Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Air Con issue!

Daily
    F30 BMW 328i
    2nd Car
    2006 Golf GTI MK5
    Name
    Rob

Another Air Con issue!

FML The AC decided to shit itself tonight. Went to move the car, heard an odd belt noise as if the belt was slipping on a pulley, smelt a burning smell which I believe was electrical and BOOM! AC not cooling now

I have a feeling it could be either:

a) AC Control valve (one inside the compressor)

or

b) AC Pressure switch (one on the ac line)

Does anyone know how to test these switches?

Daily
    F30 BMW 328i
    2nd Car
    2006 Golf GTI MK5
    Name
    Rob

So after speaking with a few 'air con' people it's unlikely (but still possible) that these sensors are faulty and more likely that the compressor has failed internally. That burning smell came through the vents in the cabin, is more likely to be an internal compressor failure. I've lost faith in the Mech that installed it after questioning him about the previous install as to whether or not the correct procedures where taken. Flushing out the system etc.

Luckily I have another mate in European spares and I've managed to acquired another compressor. I have a mobile air con person who can flush and vacuum the system for me on Thursday.

I'll have an update then...

my AC seems to only get really cold whilst im driving. Once im stopped at the lights, it starts blowing out regular air... which kinda sucks in 35 degree heat..

would you happen to know if that's my compressor gone ? Or do i need a re-gas :\

Daily
    F30 BMW 328i
    2nd Car
    2006 Golf GTI MK5
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jaackyy View Post
    my AC seems to only get really cold whilst im driving. Once im stopped at the lights, it starts blowing out regular air... which kinda sucks in 35 degree heat..

would you happen to know if that's my compressor gone ? Or do i need a re-gas :\
    It should also blow cold air while stationary. Do your fans come on at all? Also you should be able to feel the high pressure side pipe and it should be cold while the air con is on. A re-gas would be your cheapest option and worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Roemac View Post
    It should also blow cold air while stationary. Do your fans come on at all? Also you should be able to feel the high pressure side pipe and it should be cold while the air con is on. A re-gas would be your cheapest option and worth a try.
    This only happens on really hot days. (ie; 30+ and my car's been out in the sun like an oven) if im stationary, it blows out kind of neutral feeling air, which pre much does nothing in the heat of my car. The fans are definately on, just not cooled at all.

Yeah, I was thinking that too but wanted to see if it could be due to anything else before I go for a re-gas.

Daily
    Driftspec GTI
    2nd Car
    Rallyspec R
    Name
    Trackspec 32

ur fans might not be working. make sure all your fans in ur engine bay are spinning when your ac is on.

in order for AC to make cool air- it has to make a multitude of hot air- and then the environment must get rid of it.
    so driving is one of the most effective ways to get rid of this hot air-
    AC while your car isnt driving is super stressful on the compressor and parts. especially on a hot day

AC on a cool humid day is surprisingly effective at removing humidity but also does not stress the compressor as hard etc.

might want to make sure your radiator is clear of debris aswell.
    Last edited by mek; 18-01-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Daily
    F30 BMW 328i
    2nd Car
    2006 Golf GTI MK5
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by mek View Post
    AC while your car isnt driving is super stressful on the compressor and parts. especially on a hot day
    I fear this is what seized my compressor last week. That and possibly lack of oil in the system.

In any case i've got another compressor and have ordered myself a A/C manifold gauge set and plan to work on it this weekend (flush the lines and swap compressor etc) The only thing I'm having trouble sourcing now is some compatible flushing agent (Trying to import some from O/S is really fkn expensive ) I also have a vacuum pump that I can use to pull a vacuum to A) test for leaks and B) evacuate any left over moisture or flushing agent. I'll pay someone to Evacuate the refrigerant and do the re gas once I complete the work (otherwise I would have given this a go myself if I were legally allowed to )

More fun and games playing, let's pull the front end of the car off again. Luckily I don't mind working on the Golf, that and the weather in Sydney has cooled down for now. Updates to come....

Daily
    F30 BMW 328i
    2nd Car
    2006 Golf GTI MK5
    Name
    Rob

Can anyone recommend a compatible flushing solvent for this purpose?

Daily
    Driftspec GTI
    2nd Car
    Rallyspec R
    Name
    Trackspec 32

im not sure if flushing solvent is necessary. ive heard people just running extra coolant in the system to flush it...

I wouldn't DIY ac regas simply because ive got people that can do the whole job for under 150 bux. with the proper gas too none of that dodgy LPG crap

just make sure you vacum the system for ages and make sure its bone dry.

what probably wrecked ur compressor is a bad fan not cooling the condenser-

a dirty condenser radiator with bugs in it not cooling properly. or just age.

Daily
    F30 BMW 328i
    2nd Car
    2006 Golf GTI MK5
    Name
    Rob

I definitely won't be re gassing or evacuating the A/C gases myself. A couple of local A/C mobile guys can do it for $80 so that's all good.

Condenser/Dryer unit was replaced for a brand new unit late last year so that's all good too.

I fear if it was an internal failure that there's metal particles in the system that need to be clear now before reinstalling the replacement compressor.

I'll figure something out

+ Reply to Thread