Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thermo fans not coming on

Daily
    MK3 VR6
    Name
    Alex

Thermo fans not coming on

Hi

on a roadtrip my thermo fans decided to not come on and was only alerted by this through rising oil temp and discovered all the coolant had either boiled over or leaked out not sure which but i have no discovered a tiny crack in one of the rear coolant hoses going into the heater...

ive followed the guides to test everything the fans do work i shorted them out on both the low and high setting using a paper clip however on the low setting the paper clip got very hot not sure if thats a significant issue... i do believe ive checked all the relevant fuses and they are intact... im not sure whether it is the rad thermo sensor as the temp gauge appears to read true warms up gradually as the car does to 90 and stays about there always cooler than the oil once warm. im really lost as to what it could be. i have noticed the a/c switch wont light up when pressed although theres no gas in it did light up before this issue

if anyone could help id be highly appreciative

cheers

Daily
    Polo GTI
    2nd Car
    S3
    Name
    Gavin

You wont have the fans come on if the sensor isn't in water. The paperclip will get really hot as there''s loads of current flowing through it.

My suggestion, if sort the leak and then try again.

Don''tr be driving it until you do. You be up for a new motor if you do.

Gavin

Daily
    FW-190Cv18
    2nd Car
    1994 S4 2000 S3
    Name
    Seb

As long as your moving you shouldnt need fans . Fans are only for when you are stationary for longer periods of time . If youre overheating while non-stop driving you need to look at coolant flow i.e. any blockages in the cooling system/failure of thermostat to open etc

+ Reply to Thread