Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aliexpress downpipe with 200 cell cat.

Daily
    2007 Golf GTI
    Name
    Hayden

Aliexpress downpipe with 200 cell cat.

I thought I'd spin the wheel of chance and buy a downpipe from Aliexpress during the 11/11 sales. Purchased from a store called "MTPerformance" which sells Mertop branded items. The cost of a MK5/6 GTI downpipe with a 200 cell cat was AU$315.31 including delivery to Sydney.

Here's an album with more high-res shots: http://imgur.com/a/ZGhPO

I followed this youtube video for removal/installation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp2fTReZByQ

It had already punctured through the flimsy packaging when it arrived but thankfully it's a pretty solid stainless pipe.

I'm no expert, but the welds generally looked pretty good.

Cat which still had some loose debris from shipping.

Side-by-side of the stock downpipe vs the new shiny one.

Sensors and hanger fitted.

After reading that the Chinese supplied gaskets are always rubbish, I went out and bought a new genuine gasket. It's true the supplied gasket was rubbish. A new one cost me about $30 but required driving to 4 different locations. Get the gasket first and save yourself some drama.

It was all going so well until... that's the metal hanger touching the subframe. The noise it made was incredible like the car was about to fall apart.

Hanger alignment was quite a long way off. Too far to the left and rotated slightly clockwise.

I took the car to my local mechanic and had him grind off the hanger and reweld it at a cost of $100.

Tuning it up to Bluefin Stage 2.

So the total cost for upgrading from stage 1 -> stage 2 was:
    $315.31 Downpipe
    $~30.00 Gasket
    $100.00 Rewelding the hanger
    $ 73.90 Superchips stage 2

Total cost
    ~$519.21AUD

The car seems considerably livelier. Bluefin Stage 1 was pretty great, but stage 2 is just more fun. Gotta watch the throttle otherwise you're spinning the wheels even with new sticky tyres. The pipe itself seems well made but the seller wasn't willing to come to the table regarding the hanger fitment. They claimed it was made to fit a US Golf not an Australian Golf. I called bullshit and gave them a one star rating. All things considered the pipe sounds good, works well and was a bargain. Would have been a super bargain if it worked without modification though.
    Last edited by Blasphemy; 05-12-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Daily
    Golf R MK6
    2nd Car
    03 Nissan 350z Track
    Name
    Peter

Even though you had to do modify it a bit it was still a bargain! Was wondering if it will fit a golf r mk6 as they are not very specific on the listing and also if it will bolt directly onto the stock exhaust because it seems like it goes from 3in to possibly 2.5in.
    Im assuming this is the one you got? https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...860.0.0.BZQ47K
    Last edited by PeteBruss; 06-12-2016 at 03:56 AM.

Daily
    2007 Golf GTI
    Name
    Hayden

I'm not sure about the specifics of the mk6r. You'd need to check hanger alignment (seems way further to the left), 02 sensor placement and the diameter of the pipe at the exhaust end. I mean... maybe it would fit? but only with some mods at an exhaust shop. I wouldn't count on it just slotting in.

Daily
    bus/737b
    2nd Car
    MK7 Golf R
    Name
    Andy

looks good!
    2016 MK7 R LGM DSG

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by PeteBruss View Post
    Even though you had to do modify it a bit it was still a bargain! Was wondering if it will fit a golf r mk6 as they are not very specific on the listing and also if it will bolt directly onto the stock exhaust because it seems like it goes from 3in to possibly 2.5in.
    Im assuming this is the one you got? https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...860.0.0.BZQ47K
    The Golf R has the tailshaft and head shields to contend with which means the design of the downpipe needs to be spot-on so as to not hit anything. Wait until you get under the car and see how tight everything fits together on the Golf R - there's no room for error.

These cheap downpipes are make for the front wheel drive models like the GTI and Jetta, im almost certain that you would run into fitment/rubbing issues if you tried to fit one to your Golf R - but in saying that, feel free if you want to try it.

The stock exhaust on the Golf R and GTI is approx 2.4" - 2.5" so all of the aftermarket downpipes taper down to this diameter so that the downpipes can mate up with the factory catback.
    Mk6 Golf GTI | Manual | DNA Tuned
    The GTI is for sale Ring 0422 247 831

+ Reply to Thread