Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: O2 Spacer or Tune for Downpipe CEL Light

Daily
    Golf R MK6
    2nd Car
    03 Nissan 350z Track
    Name
    Peter

O2 Spacer or Tune for Downpipe CEL Light

I have a Golf R Mk6 currently on APR stage 1 tune and a few days ago I ordered a milltek catted turboback exhaust. I want to know is it really beneficial to get the APR stage 2 tune, is the tune just to get rid of the CEL light or does it help with performance and optimising the engine with the downpipe to run better etc compared to just getting an O2 spacer that will just clear the CEL light. The tune is a few hundred dollars (think I was quoted $300 when I rang a while ago) and the O2 spacer is around $30 so can someone please let me know if a tune is worth it because it does cost quite a bit. Also if anyone knows if the 3in milltek 200cell downpipe will throw a CEL light straight away or if it doesnt throw anything because i heard on some downpipes dont throw any codes.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

You will get a CEL....might take a day or two's worth of driving but it will pop up and stay there until you either get a o2 spacer (and then get the CEL cleared with a scan tool) or get the updated tune.

Daily
    Golf R MK6
    2nd Car
    03 Nissan 350z Track
    Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    You will get a CEL....might take a day or two's worth of driving but it will pop up and stay there until you either get a o2 spacer (and then get the CEL cleared with a scan tool) or get the updated tune.
    Oh but does the updated tune offer any other benefit over the o2 spacer other than clearing the CEL light? Would it increase reliability/performance, obviously performance gains come instantly after installing the downpipe but does it provide additional gains over the O2 spacer? Or does it just permanently remove the cel light and not worth the $300 for the tune

Daily
    Polo GTI
    2nd Car
    S3
    Name
    Gavin

Get the tune, there's no point whatsoever fitting a tbe system without it. You might as well throw the Downpipe in the bin..

You can't make use of the earlier spool and improved midrange without a tune.

Gavin

Daily
    Golf R MK6
    2nd Car
    03 Nissan 350z Track
    Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Get the tune, there's no point whatsoever fitting a tbe system without it. You might as well throw the Downpipe in the bin..

You can't make use of the earlier spool and improved midrange without a tune.

Gavin
    Thanks for the replys. I'll be getting the tune

+ Reply to Thread