Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf R Intakes

Golf R Intakes

Evening All,

Trying to research up on what to attach to my Golf R when it arrives later this month. Being completely new to turbo cars, I'm having a difficult time deciding on an intake.
    From what I've read, the top two 'closed' style intakes are the VWR600 and the Forge. The only real benefit I can see these having over the stock intake is that they draw from both sides of the air inlet, as opposed to just the driver's side.

I've also read multiple threads on people modifying this inlet to draw from both sides. See below if you're not sure what I'm talking about.

Are there any benefits I'm missing? Having a hard time justifying the $1000~ price tag on these intakes.

Should I just go for a CTS intake, for around half the price?

Daily
    Mk5 Pirelli
    2nd Car
    Mk7 TSI
    Name
    Alex

Golf R Intakes

Closed dual zone draw-in intakes such as the R600 and new Forge will perform better than open intakes.

They will however not be as loud or good looking and are more expensive.

Difference will be marginal though.

JB1 users found they could push more boost safely with closed vs open.

770$ delivered from uspmotorsports for the r600

Daily
    MY16 Golf R

Intakes are really mainly cosmetic on the MK7 R. If you look around at the real world dyno results, you'll see the popular intakes (APR, VWR600 etc) making maybe 8 - 10HP peak gain around 6000RPM with no more than 3 - 4HP gain throughout the rev range. For actual driving, it's the area under the curve that actually matters, not a single peak gain at 6000RPM. For the price - the return is a bit of a joke in my opinion.

However, many people that have bought them love them and say it makes the car feel easier revving and faster to spool, however that "feel" is difficult to reflect in dyno curves.

If you want to save some money, there are people over on the golfmk7 forums who have modded their stock airbox (which by the way is great), to open up both sides of the intake pipe that runs along the top of the radiator and also cut new slots into the fan shroud to feed it cold air. At $0, you've got nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by cbwolf View Post
    Intakes are really mainly cosmetic on the MK7 R. If you look around at the real world dyno results, you'll see the popular intakes (APR, VWR600 etc) making maybe 8 - 10HP peak gain around 6000RPM with no more than 3 - 4HP gain throughout the rev range. For actual driving, it's the area under the curve that actually matters, not a single peak gain at 6000RPM. For the price - the return is a bit of a joke in my opinion.

However, many people that have bought them love them and say it makes the car feel easier revving and faster to spool, however that "feel" is difficult to reflect in dyno curves.

If you want to save some money, there are people over on the golfmk7 forums who have modded their stock airbox (which by the way is great), to open up both sides of the intake pipe that runs along the top of the radiator and also cut new slots into the fan shroud to feed it cold air. At $0, you've got nothing to lose.
    I'd probably do this if I could bear cutting into a brand new car!

Knowing all of the above, I'm more inclined to weigh sound and looks above performance when choosing an intake.
    Are you able to offer any guidance on how a CTS would perform vs a modified stock intake on a JB1 running Map 1? I think the CTS looks and sounds pretty good, but I wouldn't pay money for one if it turned out to be a loss in performance..

Daily
    MY16 Mk7 Golf R LSG
    2nd Car
    Yamaha: Sold

Chiming in here as I am 'interested' in commencing work; MY MY16 R has just rolled past 1500k's

Has anyone had any experience with this unit:

Injen Evolution Air Intake - VW MK7 GTI, Golf, Golf R, Audi A3/S3

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volksw...udi-A3-S3.html

$451 US Delivered

Cheers,

I think I've read every forum thread out there on MK7 intakes and people commonly refer to the Injen intake as low quality/budget. Nothing first hand though.

Daily
    MY16 Mk7 Golf R LSG
    2nd Car
    Yamaha: Sold

Quote Originally Posted by TIDY View Post
    I think I've read every forum thread out there on MK7 intakes and people commonly refer to the Injen intake as low quality/budget. Nothing first hand though.
    Thanks TIDY

Quote Originally Posted by Geeflukz View Post
    Thanks TIDY
    Disregard! Looks like they've redesigned their intake. Everything I've read was related to the one pictured below..

Had a look around for reviews and found this thread..
    http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showth...t=7453&page=16

Daily
    Golf 7R
    Name
    Andy

Im pretty set on a cts intake when my 7r arrives purely for the extra intake noise. Also cheaper than the r600. Ive been quoted $600 from volkstech in melbourne

+ Reply to Thread