Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Propellerhead92's Mk6 R

Daily
    Cityrail
    2nd Car
    Mk6 R
    Name
    Rens

So I guess it's time for a bit of an update.

So I guess it's time for a bit of an update.

Since I last posted I've had the Enkei GTC01RRs fitted, along with fresh Bridgestone Potenza RE003s in 235/40/18. Really happy with the decision to fit these. The roads in Sydney are absolutely horrid and I ended up slightly buckling one of the stock Talladegas. I've got a pothole one rainy night coming back from the gym to thank for that. Besides looking the busineee, with the GTC01RRs and the fatter rubber, I much prefer the car's ability to deal with less than stellar roads now.

I also had a two stage paint correction done by my buddy JJ from Affinesse detailing, along with Opti-Coat Pro+ paint protection applied to the car and the new wheels. I couldn't be happier with the results of JJ's work, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone. The transformation the car got was nothing short of spectacular. Here are some pictures of the car and the process.

I'm waiting on some 'R' centre caps similar to the ones made by TarmacEngineering but these are currently somewhere between the UK and Aus. I can't wait to have these fitted as I'm really not a fan of the way the Enkei centre caps look. Inside the car I've installed both the Double Apex USB charger and the OSIR O-REST dead pedal. Both products are really great quality and I'm very happy with the result. Also for anyone looking for a phone mount, I picked up a Kenu Airframe and it's perfect.

This past weekend I headed down to Wakefield park with the Downshift guys for some happy laps in the rain. Aside from it being a blast, I realised I am both brakes-limited, lacking some steering feel and wanting a bit more in the power department. Also had this picture snapped of me at Wakefield.

Performance wise the only thing I've done so far is have a GFB DV+ diverter valve installed. My butt dyno tells me the car holds boost better, but the difference wasn't that noticeable over the stock diverter valve to be honest. However all this is about to change. I have now booked in a Stage 1 Tune with Mark from ReCode. After lurking for so long on these forums and hearing all the good things about ReCode, I'm really excited to see what Mark can do with my car.

My plans beside the tune are currently (shouts to stephen8512, morph, Machine, Nat and countless others for the ideas and knowledge throughout the forum):
    • Superpro Supaloy Lower Control Arms & Anti-Lift Kit
    • UniBrace UB chassis brace
    • Brake lines, pads & fluid:
      • BrakesDirect custom braided brake lines (cheers to Ben from TarmacEngineering for the recommendation)
      • Forza FP3 Pads front & rear
      • Motul RBF600 fluid
    • Brake rotors:
      • Front: DBA 4000 Series T3 Slotted Rotors
      • Rear: DBA Street Series T2 Slotted Rotors
    I'd love to hear people's recommendations or thoughts on what I've got planned.

I'll try and find more time to update this build thread regularly over the next couple of months.

Cheers!
    Last edited by propellerhead92; 16-04-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Name
    Geman

Mark is the man, but imo while your at it and gonna get custom, just buy a downpipe and go stage 2 or even stage 2+.

Daily
    VW GOLF GTI MK6
    2nd Car
    hyundai santa fe
    Name
    Matt Ridley

I have stage 2 (custom dump/apr intake/recode tune) and it totally transforms the car.

If it was me skip stage 1 and go straight to stage 2. leave the factory cat back in as i think it sounds great with the dump and adds no performance gain to go 3"

Make sure the brake lines are ADR approved aswell
    2010 MK6 Golf GTI // Stage 2 Recode Tune // Ramp Custom Dump Pipe // APR carbon Intake // GFB DV+ // VWR 352MM Brake kit with Project Mu Pads // KW V3
    Arc Audio Black 10 // Mosconi 200.2 // Mosconi 100.4 // AD MM speakers // Alpine IVAW957 // Mosconi 6to8 Aerospace

Daily
    Cityrail
    2nd Car
    Mk6 R
    Name
    Rens

Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigy View Post
    Mark is the man, but imo while your at it and gonna get custom, just buy a downpipe and go stage 2 or even stage 2+.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2lmilk View Post
    I have stage 2 (custom dump/apr intake/recode tune) and it totally transforms the car.

If it was me skip stage 1 and go straight to stage 2. leave the factory cat back in as i think it sounds great with the dump and adds no performance gain to go 3"

Make sure the brake lines are ADR approved aswell
    I have been thinking the same thing as you guys, however I want to see what the car feels like with stage 1 first. I'll have a chat to Mark about the next steps when we go stage 1 this week

Daily
    VW GOLF GTI MK6
    2nd Car
    hyundai santa fe
    Name
    Matt Ridley

I have a recode stage 2. Didn't see point in having to spent more money to go from stage 1 to 2.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    2010 MK6 Golf GTI // Stage 2 Recode Tune // Ramp Custom Dump Pipe // APR carbon Intake // GFB DV+ // VWR 352MM Brake kit with Project Mu Pads // KW V3
    Arc Audio Black 10 // Mosconi 200.2 // Mosconi 100.4 // AD MM speakers // Alpine IVAW957 // Mosconi 6to8 Aerospace

Daily
    Cityrail
    2nd Car
    Mk6 R
    Name
    Rens

So Wednesday was an interesting day. I took my car down to Port hacking Automotive for some Recode tuning awesomeness. Long story short, Mark completes the first baseline dyno run, only for us to realise my car already has a stage 1 tune on it when it made 184kW. No problem though, Mark loaded up a Recode map, and lo and behold, the car made 189.xxkW along with a tonne of extra lower end torque, all while increasing the FAR as the original stage 1 was running fairly lean. The difference before and after the Recode tune is pretty incredible, especially as peak power is only up 5kW. The car feels so much better, and pulls all the way through the rev range, rather than being very peaky.

After talking to Mark, I also bought a ceramic coated Asgard Engineering downpipe which will be fitted in the coming weeks. The map Mark loaded on my car is tuned to take advantage of the downpipe, and the car should be making over 200kW at the wheels with the DP fitted. I absolutely can’t wait.

I know I’m echoing the thoughts of everyone, but I want to say that Mark is a straight up great guy, and his service is exceptional. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend his expertise to anyone.

Also, for anyone contemplating the OSIR O-REST dead pedal, I highly recommend it. Looks the part and feels great once installed.
    Last edited by propellerhead92; 16-04-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Daily
    VW GOLF GTI MK6
    2nd Car
    hyundai santa fe
    Name
    Matt Ridley

Your going to need a new clutch soon.

I have the recode stage 2 aswell with a custom dump though. 100,000km old clutch does not like it

Im putting in a quaife LSD and xtreme clutch

Daily
    Cityrail
    2nd Car
    Mk6 R
    Name
    Rens

Your going to need a new clutch soon.

I have the recode stage 2 aswell with a custom dump though. 100,000km old clutch does not like it

Im putting in a quaife LSD and xtreme clutch
    Really? I hope it isn't that soon for me, as the car only has 25k kms on it now. Let me know how the LSD and new clutch go, I'd be very interested to hear.

A quick update: I now have a fairly hefty stockpile of items sitting at home waiting to be fitted. The brake rotors, pads and lines are all ready to go, so is the downpipe and the lower control arms. Just waiting on the Unibrace UB to arrive but that should be today (fingers crossed). I'll be heading on over to Hills Eurohaus to have it all fitted. Can't wait!

I also took the wheels off this past weekend, gave them a thorough clean, and fitted the OEM centre caps onto the new wheels. It looks so much better, about as OEM+ as I could hope for. I'll take some pictures as soon as I get some free time.

Daily
    VW GOLF GTI MK6
    2nd Car
    hyundai santa fe
    Name
    Matt Ridley

Mine has 100 on it. I would say you will be fine for a while. Wouldn't hold to much hope being dual mass flywheel though

Daily
    Cityrail
    2nd Car
    Mk6 R
    Name
    Rens

Mine has 100 on it. I would say you will be fine for a while. Wouldn't hold to much hope being dual mass flywheel though

Here's to hoping. Thanks for the heads up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread