Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Golf R Intakes

Daily
    2017 MK7R
    2nd Car
    2018 MK7.5 GTI O
    Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Gopro1 View Post
    I have a forge intake for sale guys 600$ with a blue hose, used it for 1 week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not happy with it John???

Daily
    2011 VW Golf VI R
    2nd Car
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    Name
    Bill

I don't really see the value in any of the aftermarket full intake systems... not unless you are chasing every single kw possible and bang for your buck isn't a consideration...

I simply removed the front scoop entirely. The way I see it, that scoop heats up significantly and essentially acts as a hot box which heats up any air coming from the outside. It sits directly above the radiator and pretty much rests on a hot pipe!

Next thing I did was open the factory air box, strip out all the baffling, insert a high flow panel filter (I used k&n) and put back together.

Yes, the intake is drawing in hot engine bay air and yes there is a smaller amount of additional heat soak, but only initially and removing the scoop allows for much more air to get into the engine bay once the car is moving to compensate.

I carried out pre and post mod tests using an OBD11 module to record intake air temps. I found that after the mods, standing idle temps increased by a few degrees, however once moving, the temps dropped by ~8 deg Celsius within the first 30 or so seconds. That's 8 below the lowest temp the stock set up ever achieved. The testing was carried out on a dry evening with outside air temp in the mid 20's in Sydney.

There was also an noticble increase in turbo sound which I know we all love. Worth noting that I also disconnected the soundaktor and added a turbo muffler delete. Worth the cost just for the sound.

If you're into drag racing then I can see how this set up may not be ideal. For me, that's not an issue as I prefer going to the circuit.

Total cost ~$100AU. BARGAIN!

Daily
    Grey Wolfie Wagon
    2nd Car
    07 Forester XT Lux

I had a VWR600 put into my mk7gtiPP, then traded it in for a Wolfwagon, so put the intake into the Wolfie and the Wolfie intake into the gti... someone out there's driving around a PP with a R intake... I presume the stock R intakes are slightly different to the stock GTI intakes? I doubt they'd really notice the difference unless driving a stock PP then got into my "old" PP in heat?

Daily
    2016 R Wagon
    2nd Car
    Polo 77TSI
    Name
    Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by BillyO1 View Post
    I carried out pre and post mod tests using an OBD11 module to record intake air temps. I found that after the mods, standing idle temps increased by a few degrees, however once moving, the temps dropped by ~8 deg Celsius within the first 30 or so seconds. That's 8 below the lowest temp the stock set up ever achieved. The testing was carried out on a dry evening with outside air temp in the mid 20's in Sydney.
    Digging up an old thread, but have you done much further testing in hot weather to see if there's any impact?
    2006 MkV 2.0TDI -> 2005 MkV GTI ->2008 MkV R32 -> 2016 Mk7 R Wagon

Daily
    vw golf r 2016
    Name
    john

Quote Originally Posted by DAL344 View Post
    Not happy with it John???
    No mate I have bought an amg merc the forge intake was amazing and sounded great, just no use for it now make an offer? 😁

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread