Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: R Upgrades, post down pipe and early eco

Daily
    golf r 2012
    2nd Car
    eType 69convertable
    Name
    Damo

R Upgrades, post down pipe and early eco

I got a down pipe and after having a mate of a mate turn my GTI with only a chip into a car that matched my r stock i s h a t the bed and couldn't wait fot other parts to arrive and got the eco done.
    Not ideal as i should have been less A.D.D but you get that.
    Firstly the thing is hell fun. Sounds nits, smash all i found so far but naturally why stop there.

I have been told
    - Intercooler upgrade
    _ Fuel pump
    dump pipe back?

then the tune, I read that there is a dsg tune and eco tune. Didn't know they were seperate. He did them both i am guessing as the noises and changes are next level.
    I only did the dump pipe and its loud. I thought this would assist wth noise but i don't know, i scare woman and children.
    Does the rest of the system make it worse of not?

Secondly I read a bloke talking about the "d" setting vs the "s" which i agree is useless really.
    Makes it sound like its a 40 year chain smoker running up hill, working harder than a tranny pro at a bikers party.
    I use manual shift when making a quick get away but would appreciate any advice for tuning suggestions to make general driving less offensive for those in the villages around my house.

What proformace parts would others recommend?
    Of the 2 listed would you worse yourself of eBay?
    if so which partsorbrands?

I have heaps of cars but there is something about the R that makes me giggle, so many Golfs on the road and its obvious instantly that they are different species.

Great forum
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Brand for rotors and pads please as i have a squeak that snaps me!

Cheers
    Last edited by dimdimeezy; 08-12-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Daily
    MkVI R
    2nd Car
    MkIV 2.slow
    Name
    Jon

Unsure what an "Eco" tune is, but I'm sure you mean ECU Tune. Volkswagens aren't like JDM cars though. 99% of Tuners go in stages and offer free upgrade tunes per stage. Some only offer this if you buy their specifically branded hardware.

Generally it goes like this for the TFSI motors.

Stage 0 - Stock
    Stage 1 - ECU Tune
    Stage 1+ - Downpipe & ECU Re-Tune (makes the most of the extra exhaust flow and codes out the check engine light due to richer fueling)
    Stage 2+ - High Pressure Fuel Pump & ECU Re-Tune (Gets you the most out the fuel pump and provides a lot of extra flow)

An Intake is highly recommended to help the Turbo breathe easier and is usually done after an ECU Tune or Downpipe. No re-tune required for it unless you're custom mapping. An Intercooler can be thrown in anywhere, but it's usually done after Stage 2+. There's no re-tune for "Stage 2" though as it's more commonly used in the TSI motor scene as they don't have to upgrade their Fuel Pumps like the TFSI motors need to for maximum power without a new Turbo. A DSG Tune can be thrown in anywhere as well to really get the most out of the box and get rid of the Torque Limiter. People usually get it with the ECU Tune.

A DSG Tune will make D hold gears longer (instead of hypermiling it and trying to get to 6th gear ASAP) and it'll also make S a lot more bearable. It won't hold gears all the way until redline unless you get on it.

The recommendation for Parts and Tune will vary largely on where you live. I myself live around the Templestowe/Doncaster East area of Melbourne. This put me not far from the likes of Volkwerke (best servicer in Melbourne IMO bar none) and they also supply GIAC Tunes and Performance Parts. I've done all my Performance mods through DubAddiction in Springvale. Tim does Driver Motorsport and GIAC Tunes as well as a plethora of other installs and supplies.

I get my miscellaneous stuff from Dean @ VW Central in Braeside. He can basically get you anything your car can use for generally the lowest price going around.
    Driver Motorsport Tuned | Melbourne Car Meets | Insta: @RefrigerVADERR

Daily
    golf r 2012
    2nd Car
    eType 69convertable
    Name
    Damo

Vaderr.

Mate may i say thank you for the most informative reply i could have asked for....

Exactly what i was after, every thing i needed to know. you legend!

I am in the same area. I am at 1+ atm

the price for the next step is one that made me hesitate. Have you had experience with the difference in gains from a 1+ and state 2?
    I have the dump pipe and am looking to do the rest now with the fuel pump..
    Wondering what the noise will be like as it makes people jump as it is...

The initial take off is suffering since all this and the drivetrain will go but till then party on i guess.

if you have a rough figure someone should expect for the 1+ to 2 jump should roughly be and there is a lead time for parts sourcing as they are all O.S i have been told?

Thanks again mate I owe you a slab.
    D

Daily
    MkVI R
    2nd Car
    MkIV 2.slow
    Name
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by dimdimeezy View Post
    Vaderr.

Mate may i say thank you for the most informative reply i could have asked for....

Exactly what i was after, every thing i needed to know. you legend!

I am in the same area. I am at 1+ atm

the price for the next step is one that made me hesitate. Have you had experience with the difference in gains from a 1+ and state 2?
    I have the dump pipe and am looking to do the rest now with the fuel pump..
    Wondering what the noise will be like as it makes people jump as it is...

The initial take off is suffering since all this and the drivetrain will go but till then party on i guess.

if you have a rough figure someone should expect for the 1+ to 2 jump should roughly be and there is a lead time for parts sourcing as they are all O.S i have been told?

Thanks again mate I owe you a slab.
    D
    Apologies for the late reply, haven't been browsing much lately.

It all depends on who you're tuned with. Some tuners charge for Stage Upgrades, some don't. An Autotech HPFP from VW Central is around $500 IIRC. It'll be about a $50-$100 install depending on which company you go with I believe. Then the Re-Tune may cost money or may not.

As for noise, you won't hear any noise changes from the Fuel Pump.

Daily
    golf r 2012
    2nd Car
    eType 69convertable
    Name
    Damo

Did you just... Wtf.....
    You deserve a slab

I am looking to do the fuel pump and the down side back of the exhaust.
    I was recommended to do the intercooler too but i'm still tossing it up.

I was buying parts. having them installed on place then tuned another. the next quote was hefty hence the research, is mail i'm getting alright and roughly what out lay you reckon legend

Daily
    MkVI R
    2nd Car
    MkIV 2.slow
    Name
    Jon

Did you just... Wtf.....
    You deserve a slab

I am looking to do the fuel pump and the down side back of the exhaust.
    I was recommended to do the intercooler too but i'm still tossing it up.

I was buying parts. having them installed on place then tuned another. the next quote was hefty hence the research, is mail i'm getting alright and roughly what out lay you reckon legend
    Don't worry about the cat-back, it's just noise with no performance gain. Put the money towards an Intercooler instead.

Who are you tuned with and who's doing your parts? That might help us out.

Daily
    golf r 2012
    2nd Car
    eType 69convertable
    Name
    Damo

Don't worry about the cat-back, it's just noise with no performance gain. Put the money towards an Intercooler instead.

I will have to find the card, down the hume 20 minutes past the freeway.

Do you have a grey VW-R?
    I'm in bexhill a bit and since your amazing reply's i have been seeing golfs and wondering which is you...

Honestly bro the quote i was given to do intercooler and pump was spastic, he also told me that the exhaust was crucial to the gains which is in complete contrast to what you have said and i tend to believe you sir.

So i would like a recommendation pls for the pump and intercooler and tune.

I have a few maintainance things to do, i bought mine cheap as i was a car wholesaler but it was long in the tooth with km's.
    I stole the car but like all things that shine.
    there is a warp in two disk's so thats a must.

I am dues for tyres, and although losing traction isn't easy i would like to replace them. Do you know a tyre bloke local?
    I worked out of port melbourne and only know blokes over the bridge and its a long haul for some cheeper rubber. I want performance and quiet.

My transmission has 120 km's on the clock and i have read that the box is good for 500 hp but my clutch is waining and the only tranny place i know is prickles and they only do trade, they are in north melbourne. I don't think i will be able to do the trade thing.

So in summary, i would like please sir.
    Transmission place recommendation?
    intercooler and pump recommendation?
    Tune recommendation?
    Tyre bloke?
    Please sir.
    Just want to add your a legend and i thank you for all your assistance thus far. Genuinely.

Daily
    MkVI R
    2nd Car
    MkIV 2.slow
    Name
    Jon

I will have to find the card, down the hume 20 minutes past the freeway.

Do you have a grey VW-R?
    I'm in bexhill a bit and since your amazing reply's i have been seeing golfs and wondering which is you...

Honestly bro the quote i was given to do intercooler and pump was spastic, he also told me that the exhaust was crucial to the gains which is in complete contrast to what you have said and i tend to believe you sir.

So i would like a recommendation pls for the pump and intercooler and tune.

I have a few maintainance things to do, i bought mine cheap as i was a car wholesaler but it was long in the tooth with km's.
    I stole the car but like all things that shine.
    there is a warp in two disk's so thats a must.

I am dues for tyres, and although losing traction isn't easy i would like to replace them. Do you know a tyre bloke local?
    I worked out of port melbourne and only know blokes over the bridge and its a long haul for some cheeper rubber. I want performance and quiet.

My transmission has 120 km's on the clock and i have read that the box is good for 500 hp but my clutch is waining and the only tranny place i know is prickles and they only do trade, they are in north melbourne. I don't think i will be able to do the trade thing.

So in summary, i would like please sir.
    Transmission place recommendation?
    intercooler and pump recommendation?
    Tune recommendation?
    Tyre bloke?
    Please sir.
    Just want to add your a legend and i thank you for all your assistance thus far. Genuinely.
    I've got all my stuff through DubAddiction in Springvale. Very cheap compared to competitors and Tim always has time for people. He does DriverMotorsport Tunes and GIAC. I'm running DriverMotorsport Stage 2+ DSG and ECU Tune.

I believe Tim charges $250 to do an Intercooler install and around $50 to do a HPFP.

I do have a Grey R with the plates "VADERR" it's widebody and currently has Audi A5 wheels and white front Fenders. Looking horrid, but I'm in Doncaster East.

If there's a warp in the disks, they can be machined. I used Brakes Plus in Nunawading to do my pads when I got them done. Good guys and cheap.

Yep, Import Monster in Bayswater. It's a short drive from mine (like 15/20mins) through Ringwood and they always do me good prices. Drop my name and he'll sort you out.

As for Transmission, I'd be going to Volkwerke. The guys there are amazing. They also do GIAC Tunes, CTS Performance Parts, and general maintenance like brakes. They can also do Tyres.

+ Reply to Thread