Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice needed for a MIB II Retrofit

Daily
    Mk7 Golf 90TSI DSG
    Name
    Mike Jurisic

Advice needed for a MIB II Retrofit

Hi guys,

I got my hands on an MIB II unit, 8" screen and control unit, from a wrecked 2016 GTi (I know, so sad ). I have a MY15 90TSI base model and it has the MIB I with the small screen.
    Obvious question, can it be retrofit? And is there a guide anyone knows about?

Cheers,
    Mike

I'm curious too. I'd start with exporting the VCD config from both cars and trying to compare them. I'd doubt it would be hot swappable, but I can't see any reason VW would waste effort security coding them.

Please update here with your results.

Daily
    Golf 103TSI
    2nd Car
    Polo (6R)

^^^^^^^^^ hmm............ more than happy to be proven wrong, but I would have thought that there would be a conflict in the resolution capability of the existing MIB unit in the glove-box. My hunch is that the larger screen from the MIB II will have a higher resolution - doesn't make sense for the 8" screen to have the same pixel count as smaller screens. If you pursue the retrofit - I would try a temporary arrangement first (don't actually fit the larger screen into the car) because I suspect that there may be issues (alas) !

Don
    Golf MkVII (103 TSI) my13

Daily
    Golf 7 R
    2nd Car
    Golf 7 GTI
    Name
    Chris

I had an 8" MIB II retrofit done on my MY15...

Sorry to say it, but it's likely you will find you have purchased a boat anchor.

Apart from being individually configured to my VIN in Europe there was a huge amount of work at Automodelista and VW central.

It required ODIS Engineering and remote sessions with their Europe guru to get everything working correctly...

Good luck, but I'd doubt if you'll get anywhere.
    PW DSG Golf 7R- passed on the pleather
    PW Golf 7 GTI

+ Reply to Thread