Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New key without original?

Daily
    Ford Ranger Ute
    2nd Car
    VW Golf TSI
    Name
    paul Williams

New key without original?

Would appreciate any help on this one.

I have a VW Golf in my name. I have just split with my partner and she has taken the car. I have been to the police who can't help as altho its in my name, she had use of it so I have to go thru the courts to get back which seems ridiculous if you ask me, but they did say that there is nothing stopping me taking it back, but there's 1 massive problem! We only ever had 1 key to the vehicle! ... I'm just wondering is there anyway of getting another key cut somehow ?! Long shot I know, but worthy of a question as I don't know!

Cheers

Daily
    2011 Golf R DSG
    Name
    Adam

The first thing you would need is the VIN. Got the rego papers? That may be enough for a trip to a dealer and get a new key. Probably won't be cheap.

Call a dealer and tell them you lost your keys then see what's involved exactly. I wouldn't mention the missus situation.

Daily
    2010 Golf R
    2nd Car
    2014 Diavel
    Name
    Adam

Sorry mate

Dealer will need a working key to "clone" to make a spare, but seeing as you only have one with no access to it,
    the only other option is to have the car towed to a dealer and have the door lock, glove box, ignition and immobiliser replaced and keys to suit new gear.

Parts and labour would be in the $x,000s.

When I bought my R 2nd hand from a (Non VAG) dealer, it only came with one key. I got a new one made up ($480 from VW) and took a week as the immobiliser codes are stored at the head office in Germany (Or so they told me). Sent invoice to non VAG dealer under 3 month warranty claim

Not giving u any ideas but probably easier and cheaper to hire a thug to do a bag snatch on ur ex and get the key back.

+ Reply to Thread