Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manual vs DSG - any regrets?

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMan View Post
    The vagueness and limp nature of the manual shifter on the Mk7 R, although greatly improved over the Mk6 R does leave a lot to be desired especially coming from an high powered Rex.
    What Rex were you coming from Rob? As mentioned - I previously had a 2005 STi so was expecting something as good if not better than the STi's gearbox.
    From what I've seen/read in reviews - the manual gearbox in the MK7 is quite highly rated though. Maybe because as you've mentioned it's greatly improved from the MK6 R. Maybe my expectations were too high?

I spent a few months questioning weather I made the right decision until I decided to purchase a Dieselgeek sigma6 short shifter and a Raceseng weighted shift knob.
    Now you can't wipe the smile off my face.....!

I have included the link to both products mentioned and wound be happy to install them both for you free of charge if you chose to follow this path....

Manual drivers are becoming a rare bread these days. I intend on shifting gears until my body no longer allows me to do so......
    Thanks very much for the offer there Rob - much appreciated. I still have my DSG on order for the time being but will let you know if I do decide to switch paths. If so - would definitely look further into the short shifter and the shift knob you've recommended. Great to hear those mods have made your experience with the MK7 R gearbox a much more enjoyable one!

Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    It's whatever makes you happy Clay. I'm sure that you wont be disappointed either way!!
    Very true - I'm sure either one will bring a wide smile to my face. As mentioned - buying an automatic is just such a foreign concept to me but the DSG does have a better fit to my needs as well as in my opinion a better match with the motor in the R. Just hoping I won't miss the clutch action and gear shifting so much!

Daily
    MkVII .:R-line wagon
    2nd Car
    Nissan Stagea C34s1
    Name
    Nick

I still own the manual car I "replaced" as my daily when I bought the Golf, and to be honest, it's barely left the garage in months. I still love driving it on occasion, but everything just works so well straight off in the Golf that it makes driving a pleasure while using a hell of a lot less fuel. My mum bought a Mk 7 in May 2013 (under heavy influence from myself), and we didn't even test drive one beforehand! We've had no regrets at all, and I loved driving it so much that when the wagon was released (and with the option of the R-Line package, as well), I decided to buy one for myself. The paddle shifters, progressive steering, body kit and wheels, amongst other features with the R-Line package, sealed the deal!

My only regret is that I would have loved for it to be a Golf R wagon, but at the time of purchase there was nothing confirming that one would be going into production, and if it would even come onto the Australian market. It would also have taken a fair bit more saving up for me to be able to afford it.

Daily
    NA8C
    2nd Car
    BNR34

I somewhat regret getting DSG on my Golf R...if I could do it all again, I'd probably pick manual and get a shortshifter like what SoulMan has done.

Don't get me wrong, DSG is great. Fantastic as a daily especially during traffic and it is faster than the manual and easily the best auto box transmission for the price you pay, but that said, I still believe the manual will be more fun and more engaging to drive when going for some spirited runs. Paddles in the DSG don't really cut the mustard personally and unless you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic every single day and its a proper daily, then owning a manual may get tiring, but I'd probably still get one anyway.

Shifter feel from factory will always feel very a tad long or a tad sloppy. The only shifter I've driven which seemed perfect from the factory is the S2000 which is renowned for its steering and shifter feel. But again, nothing a short shifter can't fix.
    Previous : MY05 CL9 Honda Accord Euro Luxury (Graphite) : (06/11/2004 - 19/02/2008)
    Previous : MY08 MK5 Volkswagen Jetta TFSI DSG (Reflex Silver) : (13/04/2008 - 28/06/2010)
    Previous : MY97 MK3 Volkswagen Vento VR6 (Porcelain Blue) : (01/08/2015 - 12/12/2015)
    Previous : MY11 MK6 Volkswagen Golf R DSG (Candy White) : (01/12/2010 - 11/06/2016)
    Current : MY96 NA8C Mazda MX-5 (British Racing Green) : (12/12/2015)
    Current : MY02 BNR34 Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec II (Bayside Blue) : (05/06/2016)

Daily
    86GTS & Golf 6 R
    2nd Car
    MINI Clubman S
    Name
    Nat

manual and dsg are overrated. should spend up for a Xtrac gearbox conversion, built tough 😋

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Daily
    Navara D40
    Name
    Ky

Quote Originally Posted by dev17a View Post
    manual and dsg are overrated. should spend up for a Xtrac gearbox conversion, built tough ��

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    putting X-trac in a Golf R is like using an Elephant gun to kill a rabbit

Daily
    2011 Golf R
    Name
    Nath

dsg with a 3" down pipe during hard driving gear change. nothing beats that sound.

Daily
    MY15 Golf R
    Name
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by clay05 View Post
    What Rex were you coming from Rob? As mentioned - I previously had a 2005 STi so was expecting something as good if not better than the STi's gearbox.
    From what I've seen/read in reviews - the manual gearbox in the MK7 is quite highly rated though. Maybe because as you've mentioned it's greatly improved from the MK6 R. Maybe my expectations were too high?

Thanks very much for the offer there Rob - much appreciated. I still have my DSG on order for the time being but will let you know if I do decide to switch paths. If so - would definitely look further into the short shifter and the shift knob you've recommended. Great to hear those mods have made your experience with the MK7 R gearbox a much more enjoyable one!
    I came from a 2006 WRX with headers, intake, full turbo back and a VF34 turbo upgrade amongst a host of other mods....

It was my first forced induction car and I have been hooked ever since.

Japanese boxes are very unique, there is a real engagement to their linkage systems, from a high powered Rex to a three door Toyota Sarlet they all please me. Saying this I can understand how some people could see this as unrefined, especially in the European market....

Whatever your final decision is I'm sure you'll be very happy.

Japanese boxes are very unique, there is a real engagement to their linkage systems, from a high powered Rex to a three door Toyota Sarlet they all please me. Saying this I can understand how some people could see this as unrefined, especially in the European market....
    Haven't spent too much time with the manual gearboxes of european cars - but the S2000 and Integra DC2R gearboxes were two of the most impressive ones I've used.

Daily
    2017 Focus RS
    2nd Car
    17 Honda HRV (wifey)
    Name
    Mark

Having driven a manual for 30 years I still occasionally reach for the clutch pedal out of instinct. I tested both the manual and DSG prior to purchasing my MK7 R and found (the wife found) the DSG to be a little more suited to our needs considering the wife occasionally wants to have a steer.

I do miss not have three pedals though as I always found it more engaging driving a manual car.

Next time around wifey won't be invited to the test drive.
    2017 Magnetic Grey Focus RS
    Tune+ Stage 1
    Eibach springs
    ST suspensions 12.5mm spacers
    Maxton Design front lip
    Maxton Design spoiler lip

Pure White MK 7 DSG Golf R. (Sold but not forgotten)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I started racing go-karts. And I love karts. It's the most breathtaking sport in the world. More than F1, indeed, I used to like it most.”

Ayrton Senna

+ Reply to Thread