Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ring customer care for golf r mk7 rattle 1800 607 822

Daily
    Wolfsburg wagon
    2nd Car
    No

Wow ok, sorry but im guessing a tpi is a statement by vw? So at least they are admitting there IS a sound and its from the turbo, more than i was getting from my service tech although im taking it to them in a few weeks. It is laughable its like saying a wheel is operating normally even though the tyres flat, normal operation on a $70000 car shouldn't come with a bloody rattle...anyway plz keep us updated im doubtful a replacement turbo would do much..

Daily
    Mk7 Wolfie Wagon
    2nd Car
    Audi Q3
    Name
    Kenny

I also have this dreaded metal ringing noise. I would assume that replacement of parts with identical versions will achieve nothing. A fix will involve changing something eg downpipe as has been suggested. I'm not particularly keen to replace the DP, even if it fixes the noise, as they can use this to void all related warranty issues.

I've had this issue for ages. Took the car in to the dealer at least 6 months ago and it marked as a TPI "unfavourable air flow over turbo".

Is there an actual solution now?

Actually, for those who have replaced he downpipe with an aftermarket solution, is that all this is require? I.e just the downpipe part, or other parts and tune as well?

Daily
    MK7R

I recently picked up a brand new 2016 MK7R and noticed the faint metallic rattling sound as well. I've emailed the dealership of purchase to see what they have to say.

Has anyone else also noticed in 'Race' mode with manual shifting, the rattle/buzz sound is amplified for a split second when shifting to the next gear?

Daily
    Mazda 3
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I recently picked up a brand new 2016 MK7R and noticed the faint metallic rattling sound as well. I've emailed the dealership of purchase to see what they have to say.

Has anyone else also noticed in 'Race' mode with manual shifting, the rattle/buzz sound is amplified for a split second when shifting to the next gear?
    Yep, mine has a split second rattle when shifting to the next gear aswell. I was told it was caused by the soundaktor. May be a bit loose or something.

Daily
    Golf R Wolfsburg
    Name
    Primordial

The issue I had was caused by the flex joint cage on the downpipe. It was vibrating at around 2600rpm, causing the metallic rattling sound. Here's a video I made which (hopefully) makes it clear (sound required): https://vimeo.com/148324847

It's not the wastegate actuator - that was an issue with the MK6 which has a completely different setup.

Daily
    Golf R Wolfsburg
    Name
    Primordial

Quote Originally Posted by Moogar View Post
    Actually, for those who have replaced he downpipe with an aftermarket solution, is that all this is require? I.e just the downpipe part, or other parts and tune as well?
    Just the downpipe. However you'd probably want to get a tune or a JB1 tuning box - The car may not run very well without a tune. On the plus side you'll get a bucket load more power.

Alternatively if you're super worried about warranty, you could possibly get the flex cage removed from the standard downpipe. It's a big job though - roughly 4 hours of labour due to the fact that the subframe needs to be dropped to get the downpipe out. The flex cage isn't accessible in-situ. For that cost outlay, it's a shame to put the stock downpipe back in.

You can probably join the dots and see why VW isn't admitting there's an issue - 4 hours per vehicle is a substantial cost to fix a minor rattle. They'd rather call it a 'feature'.

Daily
    Mk7 R
    2nd Car
    MTB
    Name
    Andrew

Sold my R, rattle did my head in and there's no way VWA will ever fix it IMO! Just weighing up my next car buy, will probably a powerful TDI AWD of some description with nor rattles....
    Golf R - Wolfsburg Edition - MY16 - Lapiz Blue - Euro Plates

Daily
    MKVII Golf R
    Name
    Joe

Well I just got off the phone to VW and they are suggesting a new TPI has been issued to replace the turbo for the exact same issue.

Going in to speak to the technician lunch time and will hopefully find out more i.e TPI number, turbo revision etc...

+ Reply to Thread