Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear doors stuck MK5 golf

Daily
    Golf mk5
    2nd Car
    Golf mk5
    Name
    Big Merv

Rear doors stuck MK5 golf

Hi,

Currently operating a 2006 MK5 VW Golf 2.0 tdi. At first the left rear door stopped working (could not open from the inside or outside), a few months later the same thing happened to the right rear door. Was notified about this at my last service and they said that it would take a couple of hours to figure out what the problem is and to prop open the door, so basically told them to not bother as I feel it would have been extremely expensive.Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and by any chance has any possible fix to this problem?

Thanks,
    Marto

Daily
    Driftspec GTI
    2nd Car
    Rallyspec R
    Name
    Trackspec 32

try checking the wiring loom to the door perhaps- if they get used alot it may have fatigued the wires and broke them- otherwise the issue is completely unrelated. especially if they both stopped working at the same time.

Daily
    Mk5 gti
    2nd Car
    Honda accord
    Name
    Mark Stevenson

Same thing happened to me recently on rear door. you will need to replace the door latch assembly but to do this you need to get the door opened first. There are many posted methods on how to do this if you search the forums. a new door lock assembly will be around the $260-$300 mark from the stealers or $50 from ebay out of china if you want to take the risk. Takes about 1 hour to install the new lock.

Daily
    Golf mk5
    2nd Car
    Golf mk5
    Name
    Big Merv

Hi 1GTI, thanks for that and sorry for the late reply. Do you think it still would be a problem with the latch assembly even if the window is not working at all either? Also I am really struggling to find a way to get the door open - all the tutorials which talk about unlocking from the keyfob etc whilst pulling the handle and hitting the handle have no worked at all for me.

Daily
    Golf mk5
    2nd Car
    Golf mk5
    Name
    Big Merv

Quote Originally Posted by GolfGuru View Post
    Angle grinder should do the trick. Battery powered unit will be fine.

Regards,
    Golf Guru
    I am looking for a fix, not looking to scrap my daily!!

Daily
    '07 Mk5 GTI

Weird. Check if the physical steel cable that attaches to the clasp is attached to the handles properly. Otherwise it's probably not opening becuase its not unlocking? So its permanately locked. In which case check out the locking mechanisms to see if its unlocking.

This might be hard if you cant open the door.... LOL

Daily
    GTI MkV my08

Sounds like wiring harness.

If you cant activate the locking mechanism and the windows mechanism its pointing towards an electrical issue rather than mechanical.
    The wires used in the MKV during its production run are horrible, after 10 years plus usage and our lovely summers, the insulation gets hard and brittle.
    Am currently having a similar issue with the rear hatch power harness.
    GTI MKV, 3 pedals , black, leather, K04 APR tune , APR RSC tbe, BSH CAI, Bilsteins sports shocks, H&R sports springs, wavetrack LSD, H&R sway bars, and painted that stupid looking matt black plastic bumbers and side skirts to match the paint of the car

Daily
    Saab 9-3 convertible
    2nd Car
    1974 VW kombi
    Name
    Bernie

Trouble is the most likely spot for failure would be in the section that flexís between the door and body which may not be accessible with the door closed

I donít have a golf handy to check ( my daughter took hers back one yesterday ) but I would try opening the front door and see if you can see the wires going into the body from the rear door and try giving them a jiggle while hitting the unlock button.

+ Reply to Thread