Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the immobilizer the heart of my problem?

Daily
    Mk3 VR6
    Name
    Josh

Is the immobilizer the heart of my problem?

Hi guys,

So I've had this 1996 VW Mk3 Golf VR6 for a few weeks now. I recently drove it to Tafe on a Monday, it drove fine getting there, it also drove fine on our morning break but started misfiring on lunch break/not firing on all cylinders.

I managed to get back into the car park and park it while it was running on a couple of cylinders where I performed some basic diagnostics and the cause of the problem was a cracked coilpack which has now been replaced.

After I plugged back in the ignition leads, the car would not start at all (cutting off after 1 second). Plugging in Vagcom I receive the following error:

2 Faults Found:
    17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
    P1570 - 35-00 -
    01249 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 1 (N30)
    31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
    Readiness: N/A

Ignore the second fault as we had unplugged an injector and that is most likely why that error is there. Obviously this is a immobilizer fault? But how does this suddenly just happen?

I am aware that there are 4 components to starting the car:

1. Key
    2. Key reader
    3. Key Barrel
    4. Immobilizer box

I've read that the key could be faulty or, the key reader, or rarely the immobilizer box it's self. So I purchased those 4 things from a scrapyard, fitted them today, cleared the previous faults, cleaned and tested the earth to the immobilizer box but the car would still get cut off from the immobilizer.

Now I did another scan with Vagcom and pulled the following faults:

2 Faults Found:
    00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30
    07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent
    17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
    P1570 - 35-00 -
    Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 25: Immobilizer Labels: 1H0-953-257.lbl
    Part No: 1H0 953 257 B
    Component: IMMO VWZ3Z0V7369602 V00
    Coding: 09600
    Shop #: WSC 01115
    VCID: 2A5099A0D65D156E0F-4B00

1 Fault Found:
    01177 - Engine Control Unit
    65-10 - Unauthorized - Intermittent

Yes for some reason I have gotten more information from the scan with a new immobilizer, key, key reader etc.

Maybe my old immobilizer was fine but the key or reader was faulty? What is the cause of this cutout?

There is a possibility that the scrapyard gave me back my OLD immobilizer which I gave as an example... So they will be around on Monday to give me that one back as well. So I could have the OLD immobilizer installed at the moment hence why I am getting the exact same fault.

Anyway this is just my weeks research, wondering if any of you guys now of a bypass as well?

Thanks,

Josh

Daily
    Mk3 VR6
    Name
    Josh

Things stick on the interwebs for years so this may be help for some people:

Replace the immobilizer AS WELL as the chip from the key. No need to change the whole key and barrel, just open up the key and you'll see the little black chip, swap that only. Then re-program with VAGCOM/VCDS with the OBD cable. That fixed my issue and will most likely fix any immbolizer issue.

+ Reply to Thread