Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rock Chip Repair - Touch Up Paint or Rock Chip/Scratch Repair Kits?

Daily
    Mkv jetta 125tdi

Rock Chip Repair - Touch Up Paint or Rock Chip/Scratch Repair Kits?

Hi,

Just noticed that there's a few rock chips on my bonnet that i want to repair, where is best to buy some touch up paint?

I've also heard of some touch up systems that you can buy to help repair some of these easily, which has an applicator and a wipe off system to get rid of excess but how do they work and are they any good?

Any particular brands i should look for?

I was recommended a kit by Dr Color Chip, has anybody had experience with this?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Daily
    MY13 Golf R
    2nd Car
    Rav 4
    Name
    Ken

I'm on the same boat...
    Will keep an eye on this tread

Same here I'll watch with interest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daily
    Mk5 Golf GTI Manual
    2nd Car
    Honda Accord Euro
    Name
    Steven

Have ordered a few of the Dr Colour Chip kits. Will report back after I've had a chance to use them.

Daily
    Mk5 Golf GTI Manual
    2nd Car
    Honda Accord Euro
    Name
    Steven

Tried out my Dr Colour Chip kit today on the tornado red Mk5 GTI.

Not really all that impressed. No better than conventional touch up paint applied with a small brush, in my opinion. In fact, maybe worse. I watched numerous videos and followed instructions to the letter, but found that each time I used the cutting fluid to remove paint smeared around the stone chip it removed most of the paint from the chip, irrespective of how softly I polished. I ended up doing multiple layers on each chip and the results were pretty ordinary - and certainly no better than conventional touch up. You can still see clearly where the chip is, but it is now a red hole as opposed to white undercoat.

The touch up paint around the chip is quite difficult to remove - I ended up scraping all that I could off with my finger nail before using the supplied cloth and cutting fluid. I tried varying drying times from a few minutes down to 10 seconds or so (as shown in the video in their website). I am too scared to leave the dollop of touch up to dry "5 to 10 minutes" as recommended in one video, as I fear the surrounding over spill will be impossible to remove.

I have two very fine scratches on my rear bumper that the kit did not work on - at all. I applied numerous layers but each time the touch up paint came away completely when polished. So I still have two fine white scratches.

I will experiment some more with drying times etc, and might contact the Aus distributor to see what he has to say. But at this stage I would not recommend the product.

I guess in this case the old adage applies - if something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

+ Reply to Thread