Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: misfire and no link to obd port

Daily
    Honda Accord
    2nd Car
    Mk4 Golf, Toyota 86
    Name
    Chris O'Brien

misfire and no link to obd port

Appreciate any feedback,

1.6 SR AVU

I had engine issues with a misfire causing crap idle and a serious lurch / shuddering when the car was hot, I changed the plugs, leads, ignition coil and still the same, I perused the forums and changed the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body, maf and egr valve, still the same.
    I tried to get codes but couldn't so continued down the path of replacements.
    I changed the coolant temp sensor and it was so much better but not fixed entirely.
    I disconnected the egr sensor and it was better again... I feel that I need to delete or replace this to solve the issue.

What I really need is to get the codes from this car and this is whats driving me crazy I have followed every forum post and tried all the obvious candidates, tested the obd2 port with a meter and get good voltage (13) on pin 16, good earths at 4 & 5, 13 on pin 1 and 13 on 7.
    From what i understand then, pin 7 should be around 3.5?

I have cut K line from the radio, tried it with ABS and Airbag modules disconnected, tried it with ccm unplugged, there is nothing else left? I haven't bothered trying to unplug ecu yet but removed fuses and still no good.
    Fuses 5 and 12 are good, its not power, there is an obvious short circuit to power that shouldn't be there.
    how can i check this with a meter?

I'm nearly ready to take it to an auto elec but I really hate to give up....

Daily
    Polo GTI
    2nd Car
    S3
    Name
    Gavin

And what scanner are you using? I would say don't do anything else until you have tried to read it with VCDS.

Daily
    Honda Accord
    2nd Car
    Mk4 Golf, Toyota 86
    Name
    Chris O'Brien

I've tried with 2 usb dongles and a good quality Bosch handheld scanner, that is supposed to support the Golf.
    I'm fairly sure it can read it, if I can find out why there is 12 volts on the K line first.
    Thanks for reply

Daily
    Honda Accord
    2nd Car
    Mk4 Golf, Toyota 86
    Name
    Chris O'Brien

well I'm about over this car now.. Ive disconnected just about every module and can't find any shorts..
    after nearly disassembling the entire car to find some annoying issue the damn thing won't start or even try and start.
    I disconnected the airbag module to test the voltage at the obd port, sure enough no difference.
    I had to move the car so tried to start it but no go so I thought ok must be it thinks I'm not safe enough to drive so I put the module back and reconnected but still no go.
    Battery is connected and has 12 volts but doesn't even try and start.
    I now have airbag warning light and abs warning light but Inever even got around to disconnecting the abs module yet...

Seriously I'm going to put this to the wreckers for scrap and write VW off as a bad investment.
    Only 85000 kms with a lady owner and service history but so many problems is a joke.
    I eventually had it running well by blanking the egr valve.
    After spending money on plugs, leads, coil, fuel filter and heaps of my time.
    Not to mention fixing crap wiring to the speedo.
    It was roadworthy and ready for reg but I just had to fix the obd port.. damn damn damn

I really expected better from this car.

The obd thing has done it for me, I'm buggered if I'm going to persist just to go down the rabbit hole of the central locking which has been peeing me off as a side issue.

Daily
    2013 VW Golf GTD
    2nd Car
    99 Audi A4 Quat 2.1L
    Name
    Luke

Hi bud. I have heard before that the obd wiring being damaged can cause a link issue. Have you traced the wiring to check?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Daily
    Honda Accord
    2nd Car
    Mk4 Golf, Toyota 86
    Name
    Chris O'Brien

Hey thx for the reply, I've traced it as far back as I can but no breaks,

I did have broken wires off the speed sensor for speedo that took a long time to find, lol.

I have disconnected every module and still get 12 volts from pin 7.
    Since my last post I did get the car going and have continued the search albeit with a bit less enthusiasm now.

I have read about CCM module causing this issue but my car has an aftermarket central locking fitted (not working)
    So this shouldn't be causing the issue nevertheless next on the to do list is pulling all the lock modules out.

+ Reply to Thread