing the buyers location which at the time of posting a new add is obviously impossible

If you are prepared to post the item, you cannot select choice 1. You cannot select choice 2 since it's greyed out for an obvious reason being we cannot possibly know the buyers location when we have not yet sold the item. You therefore must select flat rate shipping - how can we possibly do this without either over charging buyers or selling ourselves short? You can't, clearly. So anyone prepared to post an item still selects this option since we're cornered into it, then we need to log into PayPal to enable the protection you suggest buyers are feeling safer as a result of. We can now enter a value for flat rate shipping, but as I said how can one accurately do this? say I sell my headunit to a guy in canberra, the shipping would be far cheaper than a guy who is in say Townsville, right?

So say i put nothing in the flat rate shipping field. PayPal section calculates the fees based on the asking price, I check the buyer pays fees option, and it calculates a total price linked to the button in the thread on this forum the buyer can click on to pay, right? Wrong. Because that price doesn't account for shipping...so this must be negotiated and a separate payment made, or you take it off forum and use bank deposit method anyway.

Lastly, what if one has many items to sell? Using the new method, we must create a new listing (which in turn creates a new thread) for each separate item. This is inefficient and will clog the forum with many more threads than necessary.

So I ask - can we please have this fixed? I like the idea but it's sloppy, inefficient and overly prescriptive in its current form. It just fails to capture the requirements of selling on an active forum. At least give us the option to post for sale threads the old way until this new way actually works properly.
    Last edited by CWR; 06-04-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    MY12 Golf.:R

Daily
    MKV R32
    2nd Car
    R32 GT-R
    Name
    Justin Fox

I'll look into it Tim!

Administrator
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by CWR View Post
    You must select from 3 options - Local pickup only, postage calculated on buyers location, flat fee for postage....

Lastly, what if one has many items to sell? Using the new method, we must create a new listing (which in turn creates a new thread) for each separate item. This is inefficient and will clog the forum with many more threads than necessary.

So I ask - can we please have this fixed? I like the idea but it's sloppy, inefficient and overly prescriptive in its current form. It just fails to capture the requirements of selling on an active forum. At least give us the option to post for sale threads the old way until this new way actually works properly.
    Thank you for sharing this feedback. There is absolutely room for improvement here. We are always working to improve the system. In fact, you can follow the chronology of improvements at the Panjo blog.

The "postage calculated" option only works in the U.S. right now. We hope to get it working in AUS soon. In the U.S. that feature prompts a buyer to enter his postal code when he makes the purchase and then the system calculates the shipping price between the buyer and seller based on their relative locations. Again, the option only works in the U.S. right now.

The realty is that a conversation precedes most (>80%) of the items that sell. The system comes with an offer system that allows you, the seller, to adjust the price for a buyer. Thus, at this juncture, we suggest that you list the item for $x and note that you wish to discuss a mutually agreed upon shipping price and method with the buyer. Using the marketplace message system, you can send a buyer a link to a checkout page with a price that is exclusively for the prospective buyer. Here's how this might look:

You list an item for $100.
    A buyer sends you a message and says, "Will you take $75 shipped to Townsville"
    You reply to the buyer with a message that says, "Yes, I will take $75 shipped to your location, here is a link to a checkout page with a price of $75."
    The buyer purchases the item and the funds deposit in your PayPal account.

You also asked, "what if one has many items to sell?"

Yes, this system benefits sellers who create a unique listing for each item for sale. The benefit of that effort is a higher sell through rate due to the fact that buyers can more easily search, sort, and filter the listings to see what is available. For a little extra upfront effort, the site benefits from a more accurate, more clear, and more navigable marketplace for buyers.

That said, you can 'hack the system' and create a listing for multiple items and still use threaded conversation to track what is and isn't available.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Please keep the feedback coming. It is helpful to know your top priorities for our resources.

Daily
    Skoda Octavia
    Name
    Bradley Gray

I'm really not liking Panjo.

I'm not interested in having people pay by PayPal but there seems to be no way of avoiding that option.

It's a backward move IMO

Daily
    86GTS & Golf 6 R
    2nd Car
    MINI Clubman S
    Name
    Nat

Talking directly on inspection and cash on pick.up / delivery is still the best.

Daily
    MK5 GTI
    2nd Car
    MK6 GTI
    Name
    Mo

Hi Justin,

Just tried to post some stuff but it came up with errors! It also kind of sucks if you want to sell multiple items in the one listing. Does that I mean I need to create an individual listing for each item I want to sell?

08 3DR CW MKV GTI

Daily
    Skoda Octavia
    Name
    Bradley Gray

I've just sold something.

The initial set up was frustrating.

Clicking on the "return to vwgolf.net.au" button results in nothing happening.

I wanted cash on pick up or direct deposit but the "application" seems to want to force you towards PayPal.

Clicking on the "buyer pays PayPal fee" button results in the price being advertised inclusive of paypal fees even if you've selected the COD option.

Now that I've sold my item - the buyer appears to have paid via paypal anyway - there is no money in my paypal account as Panjo acts as an intermediary (is that right???). So he thinks he's paid & wants the item ASAP and I'm saying "Show me the money honey"

It's sucky.

Daily
    Skoda Octavia
    Name
    Bradley Gray

I've received the money from Panjo.

Despite ticking the box that says "buyer pays PayPal Fees" I've been hit with a $9.30 fee.

Also, the buyer appears to have been steered into paying in USD, so they have overpaid. As an honest seller I'm going to have to refund the purchaser money.

I'm simply not seeing what the value-add of this application is.

Administrator
    Name
    Rob

@brad1.8tsi - thanks for sharing the feedback on your transaction. You suffered the consequence of Panjo's incomplete support for the AUS $. Here's what happened and here's what we did to prevent it from happening again until full support for the AUS dollar.

When you listed your item for sale, you did not provide your PayPal info at the time of listing creation. In that case, the listing still gets a "buy now" button and instead of the payment going directly to you, the payment flows to Panjo first. Panjo then checks to see if you have the item and want to move forward with the sale. Panjo then transfers the funds to you. That workflow was processing transactions in U.S. dollars as opposed to AUS dollars. We temporarily shut off that option for this site.

As a result of turning off that option (which was processing transactions in US dollars as opposed to UAS dollars), now, to create a listing, sellers will need to supply a PayPal account. As soon as we can get that U.S. v AUS dollar issue resolve for sellers who don't wish to supply a PayPal account at the time of listing creation, we can restore the option to post a listing and not supply PayPal info.

@brad1.8tsi - I am going to email you directly to help you recoup any fees that you incurred by way of that transaction processing in U.S. dollars as opposed to AUS dollars.

+ Reply to Thread