Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk7 R feeling like a front wheel drive

Daily
    2011 VW Golf VI R
    2nd Car
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    Name
    Bill

Mk7 R feeling like a front wheel drive

I've come out of a Mk6 R which had a mild tune, DSG tune, intake and Downpipe. Dyno came up with 170kw at all 4 wheels so pretty much the same a stock MK7.
    Prior to selling I had fairly average Kumho tyres too.

For a month now I've now had a stock Mk7 DSG with Hankook S1 evo2 tyres which seem to rate better than the Kumho's.

The issue!

If I mash the right pedal in 1st, I get significant loss of traction which even carries on into 2nd a little. This is even in eco mode...
    A launch control guided take off resulted in copious amounts of smoke from the front end too.
    I was just having a little fun in the wet and I could barely get traction in 1st. To the point I drifted into the next lane. 2nd was a struggle and even had some spinning in 3rd.

Almost everytime the wheels spin in 1st, I get a heap of axle tramp too.
    Leaving traction control on reduces the tramping occasionally but keeps kicking in because of wheel spin so a loose loose situation.

These issues I never experienced in the 6... Ever! It always just squatted and gripped...

The AWD is definitely working but it just seems more of the power is being transferred to the front making the car feel extremely front wheel biased.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anything to consider?

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Sounds like your rear diff is not engaging - this was a problem with some Mk6 R's and also happened with R32's and R36's. The Haldex pump does not engage.

I had a modified Mk6 R with 211kw at the wheels and even in the wet it would only lightly slip the front wheels a little bit in 1st gear and a chirp into 2nd.

Daily
    2011 VW Golf VI R
    2nd Car
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    Name
    Bill

I actually had an issue with my 6 rear diff as well. It made a whining sound which was replaced under warranty. What are the chances!?

The thing is, the handling in the 7 is definitely superior. I've taken it for a few spirited runs through Old Pac and the cornering is incredible. I feel the back end coming around which must mean the diff is working...

Banned

my golf R can easy drift

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by BillyO1 View Post
    I actually had an issue with my 6 rear diff as well. It made a whining sound which was replaced under warranty. What are the chances!?

The thing is, the handling in the 7 is definitely superior. I've taken it for a few spirited runs through Old Pac and the cornering is incredible. I feel the back end coming around which must mean the diff is working...
    Actual issues with the rear diff (on Mk6 R) are quite rare, but I've heard of a few people who have had to have it replaced.

The Mk7 chassis is better, tighter and lighter than the Mk6 which will all contribute to the better handling you are describing - don't forget that the Mk6 chassis was carried over from the Mk5 so its was a good 10yrs old.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Also i should mention that a guy i work with has a stage 2 Mk7 R with 230kw at the wheels and I've driven that a handful of times - no wheel spin at all in the dry (i haven't driven it in the wet).

Daily
    Golf R Wolfsburg
    Name
    Primordial

Yeah my MK7 R is stage 2+. The only time I get slip in mine is when accelerating very hard from a stop and cornering hard at the same time. Even then it's only a chirp before the rear wheels engage.

Definitely sounds like your diff is not engaging if you're getting that much slip.

Yup your rear diff is gone for sure.

I've been revving in wet from first gear (even with launch control) and every time I get perfect grip with no axle tramp.

You sure your car isn't a GTI ? :P

Daily
    2011 VW Golf VI R
    2nd Car
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    Name
    Bill

Thanks peeps.

Good to know. I didn't know that the 6 was that old a chassis and didn't think it would be much different in the 7.

What shit luck! I had the diff replaced under warranty on my 6 as well and that was just a noise issue. What are we chances of 2/2 cars having diff issues!
    Especially the way I drive them..

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

^ its prob not the actual diff - most likely just the hydraulic pump for the Haldex which engages the rear diff when needed.

+ Reply to Thread