Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subframe clunking

Daily
    None
    2nd Car
    Volvo XC70
    Name
    Angus

Subframe clunking

Hi All,

Golf Mk V GTI with some clunking that has started to occur when going over speed bumps etc. It isnt happening every time but seemingly quite regularly. On research it sounds very similar to the descriptions provided on the subframe posts on this forum.

Rang the mechanic (Volkstech - they are great IMO) and they are happy to take it for a test drive to make sure the prognosis is correct...

anyway point of the post is - the clunking has now stopped! it has been 3 days of driving without any clunks and previously it was happening pretty regularly - every second speed bump or so for at least the last few weeks.

Any ideas guys?

Help needed!!

Daily
    Mk5 MY09 Pirelli GTi
    Name
    Daniel

Wouldnt stress. Mine will do it every now and then - has been doing so for about 10-15,000kms now. Ive noticed it really only happens AFTER i really turn into a steep driveway - in that my suspension will be forced to really compress and or decompress as one wheel tucks up into the guard and the other lifts off the ground. Not sure how much preload is wound into the Pirelli front suspension. It does go away after a few good clunks. Tight, low soeed turning (carpark), and speedhumps tend to cause the clunking.

I just put it down to the spring settlig back in - which makes sense...

How long has it been doing it for you? Are you required to turn into any steep driveways on a regular basis?

Dan.

Daily
    None
    2nd Car
    Volvo XC70
    Name
    Angus

ok thanks Dan.

it has me totally flummoxed! it is now happening so intermittently I have no idea what it could be!

Like i said it was happening every speed bump - now probably 1 in every 20!

re your questions, no i don't have a steep driveway or anything like that. I did notice that it came back with some regularity the other day when i was driving at speed (on a freeway) and the small oscillations in the road would cause it every so often. On the way home from that drive it happened on pretty much every speed bump again....but then the next day when i drive it... not at all!

will try the mechanic i guess

Daily
    Mk5 MY09 Pirelli GTi
    Name
    Daniel

Yeah get their opinion. I'm aware there is an issue with the oem fasteners, and upgrading them to Audi??? fasteners fixes the subframe clunking.. if it's the subframe..

Best of luck!

Daily
    S3 Sedan
    2nd Car
    Audi TT
    Name
    Lee

assuming it's the oft reported subframe bolts 'loose', here's a common fix:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...ame/ES3137457/
    S3/Audi TT

Daily
    None
    2nd Car
    Volvo XC70
    Name
    Angus

The clunking is a lot more consistent now. Happens on pretty much every speed bump and road oscillations when driving at speed. Will book it in for a service but thought I'd check in as there seems to be some progress on this issue? Is there a service bulletin someone can point me to?

Cheers

Daily
    audi s3
    Name
    little baby jesus

I get the same on slow speed pot holes and speed bumps. appears to be getting worse so I might get it checked out. I have the subframe deadset kit but also have solid shock mounts and coilovers which probably doesn't help...

Name
    GK

Check your steering rack as well.

Daily
    None
    2nd Car
    Volvo XC70
    Name
    Angus

ok

so cant get into the mechanic until the 17th...hopefully i get to the bottom of it then...BUT...the other day i noticed the tyres looked a little on the soft side so i pumped them up to a better pressure (they actually didnt need too much but were under recommended)...anyway since then no clunking! like nada, none, nilche!

i am going mad! i know it is still there but it has stopped! I will let the mechanic know about this because i am now worried it won't come up in their road test but does this provide any further clues to you informed folk out there?
    Need help!!!

Daily
    None
    2nd Car
    Volvo XC70
    Name
    Angus

Ok they did a full test and there are no loose bolts anywhere - subframe, struts etc. what they can see is that both shock absorbers are leaking - the left is worse than the right but interestingly the noise seemingly comes from the right.
    They think the replacement shockers and bearings etc should fix the problem albeit they couldn't get the noise to replicate in their road test.
    New shockers, mounts and bearings etc costed at 350 - 400 per side. Should I do it? What is the danger / risk if any of driving with leaking shock absorbers? Or is it just a performance / ride handling thug?

+ Reply to Thread