Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, who's looked at or done tuning mods on their 1.4TSI?

Daily
    MkVII .:R-line wagon
    2nd Car
    Nissan Stagea C34s1
    Name
    Nick

So, who's looked at or done tuning mods on their 1.4TSI?

I'm still cursing the fact that VW had not confirmed that they'd be releasing the R in wagon format when I bought my car, but I'm otherwise quite happy with my R-line. However, any bump in power/torque is a good bump in power/torque, and I've just started the process of looking up what's available tuning-wise.

The two shops most local to me are BWA and Ramspeed, any ideas and/or recommendations on where to look next in the general Parramatta/Blacktown/Hills areas? I know Hills Eurohaus aren't too far away in Castle Hill, either.

Daily
    bus/737b
    2nd Car
    MK7 Golf R
    Name
    Andy

isn't it a bit risky tuning with the 7speed dsg?
    2016 MK7 R LGM DSG

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Carrot01 View Post
    Yes sort of - but its the same gearbox they use in the Polo GTI which has around 140kw - so theoretically should be ok in the 1.4TSI.

interesting to note the polo gti is capped at 250nm, which is the same as the golf7 103tsi (103kw/250nm) and 110tsi (110kw/250nm)

probably has to do with the 7-speed dsg having dry clutches, which aren't great for transferring high torque (as opposed to the wet clutches used in the 6-speed dsg on the gti and r)

wise to seek first hand experience of someone with a tune on a car with a dry clutch 7-speed dsg

is your car a manual?

Daily
    BMW 125i F20 LCI
    2nd Car
    A3 1.8TFSI Quattro
    Name
    Aaron

I'm running APR Stage 1 on a 118TSI with 339nm. Handles it just fine but not sure about the long run. Currently had it for just over a year.
    2016 BMW F20 LCI 125i M-sport ///

SOLD 2009 APR 118TSI: United Grey | APR Stage 1+ | Custom Cat-back NonRes | CTS Intake | Forge Spacer | LED Interior, reverse, parkers | New pistons, water pump, revised timing chain

Daily
    MkVII .:R-line wagon
    2nd Car
    Nissan Stagea C34s1
    Name
    Nick

Yep, I have asked questions about the DSG's longevity.

Either way, I'm not going to go nuts on the power and torque, but wouldn't mind a bit of a bump up to make it a bit more interesting, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue (hopefully). One of the tunes runs out to about 315Nm and the other is around 292Nm.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

The main issues with the DSG are not related to tuning and too much torque, they are more so related to the clutches (and gbox oil) overheating and this is generally due to people creeping forward constantly in traffic jams (which causes the clutches to slip and get hot) rather than treating the gearbox as if it where a manual (which it basically is - with a computer brain controlling the clutch).

If you crept forward all the time in a manual car you would kill your clutch in a matter of years, and this is also the case with the 7 speed DSG.

Daily
    bus/737b
    2nd Car
    MK7 Golf R
    Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The main issues with the DSG are not related to tuning and too much torque, they are more so related to the clutches (and gbox oil) overheating and this is generally due to people creeping forward constantly in traffic jams (which causes the clutches to slip and get hot) rather than treating the gearbox as if it where a manual (which it basically is - with a computer brain controlling the clutch).

If you crept forward all the time in a manual car you would kill your clutch in a matter of years, and this is also the case with the 7 speed DSG.
    the clutches are dry, so why would them slipping overheat the GB oil?
    (not trying to be a smartarse here, just interested to know as my neighbour has a mk7 7 speed)
    2016 MK7 R LGM DSG

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

the clutches are dry, so why would them slipping overheat the GB oil?
    (not trying to be a smartarse here, just interested to know as my neighbour has a mk7 7 speed)
    There is still oil in the gearbox, just not surrounding the clutches. The slipping of the clutches is the main issue on the DSG (but especially so on the 7 speed DQ200 model) because there is no oil to help dissipate the heat.

Daily
    bus/737b
    2nd Car
    MK7 Golf R
    Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    There is still oil in the gearbox, just not surrounding the clutches. The slipping of the clutches is the main issue on the DSG (but especially so on the 7 speed DQ200 model) because there is no oil to help dissipate the heat.
    yes I realize that, so you are saying the heat transfers thru the slipping clutches, GB housing/shafts etc to the oil bath for the gears - seems strange but anyway I'm good :-)
    cheers
    2016 MK7 R LGM DSG

+ Reply to Thread