Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel/Holiday Destination/Info Thread

Daily
    Mk4 .:R32
    2nd Car
    Mk3 VR6/K11 Micra :P
    Name
    Mal

Travel/Holiday Destination/Info Thread

Hey fellas,

I suppose being on the younger end of the scale, I don't have the necessary experience when looking/researching in this type of field etc...

Basically the plan is to spend 2 weeks in Ibiza (Off the west coast of Spain) with another 2 mates and live it up as young pups. Am starting the research now, so as to budget paying for the trip. (I'd be happy with the flights and accomodation paid for before I go, and then wing it with however much else I can put away between now and then)

All 3 of us are apprentices, and quite easy going. We don't need 5 star hotels, 16 course meals and a foot massage at every corner, but a happy medium between that and slumming it in a backpackers (could be good for some cultural experience/out of the "comfort zone, but not every night!) would be good.

So if you guys have any tips to throw out, by all means it's welcome!!!

Cheers in advance,
    Mal

Daily
    Jetta TDI Graphite
    Name
    Ben

Mal, I can't help specifically with the accommodation advice, but seeing as you're looking tostay two weeks, can you find a reputable, reliable booking site or agent (like a real estate agent for holiday rentals) to rent a villa for 14 nights?

Getting your own place so that you can make brekky the next day after a night on the tiles. Some space and prvacy so that you can all pick up without embarassment, plus possibly having less hassle and risk (maybe) of getting robbed (which happened to me in a hotel room in Barcelona).

If you could find the Ibiza version of the stayz.com.au (works like the US VRBO.com website - where you arrange a rental directly with the property's owner!).

(We've used stayz.com.au for Hammo and VRBO.com for the Big Island, Hawaii and loved both. Same latitude from the equator, as you may already know.)
    Jetta TDI blue graphite | leather | factory tint | dsg | [pics] | Enkei Racing NT03+M 18x8 ET35 | GTI braking & swaybar | Koni FSD | Neuspeed sport springs | in.pro mirror caps | RNS2 | Modshack (tbf) |
    Wine drives / tourism and tasting blog-news-forum www.winedriving.com for great drives plus some good wine dives.

Daily
    NA8C
    2nd Car
    BNR34

most backpacker hostels are pretty decent from exp. When I went travelling on my own I was on a budget myself so I stayed at the hostels and surprisingly, the ones I went to were really good.

i used tripadvisor.com to check out reviews other pple made about the hostels I was interested in before I booked. It proved to be pretty useful.

It's easy to wing it IMO, esp in Europe because I was in London one time and on a whim decided to go to Paris via eurostar. Booked that night, was on the eurostar the very next morning, and went to a local internet cafe in Paris and looked for a hostel down there. Just check availability and try to get accomo that is sort of away from where the main action is becuase those ones tend to be nicer and cheaper. you can always get to where u want to go via subway/trains/buses/taxis anyway and most hostels aren't TOO far away from the main attractions anyway (e.g its like hostels in bondi, which is probably overpriced and shit for the price you pay)

2 weeks, you should be fine but as a precaution, I'd take travel insurance. I went with columbus travel insurance as they were the cheapest and gave me adequate cover. Other places were more expensive and gave me extra cover for things like luggage not arriving at airport etc, but i just took my chance. For the 1 year I was away, not once was my luggage lost. Lol. I dont think ibiza/spain is classed as a high risk country so the price shouldnt be expensive. You can apply online as well. Google Columbus Travel Insurance. I think they're under Allianz.

I took out a credit card JUST for the sake of travel and when I got home, I cancelled it. This minimises the chances for any potential fraud in the future. I wasnt going to take my card I use all the time here because if someone skimmed the card whilst overseas, I;d be pretty pissed. So what I did was I just took out a credit card to use whilst overseas, then I cancelled it when I got back. During my travels, I always had my laptop sO i could securely log onto my Netbank and transfer money to my overseas credit card when it reached the limit.

Before you leave for your trip, it'd good to have some cash on you. Try and change AUD at a bank instead of those forex places like travelex etc because rates are a tad lower than banks. And try not to change money at the airport because the rates suck. Banks tend to give better rates than those foreign exchange places but since the aussie dollar is so strong now, it prob doesnt really matter all that much but still, u'd want the most from your money

Photocopy your passport and keep it in a safe place in your luggage bag somewhere in the event you ever lose your passport. Using that, you can prob go to the Australian embassy and get another passport made out and sent over to u. Fortnuately ive never had to visit the embassy over a lost passport but it's just a matter of being prudent I guess...

When I was 21 I went travelling with a bunch of mates for 3 months then I branched out on my own for another year. Because we were all pretty young then too, we went out a lot to different clubs, etc etc. Hell, we were at the full moon party in THailand and got absolutely wasted. However, after a while I sorta got bored of finding myself waking up in a pool of sick and we pretty much went out every night for about a week and a half....after that....not so much. As much fun it is to get wasted, take it from me and try and experience what the country has to offer. Get a Lonely Planet guide book or something or search up on wikipedia some of the places which are famous to that area. Experience the culture. Have your fun but just dont get smashed every night or else you'll regret it. Trust me.

If you can and if you're taking a laptop or something, keep a journal or a diary and try and at the end of each day, try and write what you did. I did this for a whole year as I kept my laptop with me for most of the trip and I can type faster than I can write. Looking back and reading what you got up to, it preserves awesome memories you have with your mates. Thats what I found anyway.

Go to your doctor and see if you need to take any shots before you leave.

Above all, have FUN!

Any other questions ur welcome to PM me
    Last edited by stephen8512; 21-11-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added more info
    Previous : MY05 CL9 Honda Accord Euro Luxury (Graphite) : (06/11/2004 - 19/02/2008)
    Previous : MY08 MK5 Volkswagen Jetta TFSI DSG (Reflex Silver) : (13/04/2008 - 28/06/2010)
    Previous : MY97 MK3 Volkswagen Vento VR6 (Porcelain Blue) : (01/08/2015 - 12/12/2015)
    Previous : MY11 MK6 Volkswagen Golf R DSG (Candy White) : (01/12/2010 - 11/06/2016)
    Current : MY96 NA8C Mazda MX-5 (British Racing Green) : (12/12/2015)
    Current : MY02 BNR34 Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec II (Bayside Blue) : (05/06/2016)

Banned
    Daily
    R36 Sedan
    Name
    Nathan

hehe nice stephen, did a similar thing and had my 20th and 21st birthday backpacking

As with Stephen's advice its pretty easy to wing it in Europe, even when you are broke I found it pretty easy to find a job at a hostel for accomodation and food till I got some more cash. Did the party thing as well from South Africa with friends and then onto europe for almost 2 years by myself, had a ball and recommend it, just go with the flow and dont lock too much in, that way you can find yourself in some pretty cool places you wouldn't have thought of....

Daily
    NA8C
    2nd Car
    BNR34

Quote Originally Posted by nath_mk6 View Post
    hehe nice stephen, did a similar thing and had my 20th and 21st birthday backpacking

As with Stephen's advice its pretty easy to wing it in Europe, even when you are broke I found it pretty easy to find a job at a hostel for accomodation and food till I got some more cash. Did the party thing as well from South Africa with friends and then onto europe for almost 2 years by myself, had a ball and recommend it, just go with the flow and dont lock too much in, that way you can find yourself in some pretty cool places you wouldn't have thought of....
    hahaha i can only imagine what sort of stuff u got up to! haha!!

agreed. GO with the flow. 2 weeks is heaps of time to see. Try and wake up early too to make the most of the day
    Previous : MY05 CL9 Honda Accord Euro Luxury (Graphite) : (06/11/2004 - 19/02/2008)
    Previous : MY08 MK5 Volkswagen Jetta TFSI DSG (Reflex Silver) : (13/04/2008 - 28/06/2010)
    Previous : MY97 MK3 Volkswagen Vento VR6 (Porcelain Blue) : (01/08/2015 - 12/12/2015)
    Previous : MY11 MK6 Volkswagen Golf R DSG (Candy White) : (01/12/2010 - 11/06/2016)
    Current : MY96 NA8C Mazda MX-5 (British Racing Green) : (12/12/2015)
    Current : MY02 BNR34 Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec II (Bayside Blue) : (05/06/2016)

Daily
    2nd Car
    Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Bizi View Post
    Mal, I can't help specifically with the accommodation advice, but seeing as you're looking tostay two weeks, can you find a reputable, reliable booking site or agent (like a real estate agent for holiday rentals) to rent a villa for 14 nights?

Getting your own place so that you can make brekky the next day after a night on the tiles. Some space and prvacy so that you can all pick up without embarassment, plus possibly having less hassle and risk (maybe) of getting robbed (which happened to me in a hotel room in Barcelona).

If you could find the Ibiza version of the stayz.com.au (works like the US VRBO.com website - where you arrange a rental directly with the property's owner!).

(We've used stayz.com.au for Hammo and VRBO.com for the Big Island, Hawaii and loved both. Same latitude from the equator, as you may already know.)
    Thanks for the reply Ben.
    Maybe Villa/Apartment will be a good idea. A solid "home base".

Daily
    2nd Car
    Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by stephen8512 View Post
    most backpacker hostels are pretty decent from exp. When I went travelling on my own I was on a budget myself so I stayed at the hostels and surprisingly, the ones I went to were really good.

i used tripadvisor.com to check out reviews other pple made about the hostels I was interested in before I booked. It proved to be pretty useful.

It's easy to wing it IMO, esp in Europe because I was in London one time and on a whim decided to go to Paris via eurostar. Booked that night, was on the eurostar the very next morning, and went to a local internet cafe in Paris and looked for a hostel down there. Just check availability and try to get accomo that is sort of away from where the main action is becuase those ones tend to be nicer and cheaper. you can always get to where u want to go via subway/trains/buses/taxis anyway and most hostels aren't TOO far away from the main attractions anyway (e.g its like hostels in bondi, which is probably overpriced and shit for the price you pay)

2 weeks, you should be fine but as a precaution, I'd take travel insurance. I went with columbus travel insurance as they were the cheapest and gave me adequate cover. Other places were more expensive and gave me extra cover for things like luggage not arriving at airport etc, but i just took my chance. For the 1 year I was away, not once was my luggage lost. Lol. I dont think ibiza/spain is classed as a high risk country so the price shouldnt be expensive. You can apply online as well. Google Columbus Travel Insurance. I think they're under Allianz.

I took out a credit card JUST for the sake of travel and when I got home, I cancelled it. This minimises the chances for any potential fraud in the future. I wasnt going to take my card I use all the time here because if someone skimmed the card whilst overseas, I;d be pretty pissed. So what I did was I just took out a credit card to use whilst overseas, then I cancelled it when I got back. During my travels, I always had my laptop sO i could securely log onto my Netbank and transfer money to my overseas credit card when it reached the limit.

Before you leave for your trip, it'd good to have some cash on you. Try and change AUD at a bank instead of those forex places like travelex etc because rates are a tad lower than banks. And try not to change money at the airport because the rates suck. Banks tend to give better rates than those foreign exchange places but since the aussie dollar is so strong now, it prob doesnt really matter all that much but still, u'd want the most from your money

Photocopy your passport and keep it in a safe place in your luggage bag somewhere in the event you ever lose your passport. Using that, you can prob go to the Australian embassy and get another passport made out and sent over to u. Fortnuately ive never had to visit the embassy over a lost passport but it's just a matter of being prudent I guess...

When I was 21 I went travelling with a bunch of mates for 3 months then I branched out on my own for another year. Because we were all pretty young then too, we went out a lot to different clubs, etc etc. Hell, we were at the full moon party in THailand and got absolutely wasted. However, after a while I sorta got bored of finding myself waking up in a pool of sick and we pretty much went out every night for about a week and a half....after that....not so much. As much fun it is to get wasted, take it from me and try and experience what the country has to offer. Get a Lonely Planet guide book or something or search up on wikipedia some of the places which are famous to that area. Experience the culture. Have your fun but just dont get smashed every night or else you'll regret it. Trust me.

If you can and if you're taking a laptop or something, keep a journal or a diary and try and at the end of each day, try and write what you did. I did this for a whole year as I kept my laptop with me for most of the trip and I can type faster than I can write. Looking back and reading what you got up to, it preserves awesome memories you have with your mates. Thats what I found anyway.

Above all, have FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen8512 View Post

Above all, have FUN!

WOW!

I went over to Europe (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Germany, France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, LA) end of '06 with the family for a month, and I have to say, for price/facilities/culture of using hostels (when it suited) it was good when "just passing through", but that was stay maybe one or 2 nights and then drive to the next location, not an extended stay in one area. Maybe we can break it up and experience it all.

Have been on "Smart Traveller" looking at the health alerts, no go zones, copies of passports, tips in other countries, shots to get etc Seems to be a pretty safe area to go to (no hostility), but you never know (London/Madrid atacks?)

Will work out the finer points of type of cashmoney beiong carried closer to the time, but thanks for the ideas.

Honestly, I don't know of too many other 20 (nearly 21) year olds who don't have the need to get fucking plastered every weekend. I'll be on it this weekend with work christmas party and a festival, but honestly can't remember the last time I was drunk, maybe 6 months ago? When I do I'm back yup at 7 in the morning anyway, just routine from my job I suppose...not going to let hours waste away sleeping!

Will take the laptop and record the trip for sure, camera as well...the Ibiza sunset, Balearic Sea, should be beautiful as!

Will definitrely be meeting with a travel agent and trying to get better organised/package a bit....but getting a bit better informed beforehand

Thankyou for the awesome info/advice Stephen!

Daily
    2nd Car
    Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by nath_mk6 View Post

We are pretty easy going blokes most of the time, wont be much being locked in too early, thanks Nath

Daily
    B7 RS4 & MKIV R32
    2nd Car
    Passat R36

Enjoy the travels Mal and stay street smart, ALWAYS, no matter where you visit.

Daily
    None
    2nd Car
    None
    Name
    Avoridy

Traveling is fun. You will explore different places, from different countries around the world. You will see tourist spots and attractions. Paul Bunyan figures conspicuously as we continue this look at goofy tourist stops on the country's highways. A plethora of giant fiberglass men, hocking all manners of ware across the country, were all made from molds intended for the lumberjack of stories. Do you need somewhere that we buy cars?

+ Reply to Thread