Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Upgrade

Daily
    MK7 Comfortline Golf
    2nd Car
    MK7 Golf R
    Name
    Daniel

Audio Upgrade

Hi all,

I am looking to beef up the sound system in my golf, I'm thinking an amplifier and a small sub in the boot. Has anyone done any upgrades to their MK7? Is there anyone recommended on the Gold Coast or Brisbane to do these upgrades?

Following.

I'm looking to do similar in Brisbane

Daily
    MY16 Golf R Wagon
    Name
    Kieran

I'm looking at upgrading just the speakers with an amp, but no sub (don't want the kids going deaf in the back). Looking at class A Blaupunkt replacement speakers/tweeters for a crisper, clearer sound, and doesn't cost too much nor can it be seen.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Andrew

You may need a couple of line out converters to convert the existing stock audio systems high level outputs to RCA for connection to an amp (Pac Audio/Audio Control makes these) unless the amp already has high level inputs.

If your budget allows maybe an Audison Bit Ten to give you the ability to dial in the sound quality which will also do the above as well.

The upgrade path would be similar to any Golf Mk6 owners I would think so there should be plenty info on the forums to get info.
    MY12 Golf R, Candy White, 6Spd M, 19" VR.G2, Viezu Tune, Whiteline SB's, Super Pro LCA, KW Coilovers, Scorpion non-res Ex, Turbo XS Dump, HPFP, Volant CAI, OSIR bits' Haldex Comp, Neuspeed Pulley.

Daily
    Mk7 R

Quote Originally Posted by KDG123 View Post
    I'm looking at upgrading just the speakers with an amp, but no sub (don't want the kids going deaf in the back). Looking at class A Blaupunkt replacement speakers/tweeters for a crisper, clearer sound, and doesn't cost too much nor can it be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by VWR View Post
    You may need a couple of line out converters to convert the existing stock audio systems high level outputs to RCA for connection to an amp (Pac Audio/Audio Control makes these) unless the amp already has high level inputs.

If your budget allows maybe an Audison Bit Ten to give you the ability to dial in the sound quality which will also do the above as well.

The upgrade path would be similar to any Golf Mk6 owners I would think so there should be plenty info on the forums to get info.
    Not sure you can dial-in SQ Unless PAC have increased their quality control in the last 5 years since I looked at them, go with an Audio Control unit. Given that 99% of people play some sort of compressed music file, keep it simple (analog).

Quote Originally Posted by KDG123 View Post
    A sub won't make kids go deaf, in fact, tweeters will have a better chance of causing hearing loss dB for dB than subs primarily because the human ear can't detect all sub-bass frequencies whereas the frequency range of most tweeters is smack-bang in the middle of the audible range. If you're a sensible chap, which I assume you are, keep the volume reasonable and enjoy the experience.

Daily
    Oryx Wolfsburg Wagon

Subbed. Want to do the same, though nothing over the top. Would love a small 'hidden' sub that doesn't take up space like the spare wheel well (Mk7s in the US and Europe have this as an option??) or under a front seat.

What is the limiting factor here and would give most bang for buck? Is it the speakers as first priority? I think I read somewhere that the speakers are actually better than they sound and that an amp and better EQ are all that's needed to make them sound much better. I know very little about audio systems so I could have totally misconstrued this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The speakers sound fine to me after a bit of EQ tweaking; just looking for a sub and amp combo. Also looking for something stealthy like RPW.

Daily
    Golf R Wolfsburg
    Name
    Primordial

Interesting thread over on VWVortex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...p-and-easy-way

Would need an amp for this config, but it's a good thought.

Daily
    Mk7 R

Quote Originally Posted by RPW View Post
    Subbed. Want to do the same, though nothing over the top. Would love a small 'hidden' sub that doesn't take up space like the spare wheel well (Mk7s in the US and Europe have this as an option??) or under a front seat.

What is the limiting factor here and would give most bang for buck? Is it the speakers as first priority? I think I read somewhere that the speakers are actually better than they sound and that an amp and better EQ are all that's needed to make them sound much better. I know very little about audio systems so I could have totally misconstrued this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a chain that all starts with the signal; if the signal is clean (incl. using hi-level inputs) then you'll be fine amplifying that signal until it hits the speakers, then it depends on whether the speakers will cope. Changing the speakers is a good idea, but once you move the volume to 50% then the powered signal (unamplified) will start to suffer and so will the quality.

I would avoid a piece-meal approach as you'd just be spending more time (and more money if you weren't doing it yourself). If you're going to the trouble of an external amp then do the speakers at the same time; I never bother with rear door speakers, and usually fade it all to the front anyway so keep them stock. Upgrade the fronts and power them and you'll notice a massive difference. Add a sub and you'll be blown away. The stock EQ is actually quite good from a flex perspective which is all you need in this sort of setup.

Personally, I'd go with upgrading the fronts to a quality split system, a four channel amp and a nice sub - disconnect the rear speakers and bridge 2 channels of the amp to the sub; there's some great shallow mount subs and amps out there now and OEM integration is no longer an afterthought.

Daily
    MY16 Golf R Wagon
    Name
    Kieran

Yesterday I upgraded the front speakers (splits) only, and the improvement in clarity, bass, volume, and lack of distortion is remarkable. I wanted to hear the difference with speaker upgrade first before adding an amp and a sub. I looked at an integrated Nakamichi sub/amp for under the front seat, but it did not fit, and I didn't want something attached to the back of the rear seat (have done that before, but with the family and need to use the space my priorities have changed).

The original speakers are pretty basic looking 20W. I'm no audiophile, but the improvement is so marked I really didn't feel I needed to add the amp or the sub. The original speaker was this:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    and replaced with these:

Had it done by Kim's Car Audio in Canley Vale - really couldn't be happier

+ Reply to Thread