Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Audio Upgrade

Daily
    2010 118TSi

For my 2c I'll just say this. (I used to work in a small auto sound shop in Freo for what it's worth :-) This is the general logic in-house as it were.

80-90 percent of the speakers in these cars are perfect for the job they do - don't touch them at all! Especially the factory splits, etc!

ONLY touch the head unit IF the current head unit doesn't have a facility you want / need (eq, Bluetooth, camera, etc.) Otherwise leave that too!

So, on to the AMP (even if your car doesn't have one!) - This is the crucial bit of kit. If you just want more boom, or loudness - just upgrade to an amp! The type and kind will be determined by what want from it. Costlier amps will usually afford you greater clarity. Cheaper amps will usually just throw a whole bunch of low end for the base (bleaugh!)...

And if you want the boom without the volume - buy a couple of bass engines and pop one under each front seat - magic!

Sound Advice!

Daily
    Golf GTI MK7 2016
    Name
    Michael

Awesome response! Sounds like an amp is the way to go then.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Daily
    Mk7 R

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley6148 View Post
    Costlier amps will usually afford you greater clarity. Cheaper amps will usually just throw a whole bunch of low end for the base (bleaugh!)...
    Really? Watts are watts, an amp will "throw" the same power to a sub as it will a tweeter whether it's cheaper or costly; the only difference is whether or not a filter is applied to the signal being amplified. "Clarity" comes from the strength of the amplified signal, and the general assumption is that more expensive amps are built with better parts e.g. capacitors, etc. so the amplified signal is cleaner/stronger (I'm wary of these subjective terms), have more consistent power outputs, better filters and crossovers, run more efficiently, etc. which can have an affect on what's coming out of your speakers. If you have a clean signal before it hits your amp, then you've got a better chance of getting a clear sound out the other end of your speakers.

A word on bass engines is that they don't emit sound; they are simply a transducer that vibrates with a bass signal to make you feel the bass.

Daily
    R Wolfsburg Estate

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley6148 View Post
    For my 2c I'll just say this. (I used to work in a small auto sound shop in Freo for what it's worth :-) This is the general logic in-house as it were.

80-90 percent of the speakers in these cars are perfect for the job they do - don't touch them at all! Especially the factory splits, etc!

ONLY touch the head unit IF the current head unit doesn't have a facility you want / need (eq, Bluetooth, camera, etc.) Otherwise leave that too!

So, on to the AMP (even if your car doesn't have one!) - This is the crucial bit of kit. If you just want more boom, or loudness - just upgrade to an amp! The type and kind will be determined by what want from it. Costlier amps will usually afford you greater clarity. Cheaper amps will usually just throw a whole bunch of low end for the base (bleaugh!)...

And if you want the boom without the volume - buy a couple of bass engines and pop one under each front seat - magic!
    This is the whole point of the helix upgrade. Use the stock splits, give them a decent amp and filter the low frequency stuff to the sub.

Daily
    VW Golf R
    2nd Car
    VW Scirocco R
    Name
    Sergio

This could go well with a sound upgrade

Daily
    2013 MK7 110TDI
    Name
    Mitchell

I don't know if this has been said yet, but any tweeter should fit in the tweeter mold, however, the factory hole is very restricting - if you want really good sound, you'll need to remove the factory cover

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Daily
    Golf R mk7
    Name
    Andrew

Hi, was deciding to get a OEM upgrade like the Dynaaudio or Helix OR go a totally custom setup?

Anyone around the Sydney Metropolitan who has done the OEM upgrade that i might be able to meet up for a listen?

Thanks in Advance

Daily
    Honda Jazz
    2nd Car
    Scirocco R
    Name
    Shane

i just upgraded and have the dongle for rent also
    2016 Scirocco R

+ Reply to Thread