Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof lining falling

Daily
    Golf GTI mk6
    Name
    Adam

Roof lining falling

Hey folks, anybody got any idea what to do here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daily
    R32 MKV
    Name
    Paul

OK, speaking from experience...

Your headlining is collapsing from age. The fabric is delaminating from the foam backing. As it does this, it shrinks, so there is no way to repair it by attaching it back.

You have two options...

1) Ring VW for a full replacement headliner with backing board (circa $900) and try installing it yourself or get a motor trimmer to do it

2) Go to a motor trimmer to get a retrim. They will strip the fabric from the board, and the foam, and attach new material, but you will run a risk they may not match it properly with the A, B, and C pillars. I had a bad mismatch happen, and they managed to electrically short out my interior lights at the same time. None too pleased. Cost is around $500-600for this option.

Go option 1 and sleep well if not a bit lighter in the wallet.

Daily
    Golf GTI mk6
    Name
    Adam

Cheers mate, I thought this would be the case. Just had a quote via text and a photo for $350 for new lining fitted. When you say mismatch do you mean the colour or fitting issues? I've just spent $2000 on a new timing chain so cheaper the better or just live with it until it gets worse.
    Thanks for your help.

Daily
    R32 MKV
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy.adam.9 View Post
    Cheers mate, I thought this would be the case. Just had a quote via text and a photo for $350 for new lining fitted. When you say mismatch do you mean the colour or fitting issues? I've just spent $2000 on a new timing chain so cheaper the better or just live with it until it gets worse.
    Thanks for your help.

mismatch by them using a "corolla type" material without telling me

Daily
    Golf GTI mk6
    Name
    Adam

Cheers.

Daily
    MY11 Golf R
    2nd Car
    MY16 Polo GTI M
    Name
    Chris

This is very common, was happening a lot with the MK5's i guess because they are older but now we are seeing a lot of MK6's doing this also. Only thing you can do is get it re-trimmed with common prices from $350 to as high as $800. Oh and don't try and fix it yourself with glue or staples as it will just make it worse and harder for the trimmer to fix.
    ║ "The mind is willing but the body is weak - Frazza 2013" ║ Follow me on Instagram

Daily
    R32 MKV
    Name
    Paul

The part from VW is around $980. I bit the bullet and bought one and the trimmer agreed to fit it for free to fix his fuck up. Least he could do.

I agree with Frazza, dont do it yourself, but given my experience with a trimmer, id get the original part.

Daily
    Golf GTI mk6
    Name
    Adam

Thanks guys, just been quoted $480 from a company in Brisbane and they claim they have done many golfs a they have the material to match. Got to run it passed the wife first and might try and live with it for now but I'm very finicky about things and try and keep things perfect.

Daily
    Mk6 Gti
    Name
    Alex

You know what mine is starting to go at the exact same spot! Just aft of the sunnies holder.
    I have had it fail in a previous Toyota, cost about $350 to fix. Job was ok, but colour a bit off.
    Considering the blackness of the GTI interior I want a EXACT match this time. Surley there must be a quality trimmer out there that can match for less than $1000?

Daily
    Commodore VE SV6
    2nd Car
    VW Golf GTI Mk6
    Name
    Hasibul

Same spot for me too... I ll wait for it to get worst and then change the whole roof trim with oem one from vw. Expensive i heard but i guess better than mismatch

+ Reply to Thread