Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem Cambelt n Water Pump Change

Daily
    Golf mk 4 1.9Tdi
    Name
    stanley binns

Problem Cambelt n Water Pump Change

Hi

I have just started to change the Cambelt and Water Pump on my daughters 2003 Golf 1.9Tdi PD100 , the first problem I have come across is that I don't seem to be able to remove the mounting bracket that is bolted to the engine , I have lowered the engine slightly and raised it slightly , but there just does not seem to be the clearance to pull it out , am I missing something here , also I am having a hard time trying to undo the Allen screws to remove crankshaft damper (6mm Allen Key) am afraid I will strip the allen head in the screws , then I will be fxxxxx .
    any help idea's on my predicement .
    cheers

Spike

Daily
    Polo GTI
    2nd Car
    S3
    Name
    Gavin

You need to jack the engine up and down lots to get the mount out. All mk4s are like that.

Stick the car in gear to crack the crank pulley bolts. They do come out easy normally. I use an allen socket and decent length ratchet. Take up the slack then apply a good yank on the ratchet. If you round one out, knock an M8 spline into it and do the same.

Gavin

Daily
    Golf mk 4 1.9Tdi
    Name
    stanley binns

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    You need to jack the engine up and down lots to get the mount out. All mk4s are like that.

Stick the car in gear to crack the crank pulley bolts. They do come out easy normally. I use an allen socket and decent length ratchet. Take up the slack then apply a good yank on the ratchet. If you round one out, knock an M8 spline into it and do the same.

Gavin
    Thanks for that Gavin

Don't suppose you know which way to go , up or down , to get it out , it seems that it has to go a long way, am afraid I might damage the flexi bit of exhaust attached to the engine if I go to far each way ! , was thinking of taking of the Dog bone and try to prise the engine back that small amount ! .

I am not very confident in doing this job ,but I have started so I will have to get it done .

thanks again for your reply .

spike

+ Reply to Thread